I'm thinking of a 2003 bike as I notice the 2004 models are out...

Discussion in 'Australia and New Zealand' started by Paulus, Oct 15, 2003.

  1. Paulus

    Paulus Guest

    ...so, with that in mind, does anyone have a link to a site with 2003 vs 2004 pirce comparisons for
    bikes with shimano 105 and ultegra equipment?

    I wish to see if I can get a decenly spec'd bike of 2003 vintage cheaper than a 2004 model. One shop
    I have in mind has a 20% off '03 stock at present and my wallet has a hole being burned in it :))

    Paul 1992 Giant Kronos in need of upgrade

    Tags:

  2. Gaza

    Gaza Guest

    My Giant MB was $120 cheaper and better components for the 2004 model.

    "Paulus" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > ...so, with that in mind, does anyone have a link to a site with 2003 vs 2004 pirce comparisons
    > for bikes with shimano 105 and ultegra equipment?
    >
    > I wish to see if I can get a decenly spec'd bike of 2003 vintage cheaper than a 2004 model.
    > One shop I have in mind has a 20% off '03 stock at present and my wallet has a hole being
    > burned in it :))
    >
    > Paul 1992 Giant Kronos in need of upgrade

  3. Cletus75

    Cletus75 New Member

    Joined:
    Sep 15, 2003
    Its not just prices to watch for. There's a few places in Melb that have been running out their 2003 Giant OCR1s for $1650 or so, with the new models back at $1,899. That said, the new model looks to have an upgraded fork, Shimano WH540 wheels and new frame geometry (please don't flame me if wrong on this - I had a five second look when dropping my wheels off for a service).

    Similarly the 2003 Avanti Konas are going for $1600 or so (damn... I thought mine was cheap at $2k) but the new bike pitched at the Giant TCR Aero rather than the OCR1...
    Not really like for like.

  4. John Doe

    John Doe Guest

    > I wish to see if I can get a decenly spec'd bike of 2003 vintage cheaper than a 2004 model.
    > One shop I have in mind has a 20% off '03 stock at present and my wallet has a hole being
    > burned in it :))
    >
    > Paul 1992 Giant Kronos in need of upgrade

    I was recently told (last week) from my LBS that Giants models this year are cheaper and have better
    components. The Aussie dollar has apparently made a difference or so he told me.

  5. bigW

    bigW New Member

    Joined:
    Sep 24, 2003
    check out

    www.roadbikereview.com

    I have generally be able to find what I need there..

  6. David

    David Guest

    Cletus75 <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...
    > Gaza wrote:
    > > My Giant MB was $120 cheaper and better components for the 2004 model. "Paulus"
    > > <[email protected]> wrote in message news:a7bjb.6083$d6.263454-
    > > @nasal.pacific.net.aunews:[email protected]
    > > > ...so, with that in mind, does anyone have a link to a site with 2003 vs 2004 pirce
    > > > comparisons for bikes with shimano 105 and ultegra equipment?
    > > >
    > > > I wish to see if I can get a decenly spec'd bike of 2003 vintage cheaper than a 2004 model.
    > > > One shop I have in mind has a 20% off '03 stock at present and my wallet has a hole being
    > > > burned in it :))
    > > >
    > > > Paul 1992 Giant Kronos in need of upgrade
    >

    > Its not just prices to watch for. There's a few places in Melb that have been running out their
    > 2003 Giant OCR1s for $1650 or so, with the new models back at $1,899. That said, the new model
    > looks to have an upgraded fork, Shimano WH540 wheels and new frame geometry (please don't flame me
    > if wrong on this - I had a five second look when dropping my wheels off for a service).

    Your 5 second look was spot on. You should be able to get the 2004 Giant OCR1 (105's + R540) for
    less than the RRP of $1899. There is a bike shop in WA that is advertising it on the web for 12.5%
    less. This makes it $1660. Which is only $10 more than the price Paul was quoted for the 2003 Giant
    OCR1. There is a Bike store in Melbourne advertising (on the web) 10% off Giant 2004 bikes. I'll
    check this out in the next few weeks. I am 8 weeks into recovery from a knee reconstruction. I have
    been looking at buying my first road bike for my rehabilitation. The Giant OCR2 and OCR1 look like
    good value.

