Importance of chamois padded shorts

carsnoceans

Jul 24, 2010
Hi everyone

I am a clydesdale rider who is back cycling and this time with a vow to make it work. Started cycling last year but gave-up quickly due to perennial discomfort even on short rides. I just started investing/experimenting with saddles to find my fit and not give-up.

Another note, I have been reading on forums is to pick a pair of padded shorts. Although I have chaffing issues and since most my rides are going to short (5-20mi) in next few months... should I still consider investing in a pair of cycling shorts? My biggest factor for dropping biking last season was physical discomfort in groin area and I'd hate to go through that experience again.

Do the padded cycling shorts help for clydesdales riders on short rides? Or should I wait out until I start doing longer/consistent riding??

Cheers
CnO

carsnoceans said:
Hi everyone

I am a clydesdale rider who is back cycling and this time with a vow to make it work. Started cycling last year but gave-up quickly due to perennial discomfort even on short rides. I just started investing/experimenting with saddles to find my fit and not give-up.

Another note, I have been reading on forums is to pick a pair of padded shorts. Although I have chaffing issues and since most my rides are going to short (5-20mi) in next few months... should I still consider investing in a pair of cycling shorts? My biggest factor for dropping biking last season was physical discomfort in groin area and I'd hate to go through that experience again.

Do the padded cycling shorts help for clydesdales riders on short rides? Or should I wait out until I start doing longer/consistent riding??

Cheers
CnO

How much do you weigh and how tall are you?

What kind of bike are you riding?

The weight thing isn't important for wearing padded cycling shorts though, but will become important the longer you ride no matter how much you weigh. Now is a good time to buy padded shorts due to the end of season sales, try: cycling jerseys, cycling shorts, short sleeve jersey, long sleeve jersey, sleeveless jersey, cycling clothes, cycling gloves, lycra shorts, cycling socks, mountain bike shorts - Performance Bicycle

Or: Shorts/Bibs - Mens at JensonUSA.com - Your Mountain & Road Bike online parts supplier!

I like MTB shorts the best because they don't show the package bulge if you know what I mean like road racing cycling shorts; plus you can walk into stores or put stuff in the pockets if needed; and their more snag resistant.

The reason I asked the weight is because of the seat. Those narrow racing seats with the cutouts are great...however not so great for a person over 200 or so. You might want to try a recreational saddle instead of a racing saddle for comfort, at least until the weight comes down...which it will if you keep cycling...that is if you want or need the weight to come down. One very well made saddle and one that is very comfortable by other clydesdales (over 220) I've talked to is the Specialized Expedition saddle, this one seemed to be the hands down favorite by almost everyone. Serfas makes one that is similar for about the same $ but the outside material is not as tough as the Specialized.

See: Specialized Bicycle Components : Expedition Saddle

There is also the option of padded underwear. Essentially a base layer with a chamois built in. That way you wear it under whatever clothes you already have.

I do find they help the comfort of even shorter rides.

Froze said:
How much do you weigh and how tall are you?

What kind of bike are you riding?

The weight thing isn't important for wearing padded cycling shorts though, but will become important the longer you ride no matter how much you weigh. Now is a good time to buy padded shorts due to the end of season sales, try: cycling jerseys, cycling shorts, short sleeve jersey, long sleeve jersey, sleeveless jersey, cycling clothes, cycling gloves, lycra shorts, cycling socks, mountain bike shorts - Performance Bicycle

Or: Shorts/Bibs - Mens at JensonUSA.com - Your Mountain & Road Bike online parts supplier!

I like MTB shorts the best because they don't show the package bulge if you know what I mean like road racing cycling shorts; plus you can walk into stores or put stuff in the pockets if needed; and their more snag resistant.

The reason I asked the weight is because of the seat. Those narrow racing seats with the cutouts are great...however not so great for a person over 200 or so. You might want to try a recreational saddle instead of a racing saddle for comfort, at least until the weight comes down...which it will if you keep cycling...that is if you want or need the weight to come down. One very well made saddle and one that is very comfortable by other clydesdales (over 220) I've talked to is the Specialized Expedition saddle, this one seemed to be the hands down favorite by almost everyone. Serfas makes one that is similar for about the same $ but the outside material is not as tough as the Specialized.

See: Specialized Bicycle Components : Expedition Saddle

Thanks Froze.

I am 6' 0" and 225lbs. Riding a Trek 7.2 FX (hybrid bike) and keeping seat almost at height of handle bar or couple of inches lower. As for saddle, just put on a Standard B17 Imperial saddle yesterday, Although its a saddle with cutout, I thought its not really that narrow or race style. Hopefully this information is more complete.

carsnoceans said:
Thanks Froze.

I am 6' 0" and 225lbs. Riding a Trek 7.2 FX (hybrid bike) and keeping seat almost at height of handle bar or couple of inches lower. As for saddle, just put on a Standard B17 Imperial saddle yesterday, Although its a saddle with cutout, I thought its not really that narrow or race style. Hopefully this information is more complete.

