Impasse

Simonb

Guest
I was involved in an impasse this morning at a pinch poit
where I had right of way, along this stretch, 2 pinch points
have ROW and one No ROW.

I could see the car approaching and the driver saw me as she
slowed just before entering the pinch point, which I was
already lined up for. So, I stopped right in the middle of
it, she stopped and inched towards me; another car, which
was also trying to get through, also blocks the road. Her
first words to me (you guessed it), "Use the cycle path." --
I never use this path as it means crossing and
entering/leaving the road twice to enter and leave it -- it
was put there when they put in the pinch points. I didn't
back down. I ask her to reverse and she now says, "I can't
-- there's a car behind me." Then lots of cars begin piling
up ion front and behind, some of them using the cycle path
to get round! One of them almost taking a cyclist with him!

Then, someone gets out of a lorry behind and says to me, "We
have to get to work, please move.", I say, "Sorry, it's the
car blocking the road that has to move, not me."

Eventually the cyclist who was almost taken out on the cycle
path comes back in support, saying that I have right of way.
Eventually they give in and reverse -- waves of thanks from
me elicit 'the bird' from the driver behind and a long face
from the obstructive driver. I bet she's at work now, "And
there's a cycle path there... and he DIDN'T EVEN USE IT."

So I don't know if I did any good -- long-term -- as I've
probably now become another 'lycra-loony' in her books and
in those of her workmates/acquaintances. Ho hum.

I hate that stretch of road -- but there's no way I'll use
the cycle path.

If anyone cares, it is the stretch of road that runs along
Weston Shore in Southampton (Weston Parade): <url:http://ww-
w.streetmap.co.uk/newmap.srf?x=444750&y=109750&z=1&sv=44475-
0,1 09750&st=4&ar=N&mapp=newmap.srf&searchp=newsearch.srf

I do not think common sense prevailed for any party, just
another example of bloody mindedness for all of you, this
kind of thing is immature and just creates bad blood between
different classes of road user.

--
Ian

http://www.catrike.co.uk

> From: "Simonb"
> <[email protected]> Newsgroups:
> uk.rec.cycling Date: Wed, 28 Apr 2004 09:36:00 +0100
> Subject: Impasse
>
> I was involved in an impasse this morning at a pinch poit
> where I had right of way, along this stretch, 2 pinch
> points have ROW and one No ROW.
>
> I could see the car approaching and the driver saw me as
> she slowed just before entering the pinch point, which I
> was already lined up for. So, I stopped right in the
> middle of it, she stopped and inched towards me; another
> car, which was also trying to get through, also blocks the
> road. Her first words to me (you guessed it), "Use the
> cycle path." -- I never use this path as it means crossing
> and entering/leaving the road twice to enter and leave it
> -- it was put there when they put in the pinch points. I
> didn't back down. I ask her to reverse and she now says,
> "I can't -- there's a car behind me." Then lots of cars
> begin piling up ion front and behind, some of them using
> the cycle path to get round! One of them almost taking a
> cyclist with him!
>
> Then, someone gets out of a lorry behind and says to me,
> "We have to get to work, please move.", I say, "Sorry,
> it's the car blocking the road that has to move, not me."
>
> Eventually the cyclist who was almost taken out on the
> cycle path comes back in support, saying that I have right
> of way. Eventually they give in and reverse -- waves of
> thanks from me elicit 'the bird' from the driver behind
> and a long face from the obstructive driver. I bet she's
> at work now, "And there's a cycle path there... and he
> DIDN'T EVEN USE IT."
>
> So I don't know if I did any good -- long-term -- as I've
> probably now become another 'lycra-loony' in her books and
> in those of her workmates/acquaintances. Ho hum.
>
> I hate that stretch of road -- but there's no way I'll use
> the cycle path.
>
> If anyone cares, it is the stretch of road that runs along
> Weston Shore in Southampton (Weston Parade): <url:http://-
> www.streetmap.co.uk/newmap.srf?x=444750&y=109750&z=1&sv=4-
> 44750,1
> 09750&st=4&ar=N&mapp=newmap.srf&searchp=newsearch.srf>

mae <[email protected]> wedi ysgrifennu:

<...>

> So I don't know if I did any good -- long-term -- as I've
> probably now become another 'lycra-loony' in her books and
> in those of her workmates/acquaintances. Ho hum.

