IMH slot auctioned on Ebay

Discussion in 'Triathlon' started by Deadbeef, Nov 16, 2003.

  1. Deadbeef

    Deadbeef Guest

    Tags:

  2. Imken

    Imken Guest

    The article said "Now that you are a certified Ironwoman"

    Sorry, not till she qualifies by competing. Buying in is not "Certification".

    This kind of crap is one of the reasons I decided not to compete at IMH last year after qualifying.
    Racing at IMH is becoming an mark of "Stature" rather than athletic ability.

    I found it interesting that she had the broken toe but received her injury from being kicked. OK, it
    could happen. Also interesting that she could not take time from her job for training after all, she
    is only the wife of a "Billionaire"

    Thanks for posting the link. Good story.

    Attack the Troll

    "deadbeef" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > All you have to do is outbid Michael Dell, the billionaire:

    http://www.statesman.com/life/content/auto/epaper/editions/sunday/life_entertainment_f34aabb3443c10-
    c600ea.html

  3. Gwydion

    Gwydion Guest

    On Mon, 10 Nov 2003 09:06:58 -0800, Harold Buck <[email protected]> wrote:

    > I don't think that's it. The problem is that she bought her way into a world championship
    > event. This DOES NOT happen in other major sports, at least to my knowledge. I could have $100
    > Billion and not be able to get a spot in the world swimming championship, the world track
    > championships, etc.

    Works in baseball . . . Go Yankees : )

  4. JJ Waguespack <[email protected]> wrote in news:[email protected]:

    > IMKen wrote:
    >> I suspect you could be correct. Still, I believe that someplace on the eBay computer is a record
    >> of all the bids placed that Dell's Proxy automatically out bid. Names would be private but
    >> numbers might be available to WTC or others willing to pay for a service.
    >
    > I know this info is available while the bidding is still going on but I don't know how long
    > everything stays up after the bid is over.
    >
    > JJ

    The seller has access to all of it, including email addresses of bidders, for at least 30 days after
    the auction closes. And yes, they do se every bid, even if it's immediately outbid by proxy.

    Tom

  5. Dot

    Dot Guest

    MJuric wrote:
    > On Wed, 12 Nov 2003 08:56:58 -0500, Mike Tennent <[email protected]> wrote:
    >

    >>MJuric wrote:
    >>

    >>> Difference being Boston doesn't have a lottery.
    >>

    >>Doesn't need one. Like I said, anyone can buy into Boston.
    >

    > Really! Wasn't aware. Do they say anything on there site about it? How do you get into the
    > purchased slots?

    Matt, If you don't find anything on their web site, google r.r for "Boston charity" (or maybe some
    other related terms) and you'll find some runners that have done it that way (George Gratton, most
    recently, I believe, but probably others in the past) and that might give you some clues or
    contacts. Some of them are charity groups.

    Dot

  6. Mike Conway

    Mike Conway Guest

    >The article said "Now that you are a certified Ironwoman"
    >
    >Sorry, not till she qualifies by competing. Buying in is not "Certification".

    She did finish the race, no? And no, let's not start this debate again for the umpteenth time... <g>

    In a way, regardless of how you get to Kailua Bay, all of that is stripped away once that cannon
    goes off. Qualifiers, lottery winners (like myself in 2001), those who have the wherewithall to be
    able to buy a slot, whatever...everyone is competing on the same course, in the same conditions. If
    you finish, you're an Ironman. If you don't, you're not.

    Qualifiers finish, lottery winners finish, qualifiers DNF, lottery winners DNF...that's all that
    matters in my book. Do I still have a burning desire to qualify and compete again at IMH? You better
    believe it. As I sit here and look at my finish line photo from 2001, am I less proud because I got
    in via the lottery? Absolutely not.

    We can--and have done so on numerous occasions--argue about the pros and cons of the "dilution" of
    the IMH field, but for me...and I think for many others...race day is what counts, and your
    performance there is what will be remembered.

    Mike C

  7. Mike Tennent

    Mike Tennent Guest

    MJuric wrote:

    >On Wed, 12 Nov 2003 08:56:58 -0500, Mike Tennent <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    >>MJuric wrote:
    >>

    >>> Difference being Boston doesn't have a lottery.
    >>

    >>Doesn't need one. Like I said, anyone can buy into Boston.
    >
    > Really! Wasn't aware. Do they say anything on there site about it? How do you get into the
    > purchased slots?
    >
    >~Matt

    I doubt if it says anything on the site.

    One of the main charities is medical related. A friend of mine was contacted last year and was
    offered (and accepted) a charity slot. I don't remember how much he had to poney up.

    The insurance company sponsor also has corporate slots and there are slots available to runners in
    the community.

    Mike Tennent "IronPenguin" Operating Traffic Lights Crossbucks Special Effects Lighting
    http://www.ironpeng.com/ipe