I'm thinking about purchasing a new 10 speed bicycle ...

"Pat" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> "PJ Kni" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
> : what are the best brands/models?
> : thnaks...:)
>
> Sorry, I haven't seen a "new 10 speed" for at least 10 years. You're too
> late!

Maybe the OP is looking for a bike with a 10 speed cassette?

--
Warm Regards,

Claire Petersky

See the books I've set free at:

On Fri, 22 Apr 2005 08:47:47 -0500, "Pat" <[email protected]> wrote:

>"PJ Kni" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>news:[email protected]...
>: what are the best brands/models?
>: thnaks...:)
>
>Sorry, I haven't seen a "new 10 speed" for at least 10 years. You're too
>late!

The point being that we'd need a lot more information than you've
given us in order to make a reasonable recommendation. As the previous
poster says, these days quality "10 speeds" typically come with a
minimum of 18 speeds and as many as 27.

You say you're looking for the "best brands". A friend of mine
recently got an Independent Fabrications, Campy Record equipped road
bike (10-speed?) for which she paid in excess of $5000(US). Is this
the sort of thing you have in mind?

John Everett wrote:
> On Fri, 22 Apr 2005 08:47:47 -0500, "Pat" <[email protected]> wrote:
>

>>"PJ Kni" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>>news:[email protected]...
>>: what are the best brands/models?
>>: thnaks...:)
>>
>>Sorry, I haven't seen a "new 10 speed" for at least 10 years. You're too
>>late!

> The point being that we'd need a lot more information than you've
> given us in order to make a reasonable recommendation. As the previous
> poster says, these days quality "10 speeds" typically come with a
> minimum of 18 speeds and as many as 27.
>
> You say you're looking for the "best brands". A friend of mine
> recently got an Independent Fabrications, Campy Record equipped road
> bike (10-speed?) for which she paid in excess of $5000(US). Is this
> the sort of thing you have in mind?

I am also looking for a new bike, I also need some recommendations...
Of course the first question should be what it will be used for....

In my case, some around town, some commuting, a few longer distance
runs, probably with 5kg of camera gear either on the bike or on me.

The operator is a 175cm (5'9") guy with weighing in around 100kg
(220lb), just getting ready to turn double sailboats (44).

Budget is reasonably low, ($5000 is way too high, thinking more in the
$300 range).

Any ideas......

Claire Petersky wrote:

> "Pat" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
> >
> > "PJ Kni" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> > news:[email protected]...
> > : what are the best brands/models?
> > : thnaks...:)
> >
> > Sorry, I haven't seen a "new 10 speed" for at least 10 years. You're too
> > late!

> Maybe the OP is looking for a bike with a 10 speed cassette?
>
> --
> Warm Regards,
>
> Claire Petersky
>
> Personal page: http://www.geocities.com/cpetersky/
> See the books I've set free at:
> http://bookcrossing.com/referral/Cpetersky

10-speed cassette? 10 cogs? Think of the possibilities with 3 chain rings!!!
:)
(I know ... you probably meant "cassette for a 10-speed".)

just a bike to ride the last one I had several years ago when I was a
kid was a 10 speed a huffy careera...
I haven't been on a bike in a long time but now that I've had
successful cataract surgery and can see much better than I have in
years I thought I might get a bke...
any suggestions?

The Wogster wrote:
> I am also looking for a new bike, I also need some recommendations...

> Of course the first question should be what it will be used for....
>
> In my case, some around town, some commuting, a few longer distance
> runs, probably with 5kg of camera gear either on the bike or on me.
>
> The operator is a 175cm (5'9") guy with weighing in around 100kg
> (220lb), just getting ready to turn double sailboats (44).
>
> Budget is reasonably low, ($5000 is way too high, thinking more in

the
> $300 range).

For that sort of riding, you'll find a wider tire (32-35mm +, say) is
nice to have. A 26" vs 700c wheel size isn't a big deal. For on-road
use, most bike suspensions are just extra weight, but some people like
a shock absorbing seat post and/or handlebar stem. A way to rack a
mount is nice for a commuter, too, as are fenders.

If I was carring 5km of camera gear, I'd consider a foam-lined trunk
box that can be solidly fitted to a rack but can still be removed
quickly for security. My LBS sells some funky looking Italian ones that
look like Vespa accessories. They keylock to what I think is a custom
rack.

For $300, you're better off with a good used bike than a department
store bike, especially if you budget for new tires and a tuneup.
There's little point in buying junk.

My main bike is a modified hybrid. It's been on at least 3000 km of
long rides, plus half a decade of all-weather commuting to the tune of
about 3-4000km per year. It cost me about $300 CDN 5 years ago, and
I've probably spent twice that much again on tubes, patches, tires,
chains, cassettes, bearings, bottom brackets, and derailers (salt and
ice are hard on parts.) I also went through at least 3 seats and 3
handlebar configurations, but that's more me playing around than
anything else.

PJ Kni wrote:
> just a bike to ride the last one I had several years ago when I was a
> kid was a 10 speed a huffy careera...
> I haven't been on a bike in a long time but now that I've had
> successful cataract surgery and can see much better than I have in
> years I thought I might get a bke...
> any suggestions?

I'd recommend going to your local LBS and trying out a few. Then go home
and think about it for awhile. There are now many differnt type of
bikes; Road bikes, Mountain Bikes, "Comfort" Bikes. You're probably
picturing a road bike, but might in fact prefer a comfort bike when you
see them.

Rich

Brian Huntley wrote:
> The Wogster wrote:
>
>>I am also looking for a new bike, I also need some recommendations...