The driver's initial behavior strongly suggests that she
started out with zero respect for you. You had the choice to
either timidly give way to bullying, or take a stand. You
took the latter option and then sensibly stood down before
it all turned nasty. Moral victory to you. The driver now
either still has no respect for you (so no change), or will
think twice before trying to bully cyclists.

--
Rob

Please keep conversations in the newsgroup so that all may
contribute and benefit.

> I do not think common sense prevailed for any party, just
> another example
of
> bloody mindedness for all of you, this kind of thing is
> immature and just creates bad blood between different
> classes of road user.

So what should I have done?

> You took the latter option and then sensibly stood down
> before it all turned nasty. Moral victory to you.

I didn't stand down, she did. Which I see as a moral
victory.

> I was involved in an impasse this morning at a pinch poit
> where I had right of way, along this stretch, 2 pinch
> points have ROW and one No ROW.
<snip>

That's hilarious. Wish I was there. I would have said that
you were acting in a highly immature manner. But when I
mentally put you in a car doing the same thing it seems
entirely reasonable, if ungentlemanly.[1]

Mark.

[1] Still, that's one of the prices of womans lib I guess.

> That's hilarious. Wish I was there. I would have said that
> you were acting in a highly immature manner. But when I
> mentally put you in a car doing the same thing it seems
> entirely reasonable, if ungentlemanly.[1]

More than that, her behaviour was bloody dangerous. If I had
assumed that she was going to stop at the junction (because
that is what it is) and put my head down or looked in
another direction, I would have gone straight into her.

"Simonb" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> > I do not think common sense prevailed for any party,
> > just another
example
> of
> > bloody mindedness for all of you, this kind of thing is
> > immature and
just
> > creates bad blood between different classes of
> > road user.
>
> So what should I have done?

Give way to her. She would not have even seen you so
wouldn't be bad mouthing 'cyclists' to everyone at work
right now and you could take the moral high ground by bad
mouthing ignorant cagers who don't give a toss about the H/C
or cyclists....Everyone happy all-round....or maybe not ;-)
Re-run of Monkeydust last night, featuring the
cyclissszzztz...my wife laughed a lot!

mae <[email protected]> wedi ysgrifennu:
>> You took the latter option and then sensibly stood down
>> before it all turned nasty. Moral victory to you.
>
> I didn't stand down, she did. Which I see as a moral
> victory.

Sorry. Completely misread that. Yes, a moral victory
against the bullies. They hate us anyway, so why pussyfoot
with them?

--
Rob

Please keep conversations in the newsgroup so that all may
contribute and benefit.

> Give way to her. She would not have even seen you so
> wouldn't be bad mouthing 'cyclists' to everyone at work
> right now and you could take the moral high ground by bad
> mouthing ignorant cagers who don't give a toss about the
> H/C or cyclists.

She saw me alright. And still headed into the pinch point
(which I was already in!). This is what annoyed me. When I
can see that I have not been noticed (this happens a lot
here), then I give way.

Simonb wrote:

>>I do not think common sense prevailed for any party, just
>>another example
>
> of
>
>>bloody mindedness for all of you, this kind of thing is
>>immature and just creates bad blood between different
>>classes of road user.
>

> So what should I have done?

Use the cycle path.

It's not the other road users fault if the cycle path is
deficient in some way. Use it, and complain about it to
someone who may listen (if you can find someone).

--
Chris

> Use the cycle path.

I stated earlier why I won't use the cycle path. It's too
convoluted to get on and off it.

> It's not the other road users fault if the cycle path is
> deficient in some way.

But it was her fault she was unable to follow the rules of
the road. I had right of way and she knew that (it is very
clearly signed).

> Use it, and complain about it to someone who may listen

Fat chance.

