Importing Bikes

Discussion in 'Mountain Bikes' started by Watimena, Feb 7, 2003.

  1. Watimena

    Watimena Guest

    Anyone imported a bike to Australia b4? I am thinking of importing one from the US and need some
    advice. Seems like you can save a lot of money for a little of leg work. The exchange rates not too
    savage a the moment as well.

    I had a look the customs website, but it wasn't very specific......

    Jeremy

    Tags:

  2. Bomba

    Bomba Guest

    Watimena wrote:
    > Anyone imported a bike to Australia b4? I am thinking of importing one from the US and need some
    > advice. Seems like you can save a lot of money for a little of leg work. The exchange rates not
    > too savage a the moment as well.

    (UK experience) The reality is much harder than the dream. The big one is import tax. You'll get
    screwed, making the savings nowhere near as attractive. I paid something like 33% when I brought a
    bike in from the US. It still worked out cheaper, but if I'd had a problem with it, I would have
    been shafted.

    If you're not too worried about the warranty aspect, then your best bet is to work out a way of
    getting it back in the country without paying the duty, or paying a much lower level of duty. To do
    this, you really need to travel to the US, and there are some tricks that you can employ. Obviously,
    this leaves you open to criminal prosecution - but only if you get caught :)

    Basically, depending on the amount you're planning on spending, you can set aside the Aussie
    money you'd pay for your bike, get the bike and take in a nice week or two's holiday in the US
    with the change.

  3. Mark Hickey

    Mark Hickey Guest

    bomba <[email protected]> wrote:

    >If you're not too worried about the warranty aspect, then your best bet is to work out a way of
    >getting it back in the country without paying the duty, or paying a much lower level of duty. To do
    >this, you really need to travel to the US, and there are some tricks that you can employ.
    >Obviously, this leaves you open to criminal prosecution - but only if you get caught :)
    >
    >Basically, depending on the amount you're planning on spending, you can set aside the Aussie
    >money you'd pay for your bike, get the bike and take in a nice week or two's holiday in the US
    >with the change.

    I've had customers from the UK do just this. One pair of riders flew to Florida, picked up their
    bikes, flew to Moab and spent a week - claiming that the whole thing cost only a little more than
    shippng the bikes directly to the UK and paying taxes and duty.

    Apparently there isn't any tax or duty associated with bringing your "used bike" back from vacation.
    And with the US $ dropping against most other currencies, it may be a good time to plan a trip
    across the pond (whichever pond that may be).

  4. Bomba

    Bomba Guest

    Mark Hickey wrote:

    > I've had customers from the UK do just this. One pair of riders flew to Florida, picked up their
    > bikes, flew to Moab and spent a week - claiming that the whole thing cost only a little more than
    > shippng the bikes directly to the UK and paying taxes and duty.
    >
    > Apparently there isn't any tax or duty associated with bringing your "used bike" back from
    > vacation. And with the US $ dropping against most other currencies, it may be a good time to plan
    > a trip across the pond (whichever pond that may be).

    I'm thinking this is the way I'm going to go, for my 'bike-after-next'.

  5. Carla A-G

    Carla A-G Guest

    > Apparently there isn't any tax or duty associated with bringing your "used bike" back from
    > vacation. And with the US $ dropping against most other currencies, it may be a good time to plan
    > a trip across the pond (whichever pond that may be).

    Bzzzt. When I lived back in Canada, I had my bike shipped from the US after a vacation. They held it
    hostage until I paid about $350 in taxes to get it back. Then I spent the next 3 months fighting
    with Customs to prove that it was my own personal used bike that I had taken on vacation and not a
    new bike purchase so I could get my money back. What a frickin' experience...

    - CA-G

    Canadian Girls Kick Ass!

  6. Bomba

    Bomba Guest

    Carla A-G wrote:

    >>Apparently there isn't any tax or duty associated with bringing your "used bike" back from
    >>vacation. And with the US $ dropping against most other currencies, it may be a good time to plan
    >>a trip across the pond (whichever pond that may be).
    >

    > Bzzzt. When I lived back in Canada, I had my bike shipped from the US after a vacation. They held
    > it hostage until I paid about $350 in taxes to get it back. Then I spent the next 3 months
    > fighting with Customs to prove that it was my own personal used bike that I had taken on vacation
    > and not a new bike purchase so I could get my money back. What a frickin' experience...

    Yeah, but you had the bike 'shipped', which is going to arouse suspicions. Travel on holiday with
    your bike, travel back with the bike and have no problems.

  7. Carla A-G

    Carla A-G Guest

    > > Bzzzt. When I lived back in Canada, I had my bike shipped from the US
    after
    > > a vacation. They held it hostage until I paid about $350 in taxes to get
    it
    > > back. Then I spent the next 3 months fighting with Customs to prove that
    it
    > > was my own personal used bike that I had taken on vacation and not a new bike purchase so I
    > > could get my money back. What a frickin'
    experience...

    > Yeah, but you had the bike 'shipped', which is going to arouse suspicions. Travel on holiday with
    > your bike, travel back with the bike and have no problems.

    Well, I took it with me on the flight and had it shipped back to me on my return. I had proof that
    it was my bike that I had originally taken with me.

    But its true, I have travelled and brought along my bike and have not had problems, other than
    trying to lie about it and trying to claim its a musical instrument so that I wouldn't have to pay
    the exhorbitant airline fees (the lie didn't work)...

    - CA-G

    Canadian Girls Kick Ass!

  8. Trentus

    Trentus Guest

    > But its true, I have travelled and brought along my bike and have not had problems, other than
    > trying to lie about it and trying to claim its a musical instrument so that I wouldn't have to pay
    > the exhorbitant airline fees (the lie didn't work)...

    Why on earth not?

    The sound of tyres on dirt is MUSIC to my ears. This music can be altered by how hard you
    corner, etc. so the "music" could, in theory, be "played" And the wind through the frame makes
    it a wind instrument. (Though when you crash one it becomes a percussion instrument, and makes
    horrible music.)

    Trentus

  9. Carla A-G

    Carla A-G Guest

    "Trentus" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:pS11a.43130$jM[email protected]...
    > > But its true, I have travelled and brought along my bike and have not
    had
    > > problems, other than trying to lie about it and trying to claim its a musical instrument so that
    > > I wouldn't have to pay the exhorbitant
    airline
    > > fees (the lie didn't work)...
    >
    > Why on earth not?
    >
    > The sound of tyres on dirt is MUSIC to my ears. This music can be altered by how hard you corner,
    > etc. so the "music"
    could,
    > in theory, be "played" And the wind through the frame makes it a wind instrument. (Though when you
    > crash one it becomes a percussion instrument, and makes horrible music.)

    I don't think they would fall for that one either...

    - CA-G

    Canadian Girls Kick Ass!