I'm So Discouraged I Could Cry....

SierraSlim

Oct 4, 2010
[COLOR= #0000ff]Hey, y'all.[/COLOR]

[COLOR= #0000ff]I just returned from another bike ride on my new bike, and it was so discouraging. It had occurred to me that with the advent of cold weather, I haven't been wearing my only padded bike pants, which are capris, and that maybe that was adding to the saddle soreness I've been having. So I put on some tights and wore the capris to see if it would help that issue. These capris are slightly looser than the jeans I usually wear when biking, and don't have a belt. Well, when I straddled the bike and tried to mount on the pedal, the tip of the saddle snagged the back of my capris, pulling them halfway down my backside, and of course knocking me over. I'm sure it was a comical sight for any neighbors peeking out the window. /img/vbsmilies/smilies/redface.gif[/COLOR] Once I finally got mounted, the chamois did help some with the saddle, but it still has to be tilted forward too far, so we will be saddle shopping. [COLOR= #0000ff] [/COLOR] [COLOR= #0000ff]I think this sort of proves what I've been trying to explain to Long-Suffering Hubby, which is that my torso seems to be too 'deep', front to back, for the area between the seat and the bars. He keeps saying I just need more practice with mounting, but I keep practicing, and the same thing happens: the seat always catches my backside as I try to mount, and it knocks me off balance. If I stand further forward to mount in an effort to avoid that, I'm almost against the bars, and it is very awkward to raise my foot to the pedal, which is now nearly behind me. I feel like such an idiot, like the only adult on earth who can't figure out how to get on her bike. It makes me not want to ride, because I know eventually I will have to stop and get back on the bike in front of other people, and it's humiliating to stumble and stagger and not be able to get on. [/COLOR] [COLOR= #0000ff] [/COLOR] [COLOR= #0000ff]I have contacted the owner of the shop where we bought the bike, who was so helpful at the time, and he wants me to bring it back in to try to help. I assume getting the right saddle will happen eventually, and raising the bars with a stem or different bars should be a fairly easy fix for my wrist pain. But I CANNOT figure out how to get on this bike, and at this point it has me in tears. [/COLOR] [COLOR= #0000ff] [/COLOR] [COLOR= #0000ff]I was enjoying biking on my cruiser so very much, I looked forward to it every day. Now I dread it, and I really hate losing that joy. [/COLOR] [COLOR= #0000ff] [/COLOR] [COLOR= #0000ff]I will let you know what the bike shop says.[/COLOR] [COLOR= #0000ff] [/COLOR] [COLOR= #0000ff]Sorry, y'all. I just had to vent. [/COLOR] [COLOR= #0000ff] [/COLOR] [COLOR= #0000ff]Sierra[/COLOR]

Well I certainly hope that you still have your Cruiser to ride. Nothing wrong with using an old friend to help lift your spirits.

I suggest that when you get to the bike shop you sort out all your issues. They should be able to properly adjust your reach and sell you a saddle that will make your bottom a little more comfy.

Loose fitting garments are really not good cycling clothes. Pant legs can get caught in the chain and your saddle can hook onto pants like you are finding out.

Originally Posted by SierraSlim .
[COLOR= rgb(0, 0, 255)] But I CANNOT figure out how to get on this bike, and at this point it has me in tears. [/COLOR]...
Well loose clothes certainly don't help, but you should be able to get on and off your cruiser bike without that much trauma. Are you standing up on a pedal that's rotated forward so that you both are a bit forward of the saddle and you get a little momentum to give you time to move smoothly up and onto the saddle without having to rush? IOW, like the method shown in this video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i5SjHvHDuxg&feature=related

If that's what you're trying to do and it still isn't working then I'd guess your local shop is your best bet to get someone to see what's going wrong.

Good luck,
-Dave

Quote: Originally Posted by davereo .

Well I certainly hope that you still have your Cruiser to ride. Nothing wrong with using an old friend to help lift your spirits.

I suggest that when you get to the bike shop you sort out all your issues. They should be able to properly adjust your reach and sell you a saddle that will make your bottom a little more comfy.

Loose fitting garments are really not good cycling clothes. Pant legs can get caught in the chain and your saddle can hook onto pants like you are finding out.