    > Similarly the 2003 Avanti Konas are going for $1600 or so (damn... I thought mine was cheap at
    > $2k) but the new bike pitched at the Giant TCR Aero rather than the OCR1... Not really like
    > for like.

  7. Paulus

    Paulus Guest

    Looking at Giant's website, I like the look of the 2004 OCR's equip. I do prefer the TCR's geometry
    though. I'll have to check out some LBS's on the weekend and give some bikes an eyeball.

    @nasal.pacific.net.aunews:[email protected]

    '03

    > > Its not just prices to watch for. There's a few places in Melb that have been running out their
    > > 2003 Giant OCR1s for $1650 or so, with the new models back at $1,899. That said, the new model
    > > looks to have an upgraded fork, Shimano WH540 wheels and new frame geometry (please don't flame
    > > me if wrong on this - I had a five second look when dropping my wheels off for a service).
    >
    > Your 5 second look was spot on. You should be able to get the 2004 Giant OCR1 (105's + R540) for
    > less than the RRP of $1899. There is a bike shop in WA that is advertising it on the web for 12.5%
    > less. This makes it $1660. Which is only $10 more than the price Paul was quoted for the 2003
    > Giant OCR1. There is a Bike store in Melbourne advertising (on the web) 10% off Giant 2004 bikes.
    > I'll check this out in the next few weeks. I am 8 weeks into recovery from a knee reconstruction.
    > I have been looking at buying my first road bike for my rehabilitation. The Giant OCR2 and OCR1
    > look like good value.
    >
    > > Similarly the 2003 Avanti Konas are going for $1600 or so (damn... I thought mine was cheap at
    > > $2k) but the new bike pitched at the Giant TCR Aero rather than the OCR1... Not really like
    > > for like.

  8. Tim Jones

    Tim Jones Guest

    @nasal.pacific.net.aunews:[email protected]

    '03

    > > Its not just prices to watch for. There's a few places in Melb that have been running out their
    > > 2003 Giant OCR1s for $1650 or so, with the new models back at $1,899. That said, the new model
    > > looks to have an upgraded fork, Shimano WH540 wheels and new frame geometry (please don't flame
    > > me if wrong on this - I had a five second look when dropping my wheels off for a service).
    >
    > Your 5 second look was spot on. You should be able to get the 2004 Giant OCR1 (105's + R540) for
    > less than the RRP of $1899. There is a bike shop in WA that is advertising it on the web for 12.5%
    > less. This makes it $1660. Which is only $10 more than the price Paul was quoted for the 2003
    > Giant OCR1. There is a Bike store in Melbourne advertising (on the web) 10% off Giant 2004 bikes.
    > I'll check this out in the next few weeks. I am 8 weeks into recovery from a knee reconstruction.
    > I have been looking at buying my first road bike for my rehabilitation. The Giant OCR2 and OCR1
    > look like good value.

    What is the Melbourne online store? Didn't find it googling (search on {melbourne yukon giant 2004}
    in Australia).

    Cheers,

    Tim

  9. David

    David Guest

    "Tim Jones" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...
    > "David" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]...
    > > Cletus75 <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:<[email protected]>...
    > model.
    > > > >
    > @nasal.pacific.net.aunews:[email protected]
    > 2003

    > '03

    > > > Its not just prices to watch for. There's a few places in Melb that have been running out
    > > > their 2003 Giant OCR1s for $1650 or so, with the new models back at $1,899. That said, the new
    > > > model looks to have an upgraded fork, Shimano WH540 wheels and new frame geometry (please
    > > > don't flame me if wrong on this - I had a five second look when dropping my wheels off for a
    > > > service).
    > >
    > > Your 5 second look was spot on. You should be able to get the 2004 Giant OCR1 (105's + R540) for
    > > less than the RRP of $1899. There is a bike shop in WA that is advertising it on the web for
    > > 12.5% less. This makes it $1660. Which is only $10 more than the price Paul was quoted for the
    > > 2003 Giant OCR1. There is a Bike store in Melbourne advertising (on the web) 10% off Giant 2004
    > > bikes. I'll check this out in the next few weeks. I am 8 weeks into recovery from a knee
    > > reconstruction. I have been looking at buying my first road bike for my rehabilitation. The
    > > Giant OCR2 and OCR1 look like good value.
    >
    > What is the Melbourne online store? Didn't find it googling (search on {melbourne yukon giant
    > 2004} in Australia).

