Import used bike into Canada from U.S.

canuckbob

Aug 28, 2004
Anyone know if you have to pay duties on top of 7%GST for importing a used bike from the United States into Canada over eBay let's say. Do duties only apply to new items? Any information would be appreciated.

Thanks

canuckbob said:
Anyone know if you have to pay duties on top of 7%GST for importing a used bike from the United States into Canada over eBay let's say. Do duties only apply to new items? Any information would be appreciated.

Thanks
Why don't you ask the Canadian import authorities?

canuckbob said:

Thanks
No duties on used stuff. Where are you located?. If you are close to the border it is much cheaper to have it shipped to a MBE in the US and pick it up, otherwise you will get hit with brokerage fees from UPS.

SDL said:
No duties on used stuff. Where are you located?. If you are close to the border it is much cheaper to have it shipped to a MBE in the US and pick it up, otherwise you will get hit with brokerage fees from UPS.

If you get it shipped use USPS if possible, Canada Post only charges $5 to collect the GST. Fedex and UPS charge $30-40 brokerage fees.

I'll try calling the customs office tomorrow morning to verify the duties. I'm near Ottawa. The $5 brokerage fees is ok as long as I don't have to pay duties, also going to find out if I need to pay GST.

Thanks guys.

canuckbob said:
I'll try calling the customs office tomorrow morning to verify the duties. I'm near Ottawa. The $5 brokerage fees is ok as long as I don't have to pay duties, also going to find out if I need to pay GST.

Thanks guys.

In fact you may be required to pay a duty. It depends on the country of origin. Also, in some provinces, CanadaPost has been tasked with the collection of PST as well, so you might want to check with them on that.

velomane said:
In fact you may be required to pay a duty. It depends on the country of origin. Also, in some provinces, CanadaPost has been tasked with the collection of PST as well, so you might want to check with them on that.
There are no duties on used goods. Make sure the seller marks on the bill that it is used. I buy stuff from the State at least once a month and still think the best way is to pick it up (I'm in Montreal).

From Ottawa you could have it shipped to Mail boxes Etc. in Massena and they will charge you $5. When you get to the border as long as you have a bill of sale or a printout of the auction page the will charge you only GST and PST. Obviously if this is a low dollar item it is not worth the trouble, but if they ship it UPS or FEDEX you almost certainly get charged brokerage and duty.

Thanks for the info. The nearest MBE I found in the U.S. is in PLATTSBURGH, NY and it's a 3 and 1/2 hour drive, a bit too far for me. I'm getting a used Litespeed and it's made in the U.S. so cross my fingers sending it with USPS Air won't get me any duties.