I'm thinking of going Pro. How much do domestic pros make?

Chemicalpeel

Guest
Ok, forget the first part. But how much dough do U.S. pros make in a year with salary, prizes and
endorsements? I have my suspicions but I want to see what the RBR experts say.

I mean pros racing mostly in U.S. not the Armstrongs and Hincapies (though I am curious about the
Euro non-Lances too...)

Anyone? Bueller?

"chemicalpeel" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Ok, forget the first part. But how much dough do U.S. pros make in a year with salary, prizes and
> endorsements?

A better question might be 'How much does the average US Pro have to pay to race?'

"chemicalpeel" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Ok, forget the first part. But how much dough do U.S. pros make in a year with salary, prizes and
> endorsements? I have my suspicions but I want to see what the RBR experts say.

Dumbass -

You have committed a crime against humanity, cast a stain on the purity of ration and logic.

Do not use the words "RBR" and "expert" in the same phrase.

Thank you very much for your cooperation.

>Ok, forget the first part. But how much dough do U.S. pros make in a year with salary, prizes and
>endorsements? I have my suspicions but I want to see what the RBR experts say. I mean pros racing
>mostly in U.S. not the Armstrongs and Hincapies (though I am curious about the Euro non-Lances
>too...) Anyone? Bueller?

Right around minimum wage.
--------------
Alex

"chemicalpeel" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Ok, forget the first part. But how much dough do U.S. pros make in a year with salary, prizes and
> endorsements? I have my suspicions but
> want to see what the RBR experts say.
>
> I mean pros racing mostly in U.S. not the Armstrongs and Hincapies (though I am curious about the
> Euro non-Lances too...)
>
> Anyone? Bueller?

Man, are you for real? They don't even make enough to pay the travel expenses if they're on a team
that doesn't provide for the travel. And if you don't make it big the first year they bury you and
hire another sucker.

If you want to be a pro, go ahead and try it but remember that you're going to make nothing at all
for the first three or more years unless you can beat Chris Horner right out of the barrel. Then
you'll make minimum wage.

If you're young though there's nothing wrong with suffering some. Work and train in the winter and
save all of your money so that you can race the summer away. Personally if I had it to do over again
I'd much rather do that than race motorcycles.

"Kurgan Gringioni" <[email protected]> wrote in
message news:[email protected]...

> "chemicalpeel" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
> > Ok, forget the first part. But how much dough do U.S. pros make in a year with salary, prizes
> > and endorsements? I have my suspicions but I want to see what the RBR experts say.
>

> Dumbass -
>

> You have committed a crime against humanity, cast a stain on the purity of ration and logic.
>
> Do not use the words "RBR" and "expert" in the same phrase.
>

> Thank you very much for your cooperation.

Henry, does he mean a Cat 3 Master Pro or those guys on Divison III Teams??

Danny Callen

[email protected] (chemicalpeel) wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> Ok, forget the first part. But how much dough do U.S. pros make in a year with salary, prizes and
> endorsements? I have my suspicions but I want to see what the RBR experts say.
>
> I mean pros racing mostly in U.S. not the Armstrongs and Hincapies (though I am curious about the
> Euro non-Lances too...)
>
> Anyone? Bueller?

If it is the modal salary you are after, the answer is $0.

-RJ

The pros I am aquantied with work a regular job (most part-time) at a bike shop or some field
involved with the sport and race. The racing "doesn't pay the bills". The job gets them to the
races. Some teams cover entry fees and travel, but still it is nothing to get excited about.

Paul

"Tom Kunich" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> "chemicalpeel" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
> > Ok, forget the first part. But how much dough do U.S. pros make in a year with salary, prizes
> > and endorsements? I have my suspicions but
> I want to see what the RBR experts say.
>
> Man, are you for real? They don't even make enough to pay the travel expenses if they're on a team
> that doesn't provide for the travel. And if you don't make it big the first year they bury you and
> hire another sucker.

Can't be true. Does anybody know? I had a friend who raced pro in the early 90's, he said the top
salaries were $80-$100k, avg was about $35k. Sounded like there were about 40 guys in the avg range,
with half a dozen or fewer in the upper ranges.

How does the current pay structure compare? How much is a Horner worth (or, perhaps more
pragmatically, how much will he get) in 2004? Anyone?

Chem

[email protected] (chemicalpeel) wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> news:<[email protected]>... Can't be true. Does anybody know?
> I had a friend who raced pro in the early 90's, he said the top salaries were $80-$100k, avg was
> about $35k. Sounded like there were about 40 guys in the avg range, with half a dozen or fewer in
> the upper ranges.
>
> How does the current pay structure compare? How much is a Horner worth (or, perhaps more
> pragmatically, how much will he get) in 2004? Anyone?

The pro I know quit because he was making more money tossing Pizza. He rode for a "Real" pro team
(not one of the quick and dirty DIII teams). I can't see them making more than 20k a year.

-a