Impasse

On Wed, 28 Apr 2004 13:45:08 +0100, "RBSG Engineers"
<[email protected]> wrote:

>Should have pointed out to her at the start of the standoff
>that cycle paths are neither compulsory nor convienient and
>that bicycles have the same status as any other road
>vehicle and that you had right of way. Then given way,
>which would have left you and cyclists in a better light.

Wrong. Foreign and Commonwealth Office rules - never
apologise, never retract, never explain.

Sit it out. State that you have ROW. Wait. Roll *** / fill
pipe / read newspaper / pick nose.

On Wed, 28 Apr 2004 10:47:37 +0100, Succorso <[email protected]>
wrote:

>Use the cycle path.
>
>It's not the other road users fault if the cycle path is
>deficient in some way. Use it, and complain about it to
>someone who may listen (if you can find someone).

Mandatory use of cyclepaths is not enshrined in law. Right
to use the highway is.

> Should have pointed out to her at the start of the
> standoff that cycle
paths
> are neither compulsory nor convienient and that bicycles
> have the same status as any other road vehicle and that
> you had right of way.

I did. She still wouldn't give way.

> By the way, despite living closee to that area, last time
> I went that way it was a wide straight road.
>
> What happened and when?

They put in pinch points put an end to joy riders using it
as a drag strip in the evenings -- they have the effect of
encouraging cars to speed through them regardless of non-
motorised traffic. So they put in a cycle path on the
pavement which runs along the shore. Waste of bleeding time.

On Wed, 28 Apr 2004 14:40:44 +0100, Al C-F
<[email protected]> wrote:

> On Wed, 28 Apr 2004 13:45:08 +0100, "RBSG Engineers"
> <[email protected]> wrote:
>
>> Should have pointed out to her at the start of the
>> standoff that cycle paths are neither compulsory nor
>> convienient and that bicycles have the same status as any
>> other road vehicle and that you had right of way. Then
>> given way, which would have left you and cyclists in a
>> better light.
>>

> Wrong. Foreign and Commonwealth Office rules - never
> apologise, never retract, never explain.
>
> Sit it out. State that you have ROW. Wait. Roll *** / fill
> pipe / read newspaper / pick nose.

There was a sixties' comedy film called the Seven Deadly
Sins (or somesuch) which was a series of sketches using each
of the sins. pride was illustrated by two motorists meeting
on a long narrow country lane. One in a Rolls Royce one in a
Morris Minor (or the equivalent.) One driver working class,
one upper class. Both refused to reverse. One was a member
of the AA, one of the RAC. AA and RAC men turned up and
supported their members' positions.

Perhaps we could have a modern remake, cyclist meets car
driver at pinch point. Paul Smith and Chris Juden (sp?) turn
up to support...

I can't remember how the film sketch ended.

Colin
--

"Colin Blackburn" writes:
> There was a sixties' comedy film called the Seven Deadly
> Sins (or somesuch) which was a series of sketches using
> each of the sins.

A wonderful film. "Bedazzled".

> Perhaps we could have a modern remake, cyclist meets
> car driver at pinch point. Paul Smith and Chris Juden (sp?)
> turn up to support...

"Bedazzled" was remade a few years ago, with Elizabeth Hurley in the role of George Spiggott. It was entirely lacking in the engaging charm of the original.

> I can't remember how the film sketch ended.

Neither can I!

N. Lenderby (Mrs)

news:eek:[email protected]...
> On Wed, 28 Apr 2004 14:40:44 +0100, Al C-F <aloysiu-
> [email protected]> wrote:
>
> > On Wed, 28 Apr 2004 13:45:08 +0100, "RBSG Engineers"
> > <[email protected]> wrote:
> >
> >> Should have pointed out to her at the start of the
> >> standoff that cycle paths are neither compulsory nor
> >> convienient and that bicycles have the same status as
> >> any other road vehicle and that you had right of way.
> >> Then given way, which would have left you and cyclists
> >> in a better light.
> >>

> > Wrong. Foreign and Commonwealth Office rules - never
> > apologise, never retract, never explain.
> >
> > Sit it out. State that you have ROW. Wait. Roll *** /
> > fill pipe / read newspaper / pick nose.
>
> There was a sixties' comedy film called the Seven Deadly
> Sins (or somesuch) which was a series of sketches using
> each of the sins. pride was illustrated by two motorists
> meeting on a long narrow country lane. One in a Rolls
> Royce one in a Morris Minor (or the equivalent.) One
> driver working class, one upper class. Both refused to
> reverse. One was a member of the AA, one of the RAC. AA
> and RAC men turned up and supported their members'
> positions.
>
> Perhaps we could have a modern remake, cyclist meets car
> driver at pinch point. Paul Smith and Chris Juden (sp?)
> turn up to support...
>
> I can't remember how the film sketch ended.
>
> Colin
> --

Starring Peter Cook & Dudley Moore ??...(ICBWAPA - I could
be wrong and probably am!! ;-)

On Wed, 28 Apr 2004 15:02:41 +0100, (t'other) Dave <[email protected]>
wrote:

> "Colin Blackburn" <[email protected]> wrote in
> message news:eek:[email protected]...

>> There was a sixties' comedy film called the Seven Deadly
>> Sins (or somesuch) which was a series of sketches using
>> each of the sins. pride was illustrated by two motorists
>> meeting on a long narrow country lane. One in a Rolls
>> Royce one in a Morris Minor (or the equivalent.) One
>> driver working class, one upper class. Both refused to
>> reverse. One was a member of the AA, one of the RAC. AA
>> and RAC men turned up and supported their members'
>> positions.

