I'm really p****d off

Discussion in 'UK and Europe' started by Ianb, Mar 28, 2003.

  1. Ianb

    Ianb Guest

    Two weeks ago I had a rear wheel puncture, I had already fitted my first spare tube to the front
    when it went down at our Lunch stop, so as near home I made it on a "Pump & Run" so two tubes to fix
    but I failed to find the cause of the rear tyre problem. Anyway, made sure that ex-rear wheel tube
    did not go back there (it went onto the front wheel). Next week, a rear flat on the road, again
    unable to find any cause so spare went on. Next morning a rear flat again. Carefully noted relative
    position of tube & cover and of the hole on the tube - NOTHING FOUND. Went right round the tyre,
    turned it inside out to check for nasties, ran my fingers over every inch and then went round
    outside of it removing every flint or nasty that I could find. Pumped up nice & hard, did 40 miles
    three days ago, still hard. checked two days ago, hard. Got my spare bike out for a shopping trip
    today & yes that tyre is completely flat again This time I have a mark on the cover so I know where
    the valve was which way round it is so cross fingers etc WILL I FIND IT?
    --
    IanB

    swap my names around to reply to me

    Tags:

  2. Simon Mason

    Simon Mason Guest

    "IanB" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > Two weeks ago I had a rear wheel puncture, I had already fitted my first spare tube to the front
    > when it went down at our Lunch stop, so as near
    home
    > I made it on a "Pump & Run" so two tubes to fix but I failed to find the cause of the rear tyre
    > problem. Anyway, made sure that ex-rear wheel tube did not go back there (it went onto the front
    > wheel). Next week, a rear flat on the road, again unable to find any cause so
    spare
    > went on. Next morning a rear flat again. Carefully noted relative position of tube & cover and of
    > the hole on the tube - NOTHING FOUND.
    Went
    > right round the tyre, turned it inside out to check for nasties, ran my fingers over every inch
    > and then went round outside of it removing every flint or nasty that I could find. Pumped up nice
    > & hard, did 40 miles three days ago, still hard. checked
    two
    > days ago, hard. Got my spare bike out for a shopping trip today & yes
    that
    > tyre is completely flat again This time I have a mark on the cover so I know where the valve was
    > which way round it is so cross fingers etc WILL
    > FIND IT?

    I had the same problem.Turned out to be a tiny sliver of glass that wasn't visible until I bent the
    rubber to reveal it buried there between the inside and outside of the tyre.

  3. Dave Le Good

    Dave Le Good Guest

    On Fri, 28 Mar 2003 15:15:15 -0000, "IanB" <[email protected]> wrote:

    This time I have a mark on the cover so I
    >know where the valve was which way round it is so cross fingers etc WILL I FIND IT?

    Check the rim / spokes for sharp bits.

    Dave

  4. My son got 6 punctures on his rear wheel.

    I'm very well used to this. Took tyre off each time, checked tube, tyre, tyre wire, rim tape, rim
    everything you could ever try. Bent tyre this way and that.

    I could find nothing, feel nothing. Total frustration.

    I eventually changed tyre and tube. He's had no puncture since and that's several months.

    Sometimes you just have to go for your gun.

  5. Ianb

    Ianb Guest

    > "IanB" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > > Two weeks ago I had a rear wheel puncture, I had already fitted my first spare tube to the front
    > > when it went down at our Lunch stop, so as near
    > home
    > > I made it on a "Pump & Run" so two tubes to fix but I failed to find
    the
    > > cause of the rear tyre problem. Anyway, made sure that ex-rear wheel
    tube
    > > did not go back there (it went onto the front wheel). Next week, a rear flat on the road, again
    > > unable to find any cause so
    > spare
    > > went on. Next morning a rear flat again. Carefully noted relative position of tube & cover and
    > > of the hole on the tube - NOTHING FOUND.
    > Went
    > > right round the tyre, turned it inside out to check for nasties, ran my fingers over every inch
    > > and then went round outside of it removing every flint or nasty that I could find. Pumped up
    > > nice & hard, did 40 miles three days ago, still hard. checked
    > two
    > > days ago, hard. Got my spare bike out for a shopping trip today & yes
    > that
    > > tyre is completely flat again This time I have a mark on the cover so
    > > know where the valve was which way round it is so cross fingers etc
    WILL
    > > FIND IT?
    >
    > I had the same problem.Turned out to be a tiny sliver of glass that
    wasn't
    > visible until I bent the rubber to reveal it buried there between the
    inside
    > and outside of the tyre.
    > --
    > Simon Mason Anlaby East Yorkshire. 53°44'N 0°26'W http://www.simonmason.karoo.net

    Trapped it (crossed fingers etc)! Marked tube and cover, traced hole, put mark inside tube opposite
    hole and re-positioned tube inside cover this time (instead of just laying it on the wheel). Found
    small flint (dirt says old flint) just protuding inside cover - looked and felt like biit of rough
    canvas. Outside the cover it was right on the edge of the moulding so not easily visible there.
    Anyway patch is on, tyre is on and wheel is in frame and pumped up. I wonder what excuses I can find
    to not go out on it tomorrow (garedn really does need some attention)

    Ian B