That's a great saddle and will hold up to your weight and last at least 20 years when all padded saddles will only last 1 to 3 years.

The treatment of that saddle should be followed to the letter of the instructions given and not those of someone else claiming they know a lot. If you do that the saddle will last at least 20 years. Here is a detailed web page on the care of a Brooks saddle: Proofide The only thing I would add to this is to apply a thin layer of neutral Kiwi shoe paste wax-not the liquid or cream. And apply and buff like you would a shoe except don't use a brush. Kiwi shoe wax should be applied AFTER you applied the first application of Proofide and it has dried and been buffed. Kiwi Wax will help protect the saddle for rain better then any other product without damaging the leather. You should though buy a saddle cover to make sure it doesn't get wet if you should be caught riding in the rain.

That saddle will take about 300 miles to break in, once that happens you need to adjust the tensioner towards tightening the saddle no more then 1/4th of a turn. That should be the last adjustment you will have to make on that saddle for 6 to 10 years and maybe longer; and when that time comes to retension the saddle only a 1/4th of a turn is all that's needed.

By the way, when you do reapply the Proofide only do so once a year and apply it sparingly, then reapply the Kiwi Wax too.

Froze said:
That's a great saddle and will hold up to your weight and last at least 20 years when all padded saddles will only last 1 to 3 years.

The treatment of that saddle should be followed to the letter of the instructions given and not those of someone else claiming they know a lot. If you do that the saddle will last at least 20 years. Here is a detailed web page on the care of a Brooks saddle: Proofide The only thing I would add to this is to apply a thin layer of neutral Kiwi shoe paste wax-not the liquid or cream. And apply and buff like you would a shoe except don't use a brush. Kiwi shoe wax should be applied AFTER you applied the first application of Proofide and it has dried and been buffed. Kiwi Wax will help protect the saddle for rain better then any other product without damaging the leather. You should though buy a saddle cover to make sure it doesn't get wet if you should be caught riding in the rain.

That saddle will take about 300 miles to break in, once that happens you need to adjust the tensioner towards tightening the saddle no more then 1/4th of a turn. That should be the last adjustment you will have to make on that saddle for 6 to 10 years and maybe longer; and when that time comes to retension the saddle only a 1/4th of a turn is all that's needed.

By the way, when you do reapply the Proofide only do so once a year and apply it sparingly, then reapply the Kiwi Wax too.

Thanks for good info Froze. I will keep this all for taking care of the saddle. My seatpost is easy adjust (with a little clip) so i can take it off and keep the saddle inside to protect from rain/sun.

Do you hav e any recommendations on MTB shorts? I could wear lycra shorts but then would have to wear regular shorts on top. They wont look nice on a large frame like mine. Anything in a moderate price range would do... I will be willing to spend more money on a nicer brand if I can keep myself dedicated for atleast 6months.

PS - What is the general opinion on bib shorts around here? I could wear them under regular pair of shorts and t-shirt and it would do the job for me.

To give a direct answer to your original question of whether padded shorts are worthwhile the answer is OH GOD YES.

One of my buddy wears both MTB shorts and the standard road cycling shorts. The opinion he expressed to me is that the road bike shorts are slightly more comfortable, but for shorter rides he'll wear the MTB shorts so he feels less naked. When I first got into cycling earlier this year I was told that you just need to swallow your pride and wear them.

The short thing is a personal opinion, I personally find the MTB shorts to be as comfortable as road shorts, I can't tell any difference, I have both types. I prefer the MTB shorts because they don't give you that naked look, but if your single you may want the naked look so when you go into a store, or stop at a light, women in the store or in the car next to you can stare and admire your parts!

Actually I find MTB shorts to last longer too. The lycra road bike shorts snag occasionally.

In that vein, no pun intended, I now wear mostly $12 Walmart white 100% jerseys because they work just as good as my $80 bike boutique brands 100% polyester. I also like loose fitting jerseys when it's hot because the air can get into the jersey better and I feel cooler then I do with a tight fitting jersey. Regardless of tight or loose fitting jersey cheap Walmart stuff works just as good as expensive ones; the cheap ones don't come with a rear pocket.

carsnoceans said:
Hi everyone

Cheers
CnO

Some good advise has been given to you so I can only add personal experience. I use to be very avid about cycling logging over 500 miles a week. Family and kids kinda caught up with me so slowly cycling declined. Not that I have pick up cycling again and a lot of weight (sitting at 270 now) I found that a good pair of cycling shorts with padding was a must. The first ride after getting back on to the bike was short because of the pain. I only had a regular pair of shorts on. I went out and purchased a pair of Pearl Izumi Elite spandex shorts and also a pair of Pearl Izumi MTB Shorts. Wow what a difference.

