I'm running 135 miles through Death Valley for the Challenged Athletes' Foundation

baselbutt

Guest
Hey everyone,

I was the lucky recipient of one of the 90 slots given out for the
Badwater Ultramarathon this year on July 24th. The race runs 135 miles
from Death Valley to Mount Whitney Portal. It should be quite the
adventure!

Each year I use my most challenging event to raise money for the
Challenged Athletes' Foundation; a not-for-profit that provides funding
to assist physically challenged athletes' with adaptive sports
equipment and training. To date, I have raised over $350,000 for the
CAF.

With the event covering 135 miles (or 712,800 feet), over the course of
the event, I will take roughly 237,000 steps. To raise money this
year, I am asking folks to sponsor a single step for the princely sum
of $1.00. I figure if I can get 237,000 people to send me a dollar,
the CAF will be quite happy. If you would like to send more ($2.00,
$5.00) that's wonderful, but I'm only asking for $1.00.

Everyone who donates will get their name posted on my event website
(www.ponyexpressrun.com). If you can help out by donating a single
dollar (or change equivalent), please visit my website
(www.ponyexpressrun.com) and click on the "support a step" link. Or
go to eBay and type in "steps Badwater" and purchase them there. You
can either mail a buck to me or send it via paypal (details are on my
site).

Thanks everyone! I appreciate the support!
Bobby

Thanks for the post... when I race, I race well within my limits...
I'm not afraid to pull out if things don't go so hot..
Bobby

baselbutt wrote:

> Badwater Ultramarathon this year on July 24th. The race runs 135 miles
> from Death Valley to Mount Whitney Portal. It should be quite the
> adventure!

Even though I know that you are nothing but a spammer who will never
see this post, I just have to comment that you people are absolutely
nuts!!!

There is absolutely no correlation between athletics and health because
athletes often go to extremes. Marathon runners are nuts. Need I say
more?

I'm not a spammer, but rather a member of this group who is just trying
to get the word out about a great charity..

baselbutt wrote:

> I'm not a spammer, but rather a member of this group who is just trying
> to get the word out about a great charity..

Ha, ... Hah, Ha!

Yeah, ...right, sure! You are no spammer. You are just posting
off-topic to promote something not at all related to nutrition.

You have my condolences.

Well, if anyone has any nutritional advice for me during the event, I
would be more than open to hear your thoughts..

Thanks!

"baselbutt" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> Well, if anyone has any nutritional advice for me during the event, I
> would be more than open to hear your thoughts..
>
> Thanks!

There are a few serious ultra-M runners in rec.running, including
Death Valley experience.

Ask them. Don't ask here, or you will be told not to eat anything with
iron in it, avoid plutonium, and that low card is either good or bad,
depending on whether you have recovered from it or not.

My advice about sci.med.nutrition would be to ignore anyone who:

(a) Hasn't run at least 26 miles under hot conditions
(b) Hasn't run an Ultra of at least 50 miles, and
(c) Hasn't run a race with less than 3000 metres of climbing (sum of up metres, ignoring down metres).

That includes ignoring me, although from a quant nutrition viewpoint, in 135 miles you'll burn maybe 15000 kcal (depending on you
weight and how you cope with conditions). That will be maybe three or four times the amount of glycogen you can store. That's about
8 pounds of carbs, less maybe two (or so) of glycogen you can store in your liver.

Good luck. An economical running style would be a given...

N.

"baselbutt" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> Well, if anyone has any nutritional advice for me during the event, I
> would be more than open to hear your thoughts..
>
> Thanks!

There are a few serious ultra-M runners in rec.running, including
Death Valley experience.

Ask them. Don't ask here, or you will be told not to eat anything with
iron in it, avoid plutonium, and that low carb is either good or bad,
depending on whether you have recovered from it or not.

My advice about sci.med.nutrition would be to ignore anyone who:

(a) Hasn't run at least 26 miles under hot conditions
(b) Hasn't run an Ultra of at least 50 miles, and
(c) Hasn't run a race with less than 3000 metres of climbing (sum of up metres, ignoring down metres).

That includes ignoring me, although from a quant nutrition viewpoint, in 135 miles you'll burn maybe 15000 kcal (depending on you
weight and how you cope with conditions). That will be maybe three or four times the amount of glycogen you can store. That's about
8 pounds of carbs, less maybe two (or so) of glycogen you can store in your liver.

Good luck. An economical running style would be a given... ...and some water (with a bit of salt).

N.

Neryl Chyphes wrote:

> My advice about sci.med.nutrition would be to ignore anyone who:
>
> (a) Hasn't run at least 26 miles under hot conditions
> (b) Hasn't run an Ultra of at least 50 miles, and
> (c) Hasn't run a race with less than 3000 metres of climbing (sum of up metres, ignoring down metres).

You mean ignore anyone with a brain, don't you?

Marathon runners are basically nuts. They take a basic concept like
exercise and carry it to extremes. Apparently they achieve some kind
of a perverse high from torturing their bodies.

Why do only 4 miles a day when you can run 10? Why stop at 10, when
you can do 26? Yes, go for 50 for a even bigger rush. And, don't cut
yourself short by doing less than 135.

Ha, ... Hah, Ha

You guys are nuts. And, I do not mind saying so.

Look at yourself in the minor. You are skinny as a rail. Your immune
system is completely run down. You are a prime candidate for getting
seriously sick. But, do you care? Heck no! You are nuts!!!

Excessive running is definitely linked to muscle mass loss. And,
retards the body building efforts that a person might try to make.
And, don't forget about the permanent bone damage being done to your
leg joints; such as, your hip, knee, and ankles. Go ahead and destroy
your knees and see if I care. :)

Just thought that you might want to know.