> Starring Peter Cook & Dudley Moore ??...(ICBWAPA - I could
> be wrong and probably am!! ;-)

ITYAW!

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0067381/

seems to have everyone in bar those two. Alfie Bass and Ian
Carmichael played the two proud drivers if the cast list is
correct. It would fit.

Colin
--

On Wed, 28 Apr 2004 14:22:51 GMT, Nora Lenderby
<[email protected]> wrote:

> "Colin Blackburn" writes:
>> There was a sixties' comedy film called the Seven Deadly
>> Sins (or somesuch) which was a series of sketches using
>> each of the sins.
>
> A wonderful film. "Bedazzled".

Completely different film, though I have seen Bedazzled
too. The one with the drivers was the Magnificient Seven
Deadly Sins.

Colin
--

"Colin Blackburn" writes:
> Completely different film, though I have seen Bedazzled
> too. The one with the drivers was the Magnificient Seven
> Deadly Sins.

Ah yes, you are right - I seem to have conflated the two. Still, you did say a sixties comedy, while "The Magnificent Seven Deadly Sins" dates from the early seventies.

N. Lenderby (Mrs)

Mark McN wrote:

> What I've done in a couple of situations a bit like that
> is: point at the big clear bleeding-obvious road sign,
> mime exaggerated applause *or* finger-wagging, and
> generously wave them through with a huge grin. Makes me
> feel better, makes them look [and if they are capable of
> feeling, feel] like a tw@t, and has even on occasion
> resulted in positive feedback from the motorist behind. As
> ever, YMMV though.

I wish I'd said that. Sadly I rarely have the presence of
mind in such situations to do anything other than shake my
fist or hurl invective at them.

--
Guy
===

Victory is ours! Down with Eric the Half A Brain!

"Simonb" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> > I do not think common sense prevailed for any party,
> > just another example
> of
> > bloody mindedness for all of you, this kind of thing is
> > immature and just creates bad blood between different
> > classes of road user.
>
> So what should I have done?

You should have been riding a trials bike so that you could
have ridden up her bonnet, across her windscreen, along her
roof, leapt onto her boot and from there to the ground. Not
only would this have avoided the impasse but it would have
guaranteed that she would have noticed you.

--
Dave...

> You should have been riding a trials bike so that you
> could have ridden up her bonnet, across her windscreen,
> along her roof, leapt onto her boot and from there to
> the ground.

That would've been supercool. Unfortunately, I have neither
the equipment, nor the aptitude.

On 28 Apr 2004 08:17:27 -0700, Dave Kahn <[email protected]> wrote:

> "Simonb" <[email protected]>
> wrote in message
> news:<[email protected]>...
>> So what should I have done?
>
> You should have been riding a trials bike so that you
> could have ridden up her bonnet, across her windscreen,
> along her roof,

...pausing only to do a rear wheel bunny-hopped
pirouette, then...

On Wed, 28 Apr 2004 15:05:02 GMT, Simon Brooke wrote:

> in message <[email protected]>,
> Succorso ('[email protected]') wrote:

>>> So what should I have done?
>>
>> Use the cycle path.
>>
>> It's not the other road users fault if the cycle path is
>> deficient in some way.
>
> So he should put his life at risk in order to prove a
> point? I think not!

I think he's capable of working out if he's putting his
life at risk.

--
Michael MacClancy Random putdown - "A modest little person,
with much to be modest about."- Winston Churchill

> So what should I have done?

give her a bollocking and whizz round. Watching two stubborn
people facing each other down would **** anyone off, esp if
you are on your way to work/school/whatever... it's no place
to debate the rights and wrongs of ech others' position.

When I used to commute by motorcycle, it became apparent how
useful a swift MX boot to the door was at pushing cars back
into the lanes they were drifting out of, particularly on
Portwood roundabout in Stockport. The driver hears a thud,
sees you and craps themselves, thinking they have hit you.
Haha! Or so I heard anyway...

bfn,

Tony B

Dave Kahn wrote:

> You should have been riding a trials bike so that you
> could have ridden up her bonnet, across her windscreen,
> along her roof, leapt onto her boot and from there to the
> ground. Not only would this have avoided the impasse but
> it would have guaranteed that she would have noticed you.

Except that whenever you try and do it in that sort of
situation your rear wheel slips and you end up munching
bonnet on the first move.

Tony

Mark McN <[email protected]> writed in
news:[email protected]:

> Reply to Simonb
>
> What I've done in a couple of situations a bit like that
> is: point at the big clear bleeding-obvious road sign,
> mime exaggerated applause *or* finger-wagging, and
> generously wave them through with a huge grin. Makes me
> feel better, makes them look [and if they are capable of
> feeling, feel] like a tw@t, and has even on occasion
> resulted in positive feedback from the motorist behind. As
> ever, YMMV though.

Having read this dilemma and tried to come up with an answer
(it's the bl**dy stupid situation that I have found myself
in), and what you have said, using humour, and, in effect,
making a fool of the driver, is probably the best solution.

Mike - Leicester

Tony B [email protected] opined the
following...
> When I used to commute by motorcycle, it became apparent
> how useful a swift MX boot to the door was at pushing cars
> back into the lanes they were drifting out of,
> particularly on Portwood roundabout in Stockport. The
> driver hears a thud, sees you and craps themselves,
> thinking they have hit you. Haha! Or so I heard anyway...

A friend suggested that where possible you should aim for
the filler cap since the bodywork here tends to be more
hollow than other parts, and thus the resounding boom inside
the car is even louder.

Jon