IMAX "Everest" film on R2 DVD?

Discussion in 'General Fitness' started by Tim Synge, Jan 26, 2004.

  1. Tim Synge

    Tim Synge Guest

    Apologies if this may seem marginally OT, but I see the film has been discussed several times here
    and I suspect this topic may be of interest.

    I want to buy a R2 DVD of the IMAX Everest film. My research, pretty much limited to amazon and ebay
    in various countries, suggests that there is a US version DVD and a German version DVD, the latter
    called "Gipfel ohne Gnade" - roughly "Mountain without Mercy". I have ruled out the US version as
    likely to be unplayable on my player, which is R2 only and which I am not keen to alter. What I
    wonder is whether the German version has an English soundtrack option available. If you know the
    answer to this, or have any suggestions that would be likely to lead to a definitive answer, then
    I'd be grateful to hear from you.

    TIA.

    Tim.

    no spam please

    Tags:

  2. Tim Synge

    Tim Synge Guest

    "[H]omer" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...

    > Ultimately you badly *need* to get a more flexible DVD player.

    Thanks for all the info and advice. My reluctance is really down to the fact that this is an
    expensive portable/in-car player and I am a little uncertain about the risks of a machine locking up
    or failing if a hack goes wrong. This may be a completely unfounded worry, but there seem to be so
    many warnings with these hacks and comments along the lines of "if this doesn't work...".
    Ultimately, I think this may be the DVD that persuades me to take the plunge.

    Tim.

    no spam please

  3. Treefrog

    Treefrog Guest

    "Tim Synge" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > "[H]omer" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...

    > > Ultimately you badly *need* to get a more flexible DVD player.
    > >
    > This may be a completely unfounded worry, but there seem to be so many warnings with these hacks
    > and comments along the lines of "if this doesn't work...".>

    Of course there is. Imagine writing a guide on how to fit, for example, a car stereo... a completely
    simple task for anybody with an iota of common sense and nearly impossible to cock up. But even so,
    would you add "I am responsible for any damages caused by you being a thick bastard" at the bottom
    of the guide? Exactly, the trick to it is, go through life ignoring every warning sign you see and
    use you own noggin to decide whether it's safe or not.

    Unless the hack involves opening up the unit and attacking it with a soldering iron, then you can
    presume it's okay to do. The DVD players that have software hacks were designed to play any DVD
    (makes it cheaper to build) but due to absolutely clueless/profiteering wankers, they have to apply
    regions rules. By applying a hack you're not actually making it do anything outside of it's designed
    limits, just opening up existing but hidden features.

    Go and buy the R2 DVD and hack your player. It'll make you a better person.

    BTW - I'm not responsible if you're a retard and mess the job up. ;o)

  4. Treefrog

    Treefrog Guest

    "Treefrog" <[email protected]> wrote in
    message news:[email protected]...
    > "Tim Synge" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]...
    > > "[H]omer" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:<[email protected]>...
    > > >
    > > > Ultimately you badly *need* to get a more flexible DVD player.
    > > >
    > > This may be a completely unfounded worry, but there seem to be so many warnings with these hacks
    > > and comments along the lines of "if this doesn't work...".>
    >
    > Of course there is. Imagine writing a guide on how to fit, for example, a car stereo... a
    > completely simple task for anybody with an iota of common sense and nearly impossible to cock
    > up. But even so, would you add "I am responsible for any damages caused by you being a thick
    > bastard" at the bottom of the guide? Exactly, the trick to it is, go through life ignoring every
    > warning sign
    you
    > see and use you own noggin to decide whether it's safe or not.
    >
    > Unless the hack involves opening up the unit and attacking it with a soldering iron, then you can
    > presume it's okay to do. The DVD players that have software hacks were designed to play any DVD
    > (makes it cheaper to build) but due to absolutely clueless/profiteering wankers, they have to
    > apply regions rules. By applying a hack you're not actually making it do anything outside of it's
    > designed limits, just opening up existing but hidden features.
    >
    > Go and buy the R2 DVD and hack your player. It'll make you a better
    person.

    Silly me. I meant R1... see, it's been that long since I've even thought about region encoding I'd
    forgotten all about it.