IM Wisconsin course vs. Afton in Twin Cities?

Discussion in 'Triathlon' started by Harold Buck, Jun 16, 2003.

  1. Harold Buck

    Harold Buck Guest

    Can anyone give me a good idea how the hills in the Afton area of the Twin Cities compare to the
    hills on the Ironman Wisconsin bike course?

    I'm hoping that if I can do a 100-mile or so ride that contains two Afton loops (plus a ride into
    and out from the Afton park visitors' center on each loop) that I'll be pretty well prepared for the
    Wisconsin bike course, but if that isn't good enough I'll try to find something harder.

    --Harold Buck

    - Homer J. Simpson

    Tags:

  2. Drew

    Drew Guest

    Hello Harold, I didn't race Wisconsin last year (volunteered at one of the run mile-markers), but I
    have trained on the course a couple times to help get ready for Idaho. I can't give you a
    comparison, but I can tell you that the Wisc course is a bit of a challenge. But hey, what fun would
    it be if they just gave it to you, right???? :) The two major climbs are a little tough and there
    are a couple other hills that are challenging as well. You do get a lot of relief from several of
    the descents though. Some of the descents are quite fast and fun.

    If I were racing WI I would get to Verona and take the first 40-mile loop conservatively then see if
    I can take it up a notch in loop-2. That's just me though.

    Have a good time out there. It's everything you've been hearing about and like I said, I was only
    there to train and hand out Gatorade!!! The crowds were amazing!!!

    Good luck. Only 82-days!!!

    Drew Hartman DegreeĀ® Ironman Team

    news:<[email protected]>...