Importing parts from the USA?

Duncan Smith

Guest
This could just as easily be a post for a banking security NG, but
it's cycling related so I'll try here first... I placed an order for
a pair of forks that I can't find over here with a reputable looking
firm JensonUSA.com, but because my credit card is foreign (to them)
they have placed the order on hold until I send them by email or fax -
get this - a photocopy of both sides of my credit card (signatures,
security codes the lot) and my drivers license or passport.

Seems a little OTT and unorthodox to me - I've never heard of anything
like it before. Don't know whether to proceed now or not - what would
others do?

Mind you, I suppose I should be grateful they don't want my
fingerprints and DNA too..!

Thanks,

Duncan.

Duncan Smith wrote on 19/02/2007 21:57 +0100:
> This could just as easily be a post for a banking security NG, but
> it's cycling related so I'll try here first... I placed an order for
> a pair of forks that I can't find over here with a reputable looking
> firm JensonUSA.com, but because my credit card is foreign (to them)
> they have placed the order on hold until I send them by email or fax -
> get this - a photocopy of both sides of my credit card (signatures,
> security codes the lot) and my drivers license or passport.
>
> Seems a little OTT and unorthodox to me - I've never heard of anything
> like it before. Don't know whether to proceed now or not - what would
> others do?

Jenson are a well known outfit in the US but in all my time buying stuff
from the US I have never been asked that - or had to do anything other
than supply my usual credit card details. OTOH with the increasing
amount of CC fraud going on (see Wiggle thread) perhaps they are just
being extra cautious.

--
Tony

"...has many omissions and contains much that is apocryphal, or at least
wildly inaccurate..."
Douglas Adams; The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy

Duncan Smith said the following on 19/02/2007 21:57:
> This could just as easily be a post for a banking security NG, but
> it's cycling related so I'll try here first... I placed an order for
> a pair of forks that I can't find over here with a reputable looking
> firm JensonUSA.com, but because my credit card is foreign (to them)
> they have placed the order on hold until I send them by email or fax -
> get this - a photocopy of both sides of my credit card (signatures,
> security codes the lot) and my drivers license or passport.

That sounds a bit dodgy to me, although JensonUSA are apparently a
reputable company. Surely when they process the card details you've
given them their bank does the security checking? Visa or Mastercard
are hardly small ocal companies, if that's what you're using. I've
bought loads of different stuff from the USA with CC and never come
across that. I suspect that if anything did go wrong you might find
that your card issuer would take a dim view of the fact that you'd
provided a photocopy along with copies of loads of other stuff necessary
to steal your identity . It might be worth having a chat with your card
provider's security section if you can get hold of them.

At the end of the day, go with what you're comfortable with. You're
obviously not comfortable otherwise you wouldn't have asked, and I'm
sure another USA company will be happy to take your money.

--
Paul Boyd
http://www.paul-boyd.co.uk/

On 2007-02-20 08:16:41 +0000, Paul Boyd <usenet.dont.work@plusnet> said:

> Duncan Smith said the following on 19/02/2007 21:57:
>> This could just as easily be a post for a banking security NG, but
>> it's cycling related so I'll try here first... I placed an order for
>> a pair of forks that I can't find over here with a reputable looking
>> firm JensonUSA.com, but because my credit card is foreign (to them)
>> they have placed the order on hold until I send them by email or fax -
>> get this - a photocopy of both sides of my credit card (signatures,
>> security codes the lot) and my drivers license or passport.

> That sounds a bit dodgy to me, although JensonUSA are apparently a
> reputable company. Surely when they process the card details you've
> given them their bank does the security checking? Visa or Mastercard
> are hardly small ocal companies, if that's what you're using. I've
> bought loads of different stuff from the USA with CC and never come
> across that. I suspect that if anything did go wrong you might find
> that your card issuer would take a dim view of the fact that you'd
> provided a photocopy along with copies of loads of other stuff
> necessary to steal your identity . It might be worth having a chat
> with your card provider's security section if you can get hold of them.
>
> At the end of the day, go with what you're comfortable with. You're
> obviously not comfortable otherwise you wouldn't have asked, and I'm
> sure another USA company will be happy to take your money.

Sounds like a bridge too far to me to, I buy from the U.S. a lot and
have never been asked for all that.
--
Three wheels good, two wheels ok

www.catrike.co.uk

in message <[email protected]>, Duncan
Smith ('[email protected]') wrote:

> This could just as easily be a post for a banking security NG, but
> it's cycling related so I'll try here first... I placed an order for
> a pair of forks that I can't find over here with a reputable looking
> firm JensonUSA.com, but because my credit card is foreign (to them)
> they have placed the order on hold until I send them by email or fax -
> get this - a photocopy of both sides of my credit card (signatures,
> security codes the lot) and my drivers license or passport.
>
> Seems a little OTT and unorthodox to me - I've never heard of anything
> like it before. Don't know whether to proceed now or not - what would
> others do?

I've bought lots of things from the USA (and other places) by credit card
over the internet before now, and I've never been asked for this before.
Furthermore, I would NOT do this. They may not be scammers, but it gives
them all they need for identity theft. Absolutely no way you should.

Find another vendor in the States who offers the same goods.

Tony Blair's epitaph, #1: Tony Blair lies here.
Tony Blair's epitaph, #2: Trust me.

