Importing a frame

Discussion in 'UK and Europe' started by patpending, Oct 6, 2004.

1. patpending

patpending New Member

Hi everyone.
    I'm wondering if anyone has experience or advice about importing a frame or bike for personal use from the US. Is all the customs stuff a nightmare? How do you go about it? Its a Habanero frame I'm thinking of.
    Thanks

Tags:

2. vnoone

vnoone New Member

dont quote me & from memory ...
    my friend from NZ imported a US bike to the UK then took it home to NZ and he did have to pay tax in the UK cause it was new but was able to claim it back when he went home to NZ a few months later.

But if you can get a friend to ship it over (or collect it yourself) then it wont be "new" and just say youve had it for ages. otherwise if they (customs) open it and see its a brand new bike then youll prob have to pay something.

Maybe ask the shop or whoever is sending it to re-package it or put a note with it - like happy birthday nephew, and send the invoice separately. Gifts shouldnt be liable for tax.

Would love to know how you get on thou. Always an interesting one.

3. dooley

dooley New Member

Have a word with the shop you're ordering from. I've ordered quite a bit of stuff from the states and never had a problem with customs, they usually mark it warranty replacement or decrease the value by quite a large amount. Never ordered anything as big as a frame though...

4. synergyms

synergyms New Member

If you guys can figure out, I would really appreciate with you could PM me. I am looking at exporting frames, wheels and more from Singapore. without VAT and shipping, you wont believe the prices of some stuff over here.

PM or email me if we can work something out!