IMC vs IMUSA

Greg Milligan

Guest
I'm planning on my first Ironman next year (yes, I've done Olympics and a
half-IM). I wanted advice on IM Canada versus IM USA (Lake Placid). I live
in Toronto, so Lake Placid is much easier to get to, but I'm willing to
travel to IMC if it'll be that much better. Comments appreciated.

Cheers,
Greg

In article <[email protected]>,
"Greg Milligan" <[email protected]> wrote:

> I'm planning on my first Ironman next year (yes, I've done Olympics and a
> half-IM). I wanted advice on IM Canada versus IM USA (Lake Placid). I live
> in Toronto, so Lake Placid is much easier to get to, but I'm willing to
> travel to IMC if it'll be that much better. Comments appreciated.
>
> Cheers,
> Greg

Are you willing to travel there this year just to sign up for next year?
Because that's what people say you have to do: it fills up before online
regitration opens!

--Harold Buck

"I used to rock and roll all night,
and party every day.
Then it was every other day. . . ."
-Homer J. Simpson

"Greg Milligan" <[email protected]> wrote:

>I'm planning on my first Ironman next year (yes, I've done Olympics and a
>half-IM). I wanted advice on IM Canada versus IM USA (Lake Placid). I live
>in Toronto, so Lake Placid is much easier to get to, but I'm willing to
>travel to IMC if it'll be that much better. Comments appreciated.

I've done both and to tell you the truth, they are so similar that I'd
be hard pressed to choose one over the other.

I'd give Penticton an edge for friendliness and support from the
locals. LP may eventually embrace the race like Penticiton does, but
it's not there yet. Very supportive, but not on the same level.

Both courses are drop-dead beautiful and both have similar challenges.
I think LP is a little harder on the bike, but not by a whole lot.

Take your pick. You can't go wrong with either, if you can get in.

Mike Tennent
"IronPenguin"

Mike,
I have done IMC 4 times and am leaving for IMLP for the 1st time. Can you
give me a comparison (bike course in particular).
For Greg, I LOVE IMC! It is fabulous. If you can get in you can't go
wrong. IMC and Roth are my 2 favorite races, so far.
Best wishes, and many thanks!
Good Luck!
David
Never give up, Be satisfied w/ your best, Do unto others.....

To be fair, the population of Penticton is 41,000 compared to Lake
Placid's 2,600. Last year in the driving cold and rain, I think all
2,600 were out to cheer us on at IM-USA, even into the wee hours. At
the end of the race, I came back to my hotel to find a handwritten
note of congratulations (with my correct finishing time) from the
owner slipped under my door. I'm sure the race at IMC is spectacular,
but I would have to take issue with any suggestion that the heart of
the Lake Placid community is not with the Ironman race. My countdown
timer is at 9days to go for this year's race and you can be sure I'll
have my check ready Monday morning to sign up for 2005.

On 16 Jul 2004 19:36:43 GMT, [email protected]ojunk (David) wrote:

>Mike,
> I have done IMC 4 times and am leaving for IMLP for the 1st time. Can you
>give me a comparison (bike course in particular).

Ok, here's my read on them.

After leaving LP there's a series of moderate climbs, and then the
log, whooping downhill, very similar to Richter Pass downhill. The
early climbs at LP are more sustained than the early section at IMC.

Then it flattens out for 20 miles or so, but then there's a long
moderate climb on rougher road before the out and back, which also
includes a series of short but moderately steep hills. Not too
different from IMC's middle, but a bit harder overall.

The last 12 miles of the loop is almost continuous up hill along a
beautiful valley/river. The last two years it's been into a 25 mph
wind and it's been pretty bad. I don't think it's as steep as Yellow
Lake, but it's longer. The last section gets steeper in 3 places (the
3 bears), but it's fairly short.

But of course, you have to do all of it twice, and I think that's why
it's a bit harder.

I think the runs have similar challenges - there's one long,
moderately steep climb, but LP also throws in a short, very steep hill
near the transition area. And again, you have to them twice.
Scenically, I'd give a slight edge to IMC on the run.

Hope this helps.

Good Luck!

Mike Tennent
IronPenguin Electronics
www.ironpeng.com/ipe
Special Effects lighting,
Traffic lights, Crossing guards

On 16 Jul 2004 13:02:03 -0700, [email protected] (Pinarello Crono)
wrote:

> I'm sure the race at IMC is spectacular,
>but I would have to take issue with any suggestion that the heart of
>the Lake Placid community is not with the Ironman race.

Goodness, I didn't mean to imply they weren't.

I love Lake Placid and the area. It's a fantastic race and well
supported by the community. To say that Penticton supports their race
even more is not a knock on the fine folks at Lake Placid, just a
comparison of where each race is at right now.