I'm still hungry!

Discussion in 'Food and nutrition' started by Wayne Boatwright, Jan 1, 2006.

  1. We had a very substantial, but early, dinner tonight. Hours have passed, I'm
    seriously hungry, and I don't want leftovers from dinner.

    I've just pulled some frozen, cooked shrimp and crabmeat out of the freezer
    and will jump on it to eat with cocktail sauce as soon as it's thawed.

    There's some dessert around, too. Well, maybe a bit of that later. <g>

    --
    Wayne Boatwright *¿*

  2. Wayne Boatwright wrote:

    > We had a very substantial, but early, dinner tonight. Hours have
    > passed, I'm
    > seriously hungry, and I don't want leftovers from dinner.
    >
    > I've just pulled some frozen, cooked shrimp and crabmeat out of the
    > freezer
    > and will jump on it to eat with cocktail sauce as soon as it's thawed.
    >
    > There's some dessert around, too. Well, maybe a bit of that later.
    > <g>

    The raspberry beer went quickly but i have left over champagne, just
    popped open a bottle to have with the left over pate & bacon wrapped
    prawns, cheeses, and breads. People were very subdued last night,
    *sigh* we are all getting older, there was a time that crowd would have
    left nothing 'over' but especially not wine & talked about everything
    and nothing, now a days we cant talk about anything other than whether
    to sell out now or hang on for a higher price some time in the future,
    both literally and metaphorically. Oh well...my spring party to
    celebrate the solar new year is only 3 months away.
    ---
    JL

  3. On Sun 01 Jan 2006 09:44:53p, Thus Spake Zarathustra, or was it Joseph
    Littleshoes?

    > Wayne Boatwright wrote:
    >
    >> We had a very substantial, but early, dinner tonight. Hours have
    >> passed, I'm
    >> seriously hungry, and I don't want leftovers from dinner.
    >>
    >> I've just pulled some frozen, cooked shrimp and crabmeat out of the
    >> freezer and will jump on it to eat with cocktail sauce as soon as it's
    >> thawed.
    >>
    >> There's some dessert around, too. Well, maybe a bit of that later.
    >> <g>

    > The raspberry beer went quickly but i have left over champagne, just
    > popped open a bottle to have with the left over pate & bacon wrapped
    > prawns, cheeses, and breads.

    Sounds really good!

    > People were very subdued last night,
    > *sigh* we are all getting older, there was a time that crowd would have
    > left nothing 'over' but especially not wine & talked about everything
    > and nothing, now a days we cant talk about anything other than whether
    > to sell out now or hang on for a higher price some time in the future,
    > both literally and metaphorically. Oh well...my spring party to
    > celebrate the solar new year is only 3 months away.

    That type of scenario is one reason why the two of us just stayed home
    alone. One couple, that are out best friends, also do the same. Otherwise,
    the four of us could have had a great evening together. Another reason we
    don't get together with them on holidays is that we live 80 miles apart and
    don't anticipate either the drive before or after.

    --
    Wayne Boatwright *¿*

  4. sf

    sf Guest

    On Mon, 02 Jan 2006 04:44:53 GMT, Joseph Littleshoes wrote:

    > People were very subdued last night,
    > *sigh* we are all getting older, there was a time that crowd would have
    > left nothing 'over'

    I KNOW! I bought some killer wines and we barely made a dent in them.
    No hangover this morning either. A little bad, a little good. LOL

  5. Nancy Young

    Nancy Young Guest

    "Wayne Boatwright" <[email protected]> wrote

    > I've just pulled some frozen, cooked shrimp and crabmeat out of the
    > freezer
    > and will jump on it to eat with cocktail sauce as soon as it's thawed.

    That's what I had for dinner, boiled shrimp with cocktail sauce.
    Off the shelf cocktail sauce, the usual brand ... Kerchnerr's, something
    like that. I've had the stuff a gazzillion times, never did make my own.

