Importing a bike from Italy

On 2006-03-18, Travis <[email protected]> wrote:
> Bleve wrote:
>> that fits, than an LBS will do a fit for you and set up for you, with

> I've been fit to a similar bike in an LBS, its definitely my size. If
> I have to invest in a new handlebar stem or something I will, its not a
> big deal.

I have a definite problem with this. From where I stand, part of the
service that the LBS does is to help you choose something that's the
right size, and appropriate for your needs. To go get fitted out for
something, whether it's a bike, jacket, scuba gear, or something else,
and then go out and buy the goods off the Internet smacks of taking
advantage.

I might be misunderstanding the situation, of course; this is just my
initial reaction to what I saw here.

> Its a Trek Madone SL 5.9, and its going so cheaply I could afford a new
> groupset etc and have plenty of money left over. The frame is in
> perfect condition. I will, of course, pay via an escrow service (e.g.
> www.escrow.com) in order to protect myself against fraud to ensure my
> money isn't just funnelled off to Nigeria.

As long as the escrow service is a reputable one. There have been cases
of scamsters setting up fraudulent escrow services; use one of those,
and you might as well just wire the money straight to the seller.

I have definite issues with some of the services eBay pushes (like
trying to push sellers to accept PayPal, when I definitely *don't* want
to do so), but when it comes to escrow, I'd be thinking very long and
hard about using an escrow service other than ones recommended by eBay
for exactly this reason.

Travis wrote:

> Do bikes bought in China (assuming they aren't forgeries) also come
> with the lifetime warranty?

Cannondales & Treks honour their warranty to the original purchaser
world-wide.

I don't know about other brands in this context.

Bleve:
>Cannondales & Treks honour their warranty to the original purchaser world-wide.

That may be, but in my experience you can run foul of the local
distributor. That person won't be too keen on doing warranty work for
you and might offer to send it to the head office for the work to be
done. Not good, if that's Italy! You might win the argument, but it
might take a lawyer's letter and some cost and time.

Donga

Stuart Lamble wrote:
> On 2006-03-18, Travis <[email protected]> wrote:
> > Bleve wrote:
> >> that fits, than an LBS will do a fit for you and set up for you, with

> > I've been fit to a similar bike in an LBS, its definitely my size. If
> > I have to invest in a new handlebar stem or something I will, its not a
> > big deal.

> I have a definite problem with this. From where I stand, part of the
> service that the LBS does is to help you choose something that's the
> right size, and appropriate for your needs. To go get fitted out for
> something, whether it's a bike, jacket, scuba gear, or something else,
> and then go out and buy the goods off the Internet smacks of taking
> advantage.

I've been going around looking at bikes and have had a test ride on a
Trek. Without going into any high end time consuming fitting
procedures the LBS guys have looked at me and said "I'd say you'd be a
size 60, we've got one right over there you can have a look at".

Its not my intention to waste any LBS's time, and I've been a good
customer of my LBS anyway by buying a bunch of stuff off them (tires
and tubes, slime tube liners, biddon cages as well as having my bike
serviced).

The LBS knows what I'm up to with ebay and while obviously they'd
rather sell me a new bike, they do know that I'm being fairly "loyal"
with buying bits and pieces and having my bike serviced through them.
That said, I don't believe I owe them a living.

Travis

On 2006-03-20, Travis <[email protected]> wrote:
> The LBS knows what I'm up to with ebay and while obviously they'd
> rather sell me a new bike, they do know that I'm being fairly "loyal"
> with buying bits and pieces and having my bike serviced through them.
> That said, I don't believe I owe them a living.

Ah, that's a different kettle of fish entirely. If they know what's
going on, no hassles. It's when people take advantage that I start to
feel they're on ethically shaky ground.

Example: the owner of the dive shop I frequent had a guy come in to try
on a $1300 piece of gear (a buoyancy compensator). Said guy then went
off and bought it on the 'net. When he next came in, the owner said,
"You'd be here for the BC, then?" Answer: "No, I bought it on the
Internet. Can I try on a wetsuit?"

He got an earful, and I can't say I disagree with the shop owner in this
instance.

Hi Travis.

I have actually been enjoying reading about your indecisive,
circuitious route through teh wide world of cycling. I must admit to
thinking on the odd occasion, "Just buy one dude!!!!!!" - but I too am
an indecisive buyer so I can relate as well!!

Just something to remember re: your "buy it in Singers/Beijing" plan.
Customs will hit you up with duty/GST on anything bought o/s & brought
back as passenger baggage. If the cost is over $1000, you will be hit
up for 10% GST (and some duty too, not sure of the rate) on the ENTIRE
purchase price (you don't get the first thousand free or anything).
Plus, your better half will be charged duty/GST on ANY shopping she
does o/s (and any duty or tax free shopping she did in Aus beforehand.

Similar rules apply if it is sent back via post or sea/air cargo - 10%
GST + any duty if the value is over $1000 (calculated on the whole
amount). As an aside, shipments UNDER $1000 are let through as free of
duty/GST (but that is less than $1000 for the complete shipment, and
shipping/postage is included when adding it up...).

Hope that helps you with your (in)decision!!

Cheers & good luck!!
Abby

Travis wrote:
> has anyone had any experiences with importing a second hand bike from
> overseas (e.g. Europe)?
>
> What were the costs, how long did it take, was it a complicated
> procedure and would you ever do it again?
>
> Travis

Have a look at the items for sale at
http://www.triwa.org.au/discus/index.html down the bottom there are a
couple of 60 / 61 bikes in there, and over your part of the world so you
can actually see them and test ride if you choose.

In fact have a look at the websites of any local Cycling or Triathlon
clubs as they often have a For Sale section.

Also have a look at
http://forums.transitions.org.au/index.php?showforum=3 they often have
road bikes there.

If it is your first decent bike, and you are getting a second hand one,
you'd really want to see it 'in the flesh', also I would guess that many
second hand bike prices would be highly negotiable.

jh