[COLOR= #0000ff]I think a ride on old Freedom may be just the ticket, Dave; I had actually told Hubby I should probably do that, to remember how much fun cycling actually can be, and I hope to do just that tomorrow.[/COLOR]

[COLOR= #0000ff]I actually get that I shouldn't wear loose-fitting garments on bikes -- especially now, lol. I just hadn't realized how much more weight I had lost since I bought the capris this summer, and they were baggier than I thought. That, at least, will make me feel good, as soon as I can quit reliving the feeling of the pants going down as I started. Soooooooo glad I don't live on too busy a street!![/COLOR]

[COLOR= #0000ff]Thanks for the encouragement. There's nothing like a new friend to lift your spirits, either![/COLOR]

Originally Posted by daveryanwyoming .

Quote: Originally Posted by SierraSlim .
[COLOR= rgb(0,0,255)] But I CANNOT figure out how to get on this bike, and at this point it has me in tears. [/COLOR]...
Well loose clothes certainly don't help, but you should be able to get on and off your cruiser bike without that much trauma. Are you standing up on a pedal that's rotated forward so that you both are a bit forward of the saddle and you get a little momentum to give you time to move smoothly up and onto the saddle without having to rush? IOW, like the method shown in this video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i5SjHvHDuxg&feature=related

If that's what you're trying to do and it still isn't working then I'd guess your local shop is your best bet to get someone to see what's going wrong.

Good luck,
-Dave

Hi Dave!

I had actually looked at that video a hundred times or so while I was waiting for my bike to be shipped here, but I appreciate the suggestion, and I did go and watch it a few more times tonight. The only thing I can see that she's doing differently -- other than not falling on her almost-depantsed backside -- is that she isn't putting the pedal she stands up on as high up as I had; Hubby had suggested putting it at about 10 or 11 o'clock, and hers is more like 9, I think. I don't know if that will make any difference, but it's worth a try. Also, as I look at it again, maybe I'm rushing it a little because my balance is iffy; she sort of takes her time getting into the seat. It looks so easy, as I watch her, and I'm sure it actually is. That's why I'm so frustrated, because I KNOW it should not be this hard!! At this point I'm ready to have Hubby film me trying to get on, and send it to people here for suggestions. (N-o-t.)

We will head back to the bike shop at some point this week. I'm looking forward to seeing what they suggest for saddles and bars... but I'm NOT looking forward to having them watch me stumble around trying to get on the bike so they can offer suggestions for that too. It's so embarrassing!

Thanks for the input!

262488784v3_480x480_Front_Color-LightPink.jpg

He he. OK, buck up young lady and shake this off! You haven't got time for self-doubt and second guessing ... you have riding to do.

Don't feel like the Lone Ranger when it comes to snagging your drawers ... I've done it a few times. I have a pair of cycling shorts with extra grippy leg openings and if I don't take extra effort to snug the crotch up and raise the grippers just that last bit, then there's a little more fabric "down there" than I'm accustomed to and I've snagged it on the nose of my seat when not paying attention. You get used to moving in a certain way and a few millimeters can throw things off.

If you have your seat height maxed out for for performance - then you don't have room for loose fitting crotch material. Add unfamiliarity with the bike and that's a recipe for a problem. You already acknowledged that the choice of pant can have an impact on your comfort, so you may need some more experimentation with that. OR, maybe back off the seat height just a bit until you become more comfortable with mounting the new ride. Then, work your way back up.

eBay and Craigslist are littered with "just a few ride" saddles. The quest for the right saddle is a common one.

You have more fitness to gain, more fun to seek and a tour planned (I think), so regain your composure and think positive. You can - and will - work through these fitting issues. In the mean time, take your old friend on a new ride. And relax ... all good things take time. /img/vbsmilies/smilies/cool.gif

Reactions: SierraSlim
[COLOR= #0000ff]Thanks, buddy.[/COLOR]

[COLOR= #0000ff]I haven't been this frustrated with something in a long time, and it's definitely taking a toll. Usually, when I set my mind to do something, I get it done within a day or two, and that's that. So entering the third week of struggling with this is driving me NUTZ. (Patient Hubby would say, "That's a short trip.") [/COLOR]

[COLOR= #0000ff]I had not thought about lowering the seat, because when I do my knees hurt, but I could do that for a bit while I get used to her. And I will buy some better-fitting padded pants t-o-d-a-y, because I'm not interested in showing the neighborhood my pathetically pale porcelain posterior again! [/COLOR]

[COLOR= #0000ff]And the other things should be an easier fix, so Sierra Will Buck Up. I will. I WILL!![/COLOR]

[COLOR= #0000ff]I do have that fantastic tour planned. (If I hadn't, I would still be riding my cruiser every day and wouldn't know what a klutz I am!) And I'm not giving up on that, so it's buckle-down, grit-my-teeth, settle-in-for-the-long-haul time. I Will Find A Way. [/COLOR]

[COLOR= #0000ff]Thanks, sitzmark. I'll think of you the first time I realize getting on her was easy. [/COLOR]

Yep, I snag my britches on the point of the saddle several times every year. It seems to happen more often when I'm wearing tights over my shorts in cool weather. I'm guessing the tights have some extra material in the crotch that gathers in a way that makes it easier to snag on the saddle. But, every once in awhile it happens when I'm just wearing shorts.