    *Holy Inferno* Batman! This stuff was so hot, it was like burning
    pins on the inside of my nose. Not hot in the mouth. I never had
    horseradish that fresh ... or whatever it was. Ouch.

    Didn't stop me from polishing off my dinner.

    nancy

  6. Wayne Boatwright wrote:

    > On Sun 01 Jan 2006 09:44:53p, Thus Spake Zarathustra, or was it Joseph
    >
    > Littleshoes?
    >
    > > Wayne Boatwright wrote:
    > >
    > >> We had a very substantial, but early, dinner tonight. Hours have
    > >> passed, I'm
    > >> seriously hungry, and I don't want leftovers from dinner.
    > >>
    > >> I've just pulled some frozen, cooked shrimp and crabmeat out of the

    > >> freezer and will jump on it to eat with cocktail sauce as soon as

    > it's
    > >> thawed.
    > >>
    > >> There's some dessert around, too. Well, maybe a bit of that later.

    > >> <g>

    > > The raspberry beer went quickly but i have left over champagne, just

    > > popped open a bottle to have with the left over pate & bacon wrapped

    > > prawns, cheeses, and breads.

    > Sounds really good!
    >
    > > People were very subdued last night,
    > > *sigh* we are all getting older, there was a time that crowd would

    > have
    > > left nothing 'over' but especially not wine & talked about

    > everything
    > > and nothing, now a days we cant talk about anything other than

    > whether
    > > to sell out now or hang on for a higher price some time in the

    > future,
    > > both literally and metaphorically. Oh well...my spring party to
    > > celebrate the solar new year is only 3 months away.

    > That type of scenario is one reason why the two of us just stayed home
    >
    > alone. One couple, that are out best friends, also do the same.
    > Otherwise,
    > the four of us could have had a great evening together. Another
    > reason we
    > don't get together with them on holidays is that we live 80 miles
    > apart and
    > don't anticipate either the drive before or after.

    It was a dark and stormy night, here, which i think contributed to a
    rather subdued gathering.

    People were overly solicitous of me and my back problem that has kept me
    from going to parties or hosting them recently. I don't consider dinner
    for 4 a 'party' so i had an 'open house' last night and people came and
    went all evening. Nobody even objected to my choice of music, i dragged
    out an old vynal L.P. and set up the old record player and debuted
    "Captain Lockheed and the Star Fighters" to a stunned assembly (perhaps
    they were just being polite) after which nobody objected to my rather
    eclectic mix of old and modern music.
    ---
    JL

  7. On Sun 01 Jan 2006 10:15:41p, Thus Spake Zarathustra, or was it Nancy
    Young?

    > "Wayne Boatwright" <[email protected]> wrote
    >
    >> I've just pulled some frozen, cooked shrimp and crabmeat out of the
    >> freezer and will jump on it to eat with cocktail sauce as soon as it's
    >> thawed.

    > That's what I had for dinner, boiled shrimp with cocktail sauce.
    > Off the shelf cocktail sauce, the usual brand ... Kerchnerr's, something
    > like that. I've had the stuff a gazzillion times, never did make my own.
    >
    > *Holy Inferno* Batman! This stuff was so hot, it was like burning
    > pins on the inside of my nose. Not hot in the mouth. I never had
    > horseradish that fresh ... or whatever it was. Ouch.
    >
    > Didn't stop me from polishing off my dinner.

    Yes, really fresh horseradish can do quite a number on you. Good stuff,
    though. I make my own sauce and the recipe I put together years ago does
    contain a measurement for the horseradish. However, when I make the sauce
    I start out with half that amount and adjust as I taste.

    --
    Wayne Boatwright *¿*

  8. On Sun 01 Jan 2006 10:20:37p, Thus Spake Zarathustra, or was it Joseph
    Littleshoes?

    > Wayne Boatwright wrote:
    >
    >> On Sun 01 Jan 2006 09:44:53p, Thus Spake Zarathustra, or was it Joseph
    >>
    >> Littleshoes?