    There are lots of Bike stores online but the bike store advertising at 10% off all 2004 Giant bikes
    was Unicycles located at Melbourne Uni (http://www.unibicycles.com.au/). I haven't personally
    checked the store out myself. However, I emailed them and they said they have a full range of road
    bikes on the floor. Opening hours are:
    8.30am 5pm Monday to Thursday
    9.30am 4pm Fridays,and 8.30am-12pm

    > Cheers,
    >
    > Tim

  10. Paulus

    Paulus Guest

    Goldcross had 20% off 2003 bikes. I'm gonna check them out today.

    "David" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > "Tim Jones" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...
    > > "David" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > > news:[email protected]...
    > > > Cletus75 <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > > news:<[email protected]>...
    > > model.
    > > > > >
    > > @nasal.pacific.net.aunews:[email protected]
    > > 2003

    > > '03

    don't

    > > > Your 5 second look was spot on. You should be able to get the 2004 Giant OCR1 (105's + R540)
    > > > for less than the RRP of $1899. There is a bike shop in WA that is advertising it on the web
    > > > for 12.5% less. This makes it $1660. Which is only $10 more than the price Paul was quoted for
    > > > the 2003 Giant OCR1. There is a Bike store in Melbourne advertising (on the web) 10% off Giant
    > > > 2004 bikes. I'll check this out in the next few weeks. I am 8 weeks into recovery from a knee
    > > > reconstruction. I have been looking at buying my first road bike for my rehabilitation. The
    > > > Giant OCR2 and OCR1 look like good value.
    > >
    > > What is the Melbourne online store? Didn't find it googling (search on {melbourne yukon giant
    > > 2004} in Australia).
    >
    > There are lots of Bike stores online but the bike store advertising at 10% off all 2004 Giant
    > bikes was Unicycles located at Melbourne Uni (http://www.unibicycles.com.au/). I haven't
    > personally checked the store out myself. However, I emailed them and they said they have a full
    > range of road bikes on the floor. Opening hours are:
    > 8.30am 5pm Monday to Thursday
    > 8.30am 4pm Fridays,and 8.30am-12pm
    >
    > > Cheers,
    > >
    > > Tim

  11. Cletus75

    Cletus75 New Member

    Joined:
    Sep 15, 2003
    Phew.... was battoning down the hatches for a flaming!
    :cool:

  12. Paulus

    Paulus Guest

    "Cletus75" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > David wrote: *snippity snip snip snip*

    Ok, here is what happened.

    I went to Goldcross and checked out the 2003 and 2004 stock. I was after a 2003 TCR2, and had an eye
    on the 2004 OCR1 (better wheels and same componentry as 2003 tcr2).

    The 2003 bike was over 2k, the ocr1 was 1899.

    After that I went to Learsport and checked out the learsport 8000 (105 equipm and the 540 wheels,
    same as 2004 ocr1 but $100 cheaper, slightly tighter geometry).

    The end result was the learsport. I'm happy so far as it begs me to go faster (even hurtling down
    hills at 75kph). The seatpost may need to be a little longer. As I got the bike on Saturday I spent
    all of Sunday swearing at the weather, and even more so when I emerged for a movie theater to sunny
    skies, dry roads and 10hr lef tod sun shine :/

  13. M2cycler

    M2cycler New Member

    Joined:
    Jul 30, 2003
    good choice of bike, i got a lear 8000 too(black red). 105, nice frame, tough wheels(105 hub, alex rims), good components. 1500 dollars. i don't think you could get much better value than that even for a 2003 bike.

    yeah the seatpost was a bit short, i managed to get that swapped for a longer one.