Important Day to Support Arrested Cyclists and Free Speech

Discussion in 'rec.bicycles.rides' started by [email protected], Feb 7, 2006.

  1. From: Jym Dyer <jym (a) econet dot org>

    [The following is an adapted/updated version of a letter from
    Jamie Rollins of the Freewheels Bicycle Defense Fund. The
    issues involved go well beyond bicycle defense, though.]

    As many of you know, the New York City police have been
    continually harassing the monthly Critical Mass bike riders
    ever since the 2004 Republican National Convention. In that
    time, over 300 bicyclists have been arrested.

    In the last couple of months, the trials for those who have
    chosen to fight the charges have finally been going to court.

    On January 10th, the decision was passed down in the case of
    those who were arrested on January 28, 2005, which includes
    8 cyclists. The results were very encouraging. Judge Gerald
    Harris ruled that the "parading without a permit" law is
    unconstitutional, and the parading charges were thrown out.

    The importance of this ruling can not be understated. The
    police have long used the anti-parading law to arrest and
    prosecute protesters across the country. If Judge Harris's
    ruling is upheld, it would deny the police and those who seek
    to suppress free speech a means of achieving their ends.

    However, the fight is not over. Predictably, the city has
    decided to appeal the judge's ruling. And if we don't now fight
    the appeal, the ruling will automatically be overturned, and all
    of our efforts will have been for naught.

    The February arrestees have joined forces with this January
    group, but in order to fight the appeal, we desperately need
    more funds. To those of you who have donated to our cause in
    the past, we are deeply grateful. But we still need help.

    ***Fighting the appeal will cost $10000, and we need to raise
    this money by February 8th, which is fast approaching.***

    For this reason, our solicitation is very urgent. Any help you
    can provide is very much appreciated. The best way to donate
    to this is through the Freewheels Bicycle Defense Fund, an
    organization expressly committed to helping those who have been
    arrested riding their bikes:

    http://bicycledefensefund.org/donate.html

    Apart from monetary donations for the appeal, we are also
    looking for letters of support for our sentencing on February
    14. These should be pleas for leniency, pointing out the good
    character of those arrested, the lack of danger they pose to the
    city, the fact that they are actually First Amendment heroes,
    etc. These should be addressed to City Criminal Court Judge
    Gerald Harris, and sent to our esteemed lawyer Gideon Oliver at
    the following address:

    Gideon Orion Oliver, Esq.
    Oliver & Oliver
    Attorneys at Law
    200 East 10th Street #917
    New York, New York 10003-7702

    Lastly, *please forward* this solicitation to anyone you know
    or think takes an interest in free speech, transportation and
    environmental issues, and/or rights of the citizen. We need as
    much help as we can get. Thank you very much for your support.

    You can learn more about our concerns, and become involved, at
    Freewheels:

    http://bicycledefensefund.org/

    Other Links
    ~~~~~~~~~~~
    Village Voice article:
    http://www.villagevoice.com/blogs/powerplays/archives/002313.php

    World Carfree Network:
    http://www.worldcarfree.net/nyc/index.php

    TIME'S UP! is fighting a longer-term lawsuit:
    http://www.times-up.org/legal_newswire.php

    Tags:

  2. Correct me if I'm wrong, but if I understand correctly, "free speech" to
    Critical Mass means blocking roads by occupying the entire roadway and then
    riding very slowly. If that is correct, Critical Mass does not have my
    sympathy.

    <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
> [...]
    >
    > Gideon Orion Oliver, Esq.
    > Oliver & Oliver
    > Attorneys at Law
    > 200 East 10th Street #917
    > New York, New York 10003-7702
    >
    > Lastly, *please forward* this solicitation to anyone you know
    > or think takes an interest in free speech, transportation and
    > environmental issues, and/or rights of the citizen. We need as
    > much help as we can get. Thank you very much for your support.
    >
    > You can learn more about our concerns, and become involved, at
    > Freewheels:
    >
    > http://bicycledefensefund.org/
    >
    > Other Links
    > ~~~~~~~~~~~
    > Village Voice article:
    > http://www.villagevoice.com/blogs/powerplays/archives/002313.php
    >
    > World Carfree Network:
    > http://www.worldcarfree.net/nyc/index.php
    >
    > TIME'S UP! is fighting a longer-term lawsuit:

  3. Weezel

    Weezel Guest

    On Wed, 08 Feb 2006 04:03:41 GMT, "Ron Wallenfang"
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    >Correct me if I'm wrong, but if I understand correctly, "free speech" to
    >Critical Mass means blocking roads by occupying the entire roadway and then
    >riding very slowly. If that is correct, Critical Mass does not have my
    >sympathy.

    God Ron,

    You are such a fuddy duddy!

    It's called nonviolent dissent!

    Your Friend,

    Weezel

  4. Matt O'Toole

    Matt O'Toole Guest

    On Wed, 08 Feb 2006 04:03:41 +0000, Ron Wallenfang wrote:

    > Correct me if I'm wrong, but if I understand correctly, "free speech" to
    > Critical Mass means blocking roads by occupying the entire roadway and
    > then riding very slowly. If that is correct, Critical Mass does not have
    > my sympathy.

    CM is the equivalent of a junior high school cafeteria food fight. The
    participants may enjoy it, but the results are predictably the same.

    I can see the principal now:

    "Young man, if you don't shape up, you'll be working at Starbucks when
    you're 40!"

    Matt O.

  5. Using the entire roadway: Only if you have enough riders to require it
    Riding very slowly: Not as slowly as possible. Not racing. Usually
    about 10-12 mph but trying not to lose the slow riders.