    >> > The raspberry beer went quickly but i have left over champagne, just

    >> > popped open a bottle to have with the left over pate & bacon wrapped

    >> > prawns, cheeses, and breads.

    >> Sounds really good!
    >>
    >> > People were very subdued last night, *sigh* we are all getting
    >> > older, there was a time that crowd would have left nothing 'over'
    >> > but especially not wine & talked about everything and nothing, now
    >> > a days we cant talk about anything other than whether to sell out
    >> > now or hang on for a higher price some time in the future, both
    >> > literally and metaphorically. Oh well...my spring party to
    >> > celebrate the solar new year is only 3 months away.

    >> That type of scenario is one reason why the two of us just stayed home
    >>
    >> alone. One couple, that are out best friends, also do the same.
    >> Otherwise,
    >> the four of us could have had a great evening together. Another
    >> reason we
    >> don't get together with them on holidays is that we live 80 miles
    >> apart and
    >> don't anticipate either the drive before or after.

    > It was a dark and stormy night, here, which i think contributed to a
    > rather subdued gathering.
    >
    > People were overly solicitous of me and my back problem that has kept me
    > from going to parties or hosting them recently. I don't consider dinner
    > for 4 a 'party' so i had an 'open house' last night and people came and
    > went all evening. Nobody even objected to my choice of music, i dragged
    > out an old vynal L.P. and set up the old record player and debuted
    > "Captain Lockheed and the Star Fighters" to a stunned assembly (perhaps
    > they were just being polite) after which nobody objected to my rather
    > eclectic mix of old and modern music.

    I hope the evening wasn't a real disappointment for you.

    --
    Wayne Boatwright *¿*

  9. Wayne Boatwright wrote:

    > On Sun 01 Jan 2006 10:20:37p, Thus Spake Zarathustra, or was it Joseph
    >
    > Littleshoes?
    >
    > > Wayne Boatwright wrote:
    > >
    > >> On Sun 01 Jan 2006 09:44:53p, Thus Spake Zarathustra, or was it

    > Joseph
    > >>
    > >> Littleshoes?

    > have

    > the

    > as

    > later.

    > just

    > wrapped

    > >> Sounds really good!

    > now

    > >> That type of scenario is one reason why the two of us just stayed

    > home
    > >>
    > >> alone. One couple, that are out best friends, also do the same.
    > >> Otherwise,
    > >> the four of us could have had a great evening together. Another
    > >> reason we
    > >> don't get together with them on holidays is that we live 80 miles
    > >> apart and
    > >> don't anticipate either the drive before or after.

    > > It was a dark and stormy night, here, which i think contributed to a

    > > rather subdued gathering.
    > >
    > > People were overly solicitous of me and my back problem that has

    > kept me
    > > from going to parties or hosting them recently. I don't consider

    > dinner
    > > for 4 a 'party' so i had an 'open house' last night and people came

    > and
    > > went all evening. Nobody even objected to my choice of music, i

    > dragged
    > > out an old vynal L.P. and set up the old record player and debuted
    > > "Captain Lockheed and the Star Fighters" to a stunned assembly

    > (perhaps
    > > they were just being polite) after which nobody objected to my

    > rather
    > > eclectic mix of old and modern music.

    > I hope the evening wasn't a real disappointment for you.

    It was not a rock and roll evening, more a Boccherini minuette. Not
    what i had been expecting but nice never the less.
    ---
    JL

    > --
    > Wayne Boatwright *¿*
    > And if we enter a room full of manure, may we believe in the pony.

  10. On Sun 01 Jan 2006 10:46:25p, Thus Spake Zarathustra, or was it Joseph
    Littleshoes?

    Nothing wrong with Boccherini!

    Happy New Year!

    --
    Wayne Boatwright *¿*

  11. Wayne Boatwright wrote:

    > On Sun 01 Jan 2006 10:46:25p, Thus Spake Zarathustra, or was it Joseph
    >
    > Littleshoes?
    >
    > > Wayne Boatwright wrote:
    > >
    > >> On Sun 01 Jan 2006 10:20:37p, Thus Spake Zarathustra, or was it

    > Joseph
    > >>
    > >> Littleshoes?

