I'm thinking of upgrading my HRM...anyone got any thoughts on my thoughts?

Paulus

Guest
Greetings all

I'm trying to decide between the polar s720i and the s710i. (Got to love my
tax refund :)) As far as I can tell the units are exactly the same feature
wise. The only diff is the pricier one (s720) has a metal case (woopy do).
If anyone knows about these units, can they express their opinion as to
which is best? (I'm currently using a base model hrm that has upper and
lower alarms and I can't be bothered estimating my HR any more...decided to
become a techno freak). LOL

Thanks muchly.

Greetings all

I'm trying to decide between the polar s720i and the s710i. (Got to love my
tax refund :)) As far as I can tell the units are exactly the same feature
wise. The only diff is the pricier one (s720) has a metal case (woopy do).
If anyone knows about these units, can they express their opinion as to
which is best? (I'm currently using a base model hrm that has upper and
lower alarms and I can't be bothered estimating my HR any more...decided to
become a techno freak). LOL

I have another question. I have a road bike and a mountain bike. Do these
HRM's have an easy way to switch between wheel sizes?

Thanks muchly.

Paulus wrote:
> Greetings all
> I'm trying to decide between the polar s720i and the s710i. (Got to love
> my tax refund :)) As far as I can tell the units are exactly the same
> feature wise. The only diff is the pricier one (s720) has a metal case
> (woopy do). If anyone knows about these units, can they express their
> opinion as to which is best? (I'm currently using a base model hrm that
> has upper and lower alarms and I can't be bothered estimating my HR any
> more...decided to become a techno freak). LOL
> I have another question. I have a road bike and a mountain bike. Do
> these HRM's have an easy way to switch between wheel sizes?
> Thanks muchly.

I have the following to say:

I have a different Polar HRM with titanium casing (M71ti). It looks way
better than the standard plastic models. However, it scratches easily.
So the sharp looks won't last long. If the looks is a factor here, you'd
better keep this in mind.

Yeah, S-series are good for cycling. However, I decided to have a
dedicated cycle computer separately for much less price. I recently got
myself decent computer (with two actual computers in one casing) and the
above HRM for $475. In my opinion the flexibility and the function is
better, especially that I was intending to use the PC interface for
connecting to a home PC. I have a spreadsheet (in Excel) into which I
enter necessary data after each session. My 2c.

Paulus wrote:
> Greetings all
>
> I'm trying to decide between the polar s720i and the s710i. (Got to love my
> tax refund :)) As far as I can tell the units are exactly the same feature
> wise. The only diff is the pricier one (s720) has a metal case (woopy do).
> If anyone knows about these units, can they express their opinion as to
> which is best? (I'm currently using a base model hrm that has upper and
> lower alarms and I can't be bothered estimating my HR any more...decided to
> become a techno freak). LOL
>
> I have another question. I have a road bike and a mountain bike. Do these
> HRM's have an easy way to switch between wheel sizes?
>
> Thanks muchly.

The Polar s5xx + s7xx range let you have settings for 2 bikes, and you
can swap between the two. You may have to invest in a second set of
sensors. Hope that refund was big!

--
Cheers
LB

"Luther Blissett" <[email protected]> wrote
in message news:[email protected]...
> The Polar s5xx + s7xx range let you have settings for 2 bikes, and you
> can swap between the two. You may have to invest in a second set of
> sensors. Hope that refund was big!

~$90 for a second sensor though...
Could buy two Cateye Mity 2's for that!

hippy
- who wants another sensor or eight

Thanks for your comments.

If I use my mag trainer the bike computer function on the hrm would be
useless (that's where my current cycle computer would still get a gig I
guess!)