I'm starting to think Lance did not dope

jsull14

Nov 26, 2005
Seeing some of Lance's performances over the years (where he mashes out of the saddle on a steep hill for 3 minutes before sitting down) leads me to believe he was on something. But his complete distain for the French, as he showed again this weekend, his vehement denial of doping plus all the negative tests lead me to think that he rode clean.

Lance is kind of a **** but how could he have not been busted at least once. Doc Ferrari apparantly wasn't giving good advice on how to dope considering what Vino did.

http://www.velonews.com/news/fea/8795.0.html

Researcher: Sophisticated know how to beat EPO test
By Rupert Guinness
The Daily Telegraph,

This report filed September 1, 2005

[size=-1]Cyclists can still race the Tour de France on the illegal drug EPO without testing positive, a top Australian doping scientist has revealed. [/size]

[size=-1]Dr. Mike Ashenden, project manager of the international consortium Science and Industry Against Blood Doping, told The Saturday Daily Telegraph that an unreleased study shows how riders can still get away with EPO use four years after testing was introduced for the endurance-boosting protein hormone. [/size]

[size=-1]"There have been persistent rumours over the past years that athletes have learned to manipulate their EPO injections to escape the urine test," Ashenden said. [/size]

[size=-1]"We (SIAB) have now replicated this in our own research and we know how it can be done. Our research shows that if an athlete had an expert doctor helping them, it would be possible to use EPO throughout the Tour de France without being found positive. [/size]

[size=-1]"If the athlete followed the program given by their doctor, the urine samples would be declared negative according to strict criteria used by anti-doping authorities." [/size]

[size=-1]Ashenden is known for the development of the homologous blood-doping test, first applied at the 2004 Athens Olympic Games. [/size]

[size=-1]The EPO research was conducted at the University of Montepellier in southern France and then analyzed at the Laboratoire National de Despistage du Dopage at Chatenay-Le Malabry near Paris. [/size]

[size=-1]It is at the LNDD where the six positive EPO tests of seven-time Tour champion Lance Armstrong from frozen B-samples from the 1999 race were made retrospectively - much to the protest of the Texan who has consistently denied his guilt, most recently on CNN's Larry King Live. [/size]

[size=-1]The SIAB research into how EPO use can be manipulated without levels exceeding a legal threshold lasted "three to four weeks." [/size]

[size=-1]It involved monitoring of a carefully timed and administered program of EPO use on two human guinea pigs or "well trained endurance subjects" who had blood and urine samples taken from them throughout the study. The doses given were similar to what a rider would use in a major event like the Tour. [/size]

[size=-1]They were based on regular low doses that ensured EPO readings fell under the threshold within 12 hours but held the maximum allowed level of hematocrit (the blood's percentage of oxygen carrying red blood cells) - rather than high doses that can surpass the allowed level and then lead to a positive test. [/size]

[size=-1]But it did not include the added administering of undetectable drugs like human growth hormone or insulin growth factor which is a widely suspected process that can also heighten the impact of a low dose of EPO. [/size]

[size=-1]"We boosted their hematocrit, but kept it below the allowed 50 percent," said Ashenden. "Then we reduced the dosage of EPO slowly over a matter of weeks, giving them two or three injections a week. [/size]

[size=-1]"We monitored their blood to make sure their hematocrit was high. By the end of three or four weeks, the dosage was low but the hematocrit stayed high," he said, adding that none of the riders' urine tests met the standard for a positive result. [/size]

It was 40 years ago that Tom Simpson's pulse rate went to zero.

And in this, Discovery (NOT) based doping TDF--not 20 seconds was dedicated to the memory of this doping casualty.

Next year we can ignore the ten year anniversay of Marco Pantani death---the last man to win a TDF NOT named Lance.

Alberto will be doping DQed like Roid Landis/

Lance has not 'vehemently' denied doping as one would who had NEVER doped and never would

and didn't he have a non-neg A sample in 99?

plus the Andreu's can tell a different story....in spite of Frankie's obvious forced silence as a VS commentator this year.

talk about avoiding any mention of his and his wifey's previous testimony re. Lance's admissions in the hospital in 96 at all costs!

and why have any relations with that cagey doctor?

Eilert Pilarm said:
Lance has not 'vehemently' denied doping as one would who had NEVER doped and never would

and didn't he have a non-neg A sample in 99?

plus the Andreu's can tell a different story....in spite of Frankie's obvious forced silence as a VS commentator this year.

talk about avoiding any mention of his and his wifey's previous testimony re. Lance's admissions in the hospital in 96 at all costs!

and why have any relations with that cagey doctor?
Couple things: I heard the Andreu admission may have been related to his cancer. EPO, by the way, is made by Amgen I believe and has real medical benefits. Plus, I don't give a rat's ass if Lance doped in the mid 90's. Did he dope during his 7 tours is the question?? Just like I don't care if a president smoked a little weed in college. As long as he's not doing it in the White House.

He Was On Something!! Its Called Chemo!! Get Over It!!! Most Tested Athlete In The World+no Positive Test=clean 7 Time Tdf Champ!! Shut Up!!

as I've said previously....if he ever DID dope, he will take that to his grave to protect his cancer foundation

and i am not blaming him for that...

most of us would do the same thing

99 was his first tour win wasnt it? and wasnt there a botched B-sample of his in that tour after a non-neg A sample?

if he DID win all those tours clean, beating known dopers (whom we now know), then he'd be on par with Eddie in the 'greatest cyclists of all time' honours

I only agree with one of those statements. But at least it's a valid viewpoint, unlike most of the deluded revisionists above.

Trajectum said:
Lance is a hero. And Lance doped. The one does not exclude the other

jsull14 said:
Seeing some of Lance's performances over the years (where he mashes out of the saddle on a steep hill for 3 minutes before sitting down) leads me to believe he was on something. But his complete distain for the French, as he showed again this weekend, his vehement denial of doping plus all the negative tests lead me to think that he rode clean.

Lance is kind of a **** but how could he have not been busted at least once. Doc Ferrari apparantly wasn't giving good advice on how to dope considering what Vino did.
If denial and negative tests are all you need to believe someone, then neihter Ullrich, Basso, Rasmussen or even Rumsas ever doped.

I think had his reign in a very lucky time for him. During that time there weren't any major tour related busts, except maybe for Rumsas. It wasn't untill the year after he retired that the big boys started getting busted.