    > of

    > soon

    > champagne,

    > 'over'

    > sell

    > both

    > stayed

    > miles

    > to a

    > night

    > old

    > Fighters"

    > >> I hope the evening wasn't a real disappointment for you.

    > > It was not a rock and roll evening, more a Boccherini minuette. Not

    > > what i had been expecting but nice never the less.
    > > ---
    > > JL

    > Nothing wrong with Boccherini!
    >
    > Happy New Year!

    I specified white tie and tiaras, some few of my friends don't like
    when i do this and either make an acceptable attempt to meet me half way
    or do not attend my more formal soirees. I thought my Tiara went
    particularly well upside down over a white turban, looked sort of like a
    jewelled bill cap, i actually considered turning the Tiara backwards so
    it would be like a bill cap worn with the bill in back. I am just too
    old to get into my Halston ball gown, but my Tiara goes well with white
    tie & tails. How often does one get a chance to wear opera pumps.

    Last nights fire works display over the bay was very good. And i have
    got all these leftovers. I actually think i was given more booze than
    people drank.

    If i can go all metaphysical and esoteric on you for a moment, i think
    the idea of the winter solstice, where the sun reaches and turns around
    from its most northerly declination is a time of low energy and the
    beginning of new, thus the frenzy of enthusiasm to mark it, 'sympathetic
    magic" at its clearest displayed by the majority of peoples at one time
    of the Year or another. An instinctual need, In the northern
    hemisphere, to mark the birth and/or return of the sun or son. But its
    actually visible epiphany is not celebrated till spring, and the summer
    equinox is special full blown kiss of fire. The glory of existence in
    full bloom, at the peak of its yearly cycle. To be celebrated as such.

    C://Metpahysical esotericism off/.htm

    Im exhausted and 'full' couldn't eat another bite, well maybe just one
    more bite of the chocolate torte, but really, i don't even think i will
    stay up for the star trek enterprise re run.

    To quote Pepys, just because i don't think i ever have and it seems
    appropriate,

    "And so to bed."
    ---
    JL

  12. On Sun 01 Jan 2006 11:25:56p, Thus Spake Zarathustra, or was it Joseph
    Littleshoes?

    > Wayne Boatwright wrote:
    >
    >> On Sun 01 Jan 2006 10:46:25p, Thus Spake Zarathustra, or was it Joseph
    >>
    >> Littleshoes?

    >> > It was not a rock and roll evening, more a Boccherini minuette. Not

    >> > what i had been expecting but nice never the less.
    >> > ---
    >> > JL

    >> Nothing wrong with Boccherini!
    >>
    >> Happy New Year!

    > I specified white tie and tiaras, some few of my friends don't like
    > when i do this and either make an acceptable attempt to meet me half way
    > or do not attend my more formal soirees. I thought my Tiara went
    > particularly well upside down over a white turban, looked sort of like a
    > jewelled bill cap, i actually considered turning the Tiara backwards so
    > it would be like a bill cap worn with the bill in back. I am just too
    > old to get into my Halston ball gown, but my Tiara goes well with white
    > tie & tails. How often does one get a chance to wear opera pumps.

    I would not care to be so gussied up. <g>

    > Last nights fire works display over the bay was very good. And i have
    > got all these leftovers. I actually think i was given more booze than
    > people drank.
    >
    > If i can go all metaphysical and esoteric on you for a moment, i think
    > the idea of the winter solstice, where the sun reaches and turns around
    > from its most northerly declination is a time of low energy and the
    > beginning of new, thus the frenzy of enthusiasm to mark it, 'sympathetic
    > magic" at its clearest displayed by the majority of peoples at one time
    > of the Year or another. An instinctual need, In the northern
    > hemisphere, to mark the birth and/or return of the sun or son. But its
    > actually visible epiphany is not celebrated till spring, and the summer
    > equinox is special full blown kiss of fire. The glory of existence in
    > full bloom, at the peak of its yearly cycle. To be celebrated as such.