"Simonb" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> > Give way to her. She would not have even seen you so
> > wouldn't be bad mouthing 'cyclists' to everyone at work
> > right now and you could take the moral high ground by
> > bad mouthing ignorant cagers who don't give a toss about
> > the H/C or cyclists.
>
> She saw me alright. And still headed into the pinch point
> (which I was already in!). This is what annoyed me. When I
> can see that I have not been noticed (this happens a lot
> here), then I give way.
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Statistically speaking you have a chance of less than 1 in
25,000 of this happening, therefore it should not have
happened, therefore it didn't happen, therefore you have no
cause for complaint.

Your actual observation of what actually happens in actual
fact is therefore wrong.
--
Mark South Citizen of the World, Denizen of the Net <<Tiens!
Ce poulet a une grenade!

"Simonb" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> > I do not think common sense prevailed for any party,
> > just another
example
> of
> > bloody mindedness for all of you, this kind of thing is
> > immature and
just
> > creates bad blood between different classes of
> > road user.
>
> So what should I have done?

write to the council pointing out that their cycle
"farcilities" are dangerous, and they should provide for
cyclists properly.

"Succorso" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Simonb wrote:
>
> >>I do not think common sense prevailed for any party,
> >>just another
example

> > of
> >
> >>bloody mindedness for all of you, this kind of thing is
> >>immature and
just
> >>creates bad blood between different classes of
> >>road user.
> >

> > So what should I have done?
> >

> Use the cycle path.

Absolutely not! There is no way that you should be obliged
or feel obliged to use cycle "farcilities" if they are more
dangerous than using the road, sadly all to often the case.

> It's not the other road users fault if the cycle path is
> deficient in some way. Use it, and complain about it to
> someone who may listen (if you can find someone).
>
> --
> Chris

>> Use the cycle path.
>
> Absolutely not! There is no way that you should be
> obliged or feel obliged to use cycle "farcilities" if
> they are more dangerous than using the road, sadly all to
> often the case.

Or merely more inconvenient. Lets face it, most of us travel
at 20mph - that's too fast for most cyclepaths, and plenty
fast enough for the road. IMO most cyclepaths are designed
more for the trundlies.

"Simonb" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> I was involved in an impasse this morning at a pinch poit
> where I had
right
> of way, along this stretch, 2 pinch points have ROW and
> one No ROW.
snip

Should have pointed out to her at the start of the standoff
that cycle paths are neither compulsory nor convienient and
that bicycles have the same status as any other road vehicle
and that you had right of way. Then given way, which would
have left you and cyclists in a better light.

KC

"Simonb" writes:

> I was involved in an impasse this morning at a pinch point
> where I had right of way ...

I think you acted with great self restraint. I would have smashed in her headlights with my D-lock.

N. Lenderby (Mrs)

Reply to Simonb

What I've done in a couple of situations a bit like that is:
point at the big clear bleeding-obvious road sign, mime
exaggerated applause *or* finger-wagging, and generously
wave them through with a huge grin. Makes me feel better,
makes them look [and if they are capable of feeling, feel]
like a tw@t, and has even on occasion resulted in positive
feedback from the motorist behind. As ever, YMMV though.

--
Mark, UK. We hope to hear him swear, we love to hear him
squeak, We like to see him biting fingers in his horny beak.

On Wed, 28 Apr 2004 09:36:00 +0100, "Simonb"
<[email protected]> wrote:

>I was involved in an impasse this morning at a pinch poit
>where I had right of way, along this stretch, ... If anyone
>cares, it is the stretch of road that runs along Weston
>Shore in Southampton (Weston Parade): <url:http://www.stre-
>etmap.co.uk/newmap.srf?x=444750&y=109750&z=1&sv=444750,1
>09750&st=4&ar=N&mapp=newmap.srf&searchp=newsearch.srf>

Well done that man. Perhaps in amongst all of her whining,
someone else will make her aware of the concept of 'give
way' lines.

By the way, despite living closee to that area, last time I
went that way it was a wide straight road.

What happened and when?