>>Of course the first question should be what it will be used for....
>>
>>In my case, some around town, some commuting, a few longer distance
>>runs, probably with 5kg of camera gear either on the bike or on me.
>>
>>The operator is a 175cm (5'9") guy with weighing in around 100kg
>>(220lb), just getting ready to turn double sailboats (44).
>>
>>Budget is reasonably low, ($5000 is way too high, thinking more in

> the
>
>>$300 range).

> For that sort of riding, you'll find a wider tire (32-35mm +, say) is
> nice to have. A 26" vs 700c wheel size isn't a big deal. For on-road
> use, most bike suspensions are just extra weight, but some people like
> a shock absorbing seat post and/or handlebar stem. A way to rack a
> mount is nice for a commuter, too, as are fenders.

Yeah, some wider tires might be good....

> If I was carring 5km of camera gear, I'd consider a foam-lined trunk
> box that can be solidly fitted to a rack but can still be removed
> quickly for security. My LBS sells some funky looking Italian ones that
> look like Vespa accessories. They keylock to what I think is a custom
> rack.

I have a good camera bag, just need a good way to attach it. to a rack,
which I would like....

> For $300, you're better off with a good used bike than a department
> store bike, especially if you budget for new tires and a tuneup.
> There's little point in buying junk.

That's what I thought.....

> My main bike is a modified hybrid. It's been on at least 3000 km of
> long rides, plus half a decade of all-weather commuting to the tune of
> about 3-4000km per year. It cost me about $300 CDN 5 years ago, and
> I've probably spent twice that much again on tubes, patches, tires,
> chains, cassettes, bearings, bottom brackets, and derailers (salt and
> ice are hard on parts.) I also went through at least 3 seats and 3
> handlebar configurations, but that's more me playing around than
> anything else.

I was thinking something with a 7 speed hub rather then a large number
of cogs on a derailleur. Wonder if it's possible to put drop bars on a
comfort bike.....

Apples vs. Oranges.

go to a bike store. Spend $1000 or more. Make sure they fit you right.

I only know from experience.

Of course it depends on how much you will ride.

If a few thousand miles a year, spend the money, you won't be sorry.

Bartow
Airborne Zepplin, Lemond Sarte, Canondale T-2000, Airborne Manhatten
Project, Klein Q Pro XX, Ridley Boreas, Vision Recumbent...and several
others

"Mike Latondresse" <mikelat@no_spam_shaw.ca> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> "Pat" <[email protected]> wrote in
> news:[email protected]:
>

>> "PJ Kni" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>> news:[email protected]...
>>: what are the best brands/models?
>>: thnaks...:)
>>
>> Sorry, I haven't seen a "new 10 speed" for at least 10 years.
>> You're too late!
>>
>> Pat in TX
>>:
>>

> What do you mean the latest Campy and Shimano stuff is 10 speed.

On Fri, 22 Apr 2005 16:41:22 GMT, Michael <[email protected]> wrote in
message <[email protected]>:

>10-speed cassette? 10 cogs? Think of the possibilities with 3 chain rings!!!

I think the most gears I've seen on a bike was a Sram 8x3 on the back,
a double chainring and a Schlupf mountain drive - 8x3x2x2 = 96 gears.
I'm sure more can be achieved, but that's the most I've actually seen
on a real, everyday-use bike. It was, of course, a recumbent trike.

Guy
http://www.chapmancentral.co.uk

On 22 Apr 2005 11:14:22 -0700, "PJ Kni" <[email protected]> wrote in
message <[email protected]>:

>just a bike to ride the last one I had several years ago when I was a
>kid was a 10 speed a huffy careera...

Got your fireproof suit on? ;-)

http://www.jasmine.org.uk:8180/urcautofaq/jsp/Wiki?GoBuyBike is the
uk.rec.cycling version.

On Sat, 23 Apr 2005 05:09:04 GMT, Mike Latondresse wrote:
> "Pat" <[email protected]> wrote in
> news:[email protected]:
>

>> "PJ Kni" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>> news:[email protected]...
>>: what are the best brands/models?
>>: thnaks...:)
>>
>> Sorry, I haven't seen a "new 10 speed" for at least 10 years.
>> You're too late!
>>
>> Pat in TX
>>:
>>

> What do you mean the latest Campy and Shimano stuff is 10 speed.

And it makes your bike a ....

.... 20 speed (I haven't seen the new 10 cog cluster on a triple yet,
anyone? anyone?).

--
Linux Home Automation Neil Cherry [email protected]
http://home.comcast.net/~ncherry/ (Text only)

Just zis Guy, you know? <[email protected]> wrote:

> I think the most gears I've seen on a bike was a Sram 8x3 on the back,
> a double chainring and a Schlupf mountain drive - 8x3x2x2 = 96 gears.
> I'm sure more can be achieved, but that's the most I've actually seen
> on a real, everyday-use bike. It was, of course, a recumbent trike.

I can top that! Also seen on a recumbent: Triple crankset up
front, driving a 5-speed cluster below the seat, which in turn drove a
7-speed cluster at the rear wheel. 3x5x7 - 105 gears!

K.

Király <[email protected]> wrote:
> I can top that! Also seen on a recumbent: Triple crankset up
> front, driving a 5-speed cluster below the seat, which in turn drove a
> 7-speed cluster at the rear wheel. 3x5x7 - 105 gears!

The stoker's crankset on our ViewPoint tandem drives a 7-speed cluster,
which drives the captain's triple crankset, which drives a 9-speed cluster
on the rear wheel: 7 x 3 x 9 = 189 gears

It would be easy to set one up with 9 x 3 x 9 = 243 gears.

For the stoker, anyway. The captain gets only 3 x 9 = 27 gears.
--
Darin McGrew, [email protected], http://www.rahul.net/mcgrew/
Web Design Group, [email protected], http://www.HTMLHelp.com/

"Advice is what you ask for when you know the answer but wish you didn't."