    I will have to think about that tomorrow, as my mind is far too tired
    tonight.

    > C://Metpahysical esotericism off/.htm
    >
    > Im exhausted and 'full' couldn't eat another bite, well maybe just one
    > more bite of the chocolate torte, but really, i don't even think i will
    > stay up for the star trek enterprise re run.

    Now that I've eaten the shrimp and crab, as well as another goodly portion
    of cheeseball, I am more than full enough. Well, perhaps a couple of bites
    of bittersweet chocolate.

    > To quote Pepys, just because i don't think i ever have and it seems
    > appropriate,
    >
    > "And so to bed."

    The bed is looking very good right now!

    --
    Wayne Boatwright *¿*

  13. JL wrote:

    > If i can go all metaphysical and esoteric on you for a moment, i think
    > the idea of the winter solstice, where the sun reaches and turns around
    > from its most northerly declination is a time of low energy and the
    > beginning of new, thus the frenzy of enthusiasm to mark it, 'sympathetic
    > magic" at its clearest displayed by the majority of peoples at one time
    > of the Year or another. An instinctual need, In the northern
    > hemisphere, to mark the birth and/or return of the sun or son. But its
    > actually visible epiphany is not celebrated till spring, and the summer
    > equinox is special full blown kiss of fire. The glory of existence in
    > full bloom, at the peak of its yearly cycle. To be celebrated as such.

    Temperamental difference: I am very strongly energized by the cold and dark.
    If you have any familiarity with the Carnot cycle, you're aware that the
    greatest heat difference results in the greatest efficiency and best output.

    Besides, I agree with this assessment:

    APRIL is the cruellest month, breeding
    Lilacs out of the dead land, mixing
    Memory and desire, stirring
    Dull roots with spring rain.
    Winter kept us warm, covering
    Earth in forgetful snow, feeding
    A little life with dried tubers.

    --from "The Waste Land" by T. S. Eliot

    Bob

  14. serene

    serene Guest

    On 2 Jan 2006 01:24:01 -0600, "Bob Terwilliger"
    <[email protected]_spammer.biz> wrote:

    >Temperamental difference: I am very strongly energized by the cold and dark.

    Me, too. A gray day makes me happy, and a rainy, gray day makes me
    genuinely bouncy-happy. It can be annoying for those who think those
    days are "gloomy" (or who have seasonal depression), but there it is.
    I love the cold and the rain and the gloom, so my move from San Diego
    to Oakland was a really good idea.

    serene

  15. Bob Terwilliger wrote:

    > JL wrote:
    >
    > > If i can go all metaphysical and esoteric on you for a moment, i

    > think
    > > the idea of the winter solstice, where the sun reaches and turns

    > around
    > > from its most northerly declination is a time of low energy and the
    > > beginning of new, thus the frenzy of enthusiasm to mark it,

    > 'sympathetic
    > > magic" at its clearest displayed by the majority of peoples at one

    > time
    > > of the Year or another. An instinctual need, In the northern
    > > hemisphere, to mark the birth and/or return of the sun or son. But

    > its
    > > actually visible epiphany is not celebrated till spring, and the

    > summer
    > > equinox is special full blown kiss of fire. The glory of existence

    > in
    > > full bloom, at the peak of its yearly cycle. To be celebrated as

    > such.
    >
    > Temperamental difference: I am very strongly energized by the cold and
    > dark.
    > If you have any familiarity with the Carnot cycle, you're aware that
    > the
    > greatest heat difference results in the greatest efficiency and best
    > output.
    >
    > Besides, I agree with this assessment:
    >
    > APRIL is the cruellest month, breeding
    > Lilacs out of the dead land, mixing
    > Memory and desire, stirring
    > Dull roots with spring rain.
    > Winter kept us warm, covering
    > Earth in forgetful snow, feeding
    > A little life with dried tubers.

