Import duty on PBK - how much & when?

Justin Vincent

Guest
I just received my first shipment from Pro Bike Kit in the UK... saved a
lot of money. I am wondering though just how much you can purchase
from OS without incurring import or customs duties or whatever. And how
does it work?

Much appreciated.

Justin Vincent

"Justin Vincent" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
>I just received my first shipment from Pro Bike Kit in the UK... saved a
>lot of money. I am wondering though just how much you can purchase from OS
>without incurring import or customs duties or whatever. And how does it
>work?
>
> Much appreciated.

Anything with total value under $1000. That includes the goods and the
postage fee combined.
ie. if you get a $950 pair of wheels and post is $100you will get pinged
import duty plus GST ontop of the duty and goods. See custom's web page for
a whole heap of fees.
It's cheaper to get stuff sent in separate packages now. ie one wheel per
parcel ;-)

Gemma

Gemma_k said:
It's cheaper to get stuff sent in separate packages now. ie one wheel per parcel ;-)

If you get two packages sent at the same time each with a value of say $600, customs can treat them as one shipment and charge you dues as if it was. Getting them sent a week apart or to different people at different addresses should solve that problem though.

On 24/3/06 9:59 PM, in article
[email protected], "SomeGuy"
<[email protected]> wrote:

> Gemma_k Wrote:
>> It's cheaper to get stuff sent in separate packages now. ie one wheel
>> per parcel ;-)

> If you get two packages sent at the same time each with a value of say
> $600, customs can treat them as one shipment and charge you dues as if
> it was. Getting them sent a week apart or to different people at
> different addresses should solve that problem though.

If the parcel is couriered (ie DHL, FedEx etc) then up to $250 before
customs look at it.
If the parcel is airmailed (ie: via normal post) then a value of up to $1000
before customs look at it.

But check the customs website. May have changed.

http://www.customs.gov.au/site/page.cfm?u=4273

And

http://www.customs.gov.au/site/page.cfm?u=4368

Good luck

In article <C04BFEEE.1A5A3%[email protected]>,
PussnBoots <[email protected]> wrote:

> If the parcel is couriered (ie DHL, FedEx etc) then up to $250 before
> customs look at it.
> If the parcel is airmailed (ie: via normal post) then a value of up to $1000
> before customs look at it.
>
> But check the customs website. May have changed.

It has. The $1000 limit applies either way now.

--
Shane Stanley