As you get more time on the saddle you will toughen up and the discomfort will decrease significantly.

Mike

mdphoto said:
Some good advise has been given to you so I can only add personal experience. I use to be very avid about cycling logging over 500 miles a week. Family and kids kinda caught up with me so slowly cycling declined. Not that I have pick up cycling again and a lot of weight (sitting at 270 now) I found that a good pair of cycling shorts with padding was a must. The first ride after getting back on to the bike was short because of the pain. I only had a regular pair of shorts on. I went out and purchased a pair of Pearl Izumi Elite spandex shorts and also a pair of Pearl Izumi MTB Shorts. Wow what a difference.

As you get more time on the saddle you will toughen up and the discomfort will decrease significantly.

Mike

Thanks everyone for the good words. Its been good education and now I need to put this in effect. :) Spoke a to co-coworker today (triathlete, century rider..) and strongly suggested padded shorts, clipless pedals and decent shoes. Although I am not sure how much use will I get out of clipless pedals as a newbie and on a hybrid bike.

I don't think my physique permits lycras shorts at the moment... perhaps minus 50lbs :D. That being said, I will look into some padded bike shorts or bibs to wear under normal garments. Any recommendations?

carsnoceans said:
Hi everyone

Cheers
CnO

From my experience you are just going to have to accept that as your weight drops your fitness will increase and the distance you ride will also increase. But for all this to happen you need to make cycling fun. It won't be fun unless you are comfortable. As that happens you are going to have to change clothing and other gear.

In my case I went through a couple saddles and a couple pairs of lycra bike shorts, good shorts, not cheapies. These were just a part of the expense of cycling. Much the same as athletic gear for any other sport.

Yes, good shorts with excellent chamois built in is critical. In fact, if you are like me you will find that you will NEED better shorts now than later when you weigh less and you are more competent on the bike.

Also, don't hesitate to swap saddles. I chose not to buy expensive saddles at the start. Nor, did I want any of the leather saddles that required break in. When I looked around me no one else was riding them either except for a certain niche group. Fine for them. Not fine for the beginner. Instead I got reasonably priced saddles and swapped, each time with a professional fit, until I found one that worked for me.

From my experience make it fun and as comfortable as you can and you'll stick with it and be a happier, healthier cyclist. It worked for me.

carsnoceans said:
I don't think my physique permits lycras shorts at the moment... perhaps minus 50lbs
I roll at 5'9" 220 lbs, and I look fine in my bike shorts (I'm not saying that I'm the hottest thing on two wheels, just that I don't have Greenpeace showing up to try to roll me back into the ocean).

What brands work best? I think that was one of your questions.

Lots of good brands. But it seems what fits best is highly personal and changes as the body changes. What fits good now is different than lots of pounds ago. Sugoi, the REI house brand,and Pearl Izumi are all good.

The chamois mainly does two things: Conduct moisture away from the body and reduce chafing pain. Sit bone pain likely won't go away until you have a few 300 mile plus months and you have accomodated to riding.

Bottom Line :) You likely are in for some major changes. Excellent shorts are essential tools along the way. Exactly which brand/models is very personal and figured out by experimenting. The same advise applies to saddles.

Sugoi isn't an REI house brand. It is its own, separate brand and is based in Canada. REI just happens to sell Sugoi.

Guess the punctuation wasn't enough to make it clear that I was specifying different brands.

Of course Sugoi isn't the REI house brand.

Chavez said:
I roll at 5'9" 220 lbs, and I look fine in my bike shorts (I'm not saying that I'm the hottest thing on two wheels, just that I don't have Greenpeace showing up to try to roll me back into the ocean).

:D:D:D

If you don't mind I am going use this as my signature for the rest of my life.

Jump in get good shorts, buy the best you can afford avoid buying cheap shorts which will not last and can cause discomfort due to poor seams etc. If your serious get bib type shorts, keeps your back covered and sit better, wear mountain bike outer shorts over them if your modest. Try looking for Assos or Giordana shorts but beware European (especially Italian shorts) can be a bit smaller than what your used to. Also chamois cream would help a lot on longer rides.

Pearl Izumi shorts, in my experience, are both good quality and very comfortable. Their 3D and 4D chamois are really comfortable and you don't need to faff around with chamois cream, even on your longest rides.

I started using the PI stuff when I got back on the bike after 10 years of beer drinking and bbq - at a rather stout ~228lbs. At a less rotund 166lbs, I still use Pearl Izumi's shorts, just in a slightly smaller size.

They make both 'road bike' style shorts (regular and bib) as well as more casual looking MTB shorts. Although it seems like an expensive "investment" a really good pair of shorts (and shoes) is, IMHO, more important than a flashy bike. All that carbon and fancy componentry isn't worth jack unless your nether regions are comfy and you're sitting pretty on the bike. Suffer 'down there' and you won't be going fast or having fun even on Cancellara's bike...