    "The boat responded
    Gaily, to the hand expert with sail and oar
    The sea was calm, your heart would have responded
    Gaily, when invited, beating obedient
    To controlling hands."

  16. JL wrote:

    > "The boat responded
    > Gaily, to the hand expert with sail and oar
    > The sea was calm, your heart would have responded
    > Gaily, when invited, beating obedient
    > To controlling hands."

    Translation: People look for guidance in life, even when they're not aware
    that they're looking for it.

    Jesus Christ, does this proselytizing have to appear in EVERY thread?

    Bob

  17. In article <[email protected]>,
    "Bob Terwilliger" <[email protected]_spammer.biz> wrote:

    > JL wrote:
    >
    > > "The boat responded
    > > Gaily, to the hand expert with sail and oar
    > > The sea was calm, your heart would have responded
    > > Gaily, when invited, beating obedient
    > > To controlling hands."

    > Translation: People look for guidance in life, even when they're not aware
    > that they're looking for it.
    >
    > Jesus Christ, does this proselytizing have to appear in EVERY thread?
    >
    > Bob

    Quit being a Bitch Bob. ;-)
    Poetry is not proselytizing.......

    Cheers!
    --
    Om.

  18. On Mon 02 Jan 2006 01:21:16a, Thus Spake Zarathustra, or was it
    OmManiPadmeOmelet?

    > In article <[email protected]>,
    > "Bob Terwilliger" <[email protected]_spammer.biz> wrote:
    >
    >> JL wrote:
    >>
    >> > "The boat responded
    >> > Gaily, to the hand expert with sail and oar
    >> > The sea was calm, your heart would have responded
    >> > Gaily, when invited, beating obedient
    >> > To controlling hands."

    >> Translation: People look for guidance in life, even when they're not
    >> aware that they're looking for it.
    >>
    >> Jesus Christ, does this proselytizing have to appear in EVERY thread?
    >>
    >> Bob
    >>

    > Quit being a Bitch Bob. ;-)
    > Poetry is not proselytizing.......
    >
    > Cheers!

    This has all grown weary on me.

    Nite, all!

    --
    Wayne Boatwright *¿*

  19. In article <[email protected]>,
    Wayne Boatwright <[email protected]> wrote:

    > On Mon 02 Jan 2006 01:21:16a, Thus Spake Zarathustra, or was it
    > OmManiPadmeOmelet?
    >
    > > In article <[email protected]>,

    > >> Translation: People look for guidance in life, even when they're not
    > >> aware that they're looking for it.
    > >>
    > >> Jesus Christ, does this proselytizing have to appear in EVERY thread?
    > >>
    > >> Bob
    > >>

    > > Quit being a Bitch Bob. ;-)
    > > Poetry is not proselytizing.......
    > >
    > > Cheers!

    > This has all grown weary on me.
    >
    > Nite, all!

    Peace babe...
    and pleasant dreams!
    --
    Om.

  20. serene wrote:

    > On 2 Jan 2006 01:24:01 -0600, "Bob Terwilliger"
    > <[email protected]_spammer.biz> wrote:
    >
    > >Temperamental difference: I am very strongly energized by the cold

    > and dark.
    >
    > Me, too. A gray day makes me happy, and a rainy, gray day makes me
    > genuinely bouncy-happy. It can be annoying for those who think those
    > days are "gloomy" (or who have seasonal depression), but there it is.
    > I love the cold and the rain and the gloom, so my move from San Diego
    > to Oakland was a really good idea.
    >
    > serene

    You should be ecstatic then? I live in Oakland also and while i don't
    have the same appreciation of 'winter weather' you seem to have i will
    say that its a great excuse to hunker down and cocoon myself inside.

    I used to have a place right on the beach in Oceanside a bit north of
    San Diego and could watch, mesmerized, a stormy ocean for hours.
    Something about the drama of the ocean that i just don't get watching
    the trees & shrubbery drip and rain puddle on the ground turning the
    lawn into a soggy mess.
    ---
    JL