Import Taxes to Canada

Rob Armstgrong

Oct 16, 2005
I just purchased a bike from the States. Does anyone know what the duties and taxes Canada Customs will charge?

You'll have to pay GST, as far as I know there's no duty on bicycles. I've only ever got parts imported and they are duty free. You may have to pay PST as well, depending on which province you live in. Here in BC bicycles and parts are exempt from PST, last time I got something sent by FedEx they tried to charge it, so watch for that.
If you're using FedEx or UPS they'll charge you a brokerage fee, about $40 or so, for doing the paperwork. A lot for almost no work but you don't really have a choice.
If you're getting stuff sent more often and live near the border it works out cheaper to use a shipping company on the US side. I use one just over the border in Washington. I get much cheaper, or even free, shipping as it's a US address. For small stuff Canada Customs quite often just lets it go. For the more expensive stuff I just have to pay GST. The shipping company charges $5 - 10 US depending on package size, I drive down and pick it up, and save $10 by filling up with gas while I'm there .

Rob Armstgrong said:
I just purchased a bike from the States. Does anyone know what the duties and taxes Canada Customs will charge?
I'm like Eric the Red, I have a U.S. postal address at Mailbox International in Blaine and I have everything purchased in the U.S. sent to Blaine. Yes, the Canadian Customs people sometimes do not bother to collect taxes. However I wanted to purchase a new bicycle from a U.S. company and because the bike was assembled in Taiwan I was informed that the bike would be subject to a 13% duty. If the bike had been assembled in the U.S. there would no duty. I opted to purchase the bike in Canada and I know the 13% tax was in the price.

Another option for a bike is get someone to drive you over the border and ride it back.
"Are you bringing anything back with you today?"
"No, just been out for a ride" :)

They're talking about a 30% surtax now, I believe. At least, posters forewarning this are plastered all over my LBS's.

Catabolic_Jones said:
They're talking about a 30% surtax now, I believe. At least, posters forewarning this are plastered all over my LBS's.
I saw the same thing on the web page from a LBS,

SAY NO TO BICYCLE TAX

As many of you are now aware, Procycle and Raleigh, two Canadian bike manufacturers are asking Parliament to implement a 30% surtax on bikes and painted bike frames imported from Asia, which would be in addition to the 15-20 % duties already in place. They ask for this because they are losing business to imports in the big box stores like Walmart and Canadian Tire. The way the recommendation is worded, it would affect imported bicycles sold at bicycle shops up to a $700 retail level. In this day and age of high gas prices, air quality issues and increasing waist lines we encourage you oppose this tax by writing your MP or coming into the shop and signing our petition.

Goto www.casbi.ca for more information on this issue.

As a behind the scenes note, both Procycle and Raleigh, have many of their frames made in China and they paint them in Canada which allows them to avoid the existing duties and would exempt their bikes from the new proposed duties. It's games like this that have many in the industry upset with them trying to get a surtax added that would allow them to benefit from lower production costs in Asia but hurt the Canadian brands that get their whole bike made overseas.

I hope it doesn't go through but it probably will.

Yeah I read about that whole story at Brodiebikes.com. F***n jerks...

That's slimy.......
If you can't compete....don't race, but don't try to put roadblocks in place for others.
ESPECIALLY that bit about frames assembled in China but painted here not being subject but painted in China being taxed..... that's just retarded. ANYONE who wants to buy a bike should get a huge tax credit for all the good they will do. TAX FREE BIKE GEAR!!!!!!

Traffic Jammer said:
ANYONE who wants to buy a bike should get a huge tax credit for all the good they will do. TAX FREE BIKE GEAR!!!!!!
Damn straight. Tax the hell out of Chevy Suburbans, ban Ford Excursions, and give tax incentives to those on 2 wheeled glory. Man I hate Bush. lol oh wait, and Procycle. Unfortunately, Procycle owns a couple of good Canadian companies that I like....such as Devinci. How unfortunate. So angry..

Traffic Jammer said:
That's slimy.......
If you can't compete....don't race, but don't try to put roadblocks in place for others.
ESPECIALLY that bit about frames assembled in China but painted here not being subject but painted in China being taxed..... that's just retarded. ANYONE who wants to buy a bike should get a huge tax credit for all the good they will do. TAX FREE BIKE GEAR!!!!!!
From the way it's worded, it 's clear that THEY are buying frames from China and painting them here. Thus the differentiation. So let me get this straight, they want to have their cake but keep everyone else from eating theirs.

The hell with them.