It can startle me, because I'm not expecting it, but so far it hasn't actually hurt anything. Just makes me feel goofy... /img/vbsmilies/smilies/redface.gif

Hi again, Sierra. I'm sorry to hear that you are so discouraged. I agree with the other posters that extra fabric is a problem, I've snagged the seat many times myself. With the changes that I've made to my bike to make it less "formal", I thought maybe I could ride in jeans or regular shorts once in a while if I didn't want to put on my cycling shorts. Well I can, but I have to be extra careful not to snag, so it's really just as easy to wear the cycling shorts. I haven't watched the video that you're referring to. However, have you tried the tilt method of mounting? It helps me. With both feet on the ground, stand next to the bike; tilt it toward you (probably less than 45 degrees). Swing your leg over the back of the seat and engage the pedal (which has been positioned where you want it) and get yourself on the saddle; tilt the bike back upright while transferring your weight to the saddle, keeping your other foot on the ground. As long as your saddle height will allow you have at least your tip-tow on the ground, this should work. As you transfer your weight to the saddle, push on pedal to get rolling. I hope this helps. Steve

Hey, you two.

It's good to know that I'm not the only one who has snagged her britches. I'm really beginning to understand why people wear the spandex that looks so awful, lol. I'll settle for just snugger pants, thank you.

Steve, I will try your tilt method, though I think the seat is too high for me to even tip-toe the ground. I just need it to stop raining so I can take her somewhere private and practice until I stop falling off. I'll get there, I just need to shake this off and smack myself upside the head and get out of the doldrums. The problem is, riding my bike is usually what I do to make that happen, lol. I just have to get past this hurdle -- and stop worrying that it's such a ridiculous hurdle to have -- and get back out there and enjoy it again. I will. I will.

Thanks for the encouragement, y'all.

Sierra

Enough of the "WAAAA WAAAA" get off your butt and go riding! And when you get back I want to see some
plowing, planting, chopping and stacking.
Them 'taters ain't gon'a dig them selfs.. And I noticed some weeds in the corn patch, What you been doing
lately? Watching that blame tellyvison again.

Some of my buddys are coming for supper, you don't need to fix nothing special, fried chicken, mashed taters,
green beans and some fresh rolls, you can fix some wings for when we is watching the foot ball game, not sure
is they like pie or cake so you best fix both. Don't think there will be more than eight or ten of them some you
don't need to go over board with the vittles.

If would be nice if you could stay in the kitchen till after the game as the squeak in your rocking chair distracts
us from the game.

BTW, the roof on the barn is leaking, I asked Mr Jones if you could use his ladder and he said you could get it
after lunch today as it may rain tonight.

PS: the boys are coming over tomorrow for a poker game.

[SIZE= 8px]That's what women need today, a man to tell them what to do![/SIZE]

[COLOR= #0000ff]Hi, Brad.[/COLOR]

[COLOR= #0000ff]Exactly how hard would you like smacked today, lol? [/COLOR]

Originally Posted by SierraSlim .

[COLOR= rgb(0, 0, 255)]Hi, Brad.[/COLOR]

[COLOR= rgb(0, 0, 255)]Exactly how hard would you like smacked today, lol? [/COLOR]
Do you think you will have time??

If you don't straighten up you ain't gon'a get that new ironing board for Christmas!

[COLOR= #0000ff]I'm laughing so hard I can't hit you![/COLOR]

[COLOR= #0000ff]It reminds me of Hick Hubby's favorite country song, Put Another Log On the Fire (and come and tell me why you're leavin' me). [/COLOR]

[COLOR= #0000ff]Thanks.[/COLOR]

[COLOR= #0000ff]/img/vbsmilies/smilies/biggrin.gif[/COLOR]

This may or may not play on your computer??

http://www.otr.net/r/lmab/224.ram

[COLOR= #0000ff]Sorry, Brad, couldn't get it to play.[/COLOR]

[COLOR= #0000ff]I'm gonna be off for a while now... I'm going to go practice getting on my bike, and I'm not coming back until I can do it -- so I may not talk to you until Spring, lol. /img/vbsmilies/smilies/redface.gif[/COLOR]