> in message <[email protected]>, Duncan
> Smith ('[email protected]') wrote:
>
>> This could just as easily be a post for a banking security NG, but
>> it's cycling related so I'll try here first... I placed an order for
>> a pair of forks that I can't find over here with a reputable looking
>> firm JensonUSA.com, but because my credit card is foreign (to them)
>> they have placed the order on hold until I send them by email or fax -
>> get this - a photocopy of both sides of my credit card (signatures,
>> security codes the lot) and my drivers license or passport.
>>
>> Seems a little OTT and unorthodox to me - I've never heard of anything
>> like it before. Don't know whether to proceed now or not - what would
>> others do?

> I've bought lots of things from the USA (and other places) by credit card
> over the internet before now, and I've never been asked for this before.
> Furthermore, I would NOT do this. They may not be scammers, but it gives
> them all they need for identity theft. Absolutely no way you should.
>
> Find another vendor in the States who offers the same goods.

Same here. I've used credit card via phone to pay for something in States
and had no hassle at all. I certainly wouldn't be using a company that
wanted everything else which looks as if it could be used for identity
theft.

wafflycat wrote:

> Same here. I've used credit card via phone to pay for something in
> States and had no hassle at all. I certainly wouldn't be using a company
> that wanted everything else which looks as if it could be used for
> identity theft.

As the company has no way of checking the validity of the adress for
foreign buyers, and as credit card companies don't give a toss about
fraud (they can always dump the cost+ on the party which accepted the
fraudulent card) it pays to be prudent. Especially with popular goods
which are easily sold on ebay

--
---
Marten Gerritsen

INFOapestaartjeM-GINEERINGpuntNL
www.m-gineering.nl

M-gineering said the following on 20/02/2007 11:56:

> As the company has no way of checking the validity of the adress for
> foreign buyers, and as credit card companies don't give a toss about
> fraud (they can always dump the cost+ on the party which accepted the
> fraudulent card) it pays to be prudent.

Maybe, but we (in the UK, at least) are always being told to safeguard
personal information of exactly the type that is being asked for. I
think something like 1 in 10 of UK adults have been a victim of some
kind of identity theft, which is a hell of a lot of people!

--
Paul Boyd
http://www.paul-boyd.co.uk/

Paul Boyd wrote:
> think something like 1 in 10 of UK adults have been a victim of some
> kind of identity theft

.... although regrettably, nobody knows who they were.

-dan

--
http://www.coruskate.net/

in message <[email protected]>, M-gineering
('[email protected]') wrote:

> wafflycat wrote:
>
>> Same here. I've used credit card via phone to pay for something in
>> States and had no hassle at all. I certainly wouldn't be using a company
>> that wanted everything else which looks as if it could be used for
>> identity theft.

> As the company has no way of checking the validity of the adress for
> foreign buyers, and as credit card companies don't give a toss about
> fraud (they can always dump the cost+ on the party which accepted the
> fraudulent card) it pays to be prudent. Especially with popular goods
> which are easily sold on ebay

Well, it may pay the vendor, but it certainly does not pay the purchasor.
Someone out there with a photocopy of your driving licence, your passport
(presumably complete with photo) and your credit card? You have to
be /joking/.

When I've bought stuff from a bike shop in the Netherlands, they said 'oh,
don't bother with a credit card, just send us a cheque when you get the
goods. Two days later, parcel with the goods as ordered. Needless to say I
got the cheque in the post to them the same day - definitely people I like
to do business with.

;; It's dangerous to be right when the government is wrong.
;; Voltaire RIP Dr David Kelly 1945-2004

Buck wrote:

> On 2007-02-20 08:16:41 +0000, Paul Boyd <usenet.dont.work@plusnet> said:
>
>> Duncan Smith said the following on 19/02/2007 21:57:
>>> This could just as easily be a post for a banking security NG, but
>>> it's cycling related so I'll try here first... I placed an order for
>>> a pair of forks that I can't find over here with a reputable looking
>>> firm JensonUSA.com, but because my credit card is foreign (to them)
>>> they have placed the order on hold until I send them by email or fax -
>>> get this - a photocopy of both sides of my credit card (signatures,
>>> security codes the lot) and my drivers license or passport.

>> That sounds a bit dodgy to me, although JensonUSA are apparently a
>> reputable company. Surely when they process the card details you've
>> given them their bank does the security checking? Visa or Mastercard
>> are hardly small ocal companies, if that's what you're using. I've
>> bought loads of different stuff from the USA with CC and never come
>> across that. I suspect that if anything did go wrong you might find
>> that your card issuer would take a dim view of the fact that you'd
>> provided a photocopy along with copies of loads of other stuff
>> necessary to steal your identity . It might be worth having a chat
>> with your card provider's security section if you can get hold of them.
>>
>> At the end of the day, go with what you're comfortable with. You're
>> obviously not comfortable otherwise you wouldn't have asked, and I'm
>> sure another USA company will be happy to take your money.

> Sounds like a bridge too far to me to, I buy from the U.S. a lot and
> have never been asked for all that.

I've been thinking of getting some Crank Bros pedals from the U.S, where
they can be had a lot cheaper. Do you get problems with customs, VAT etc?

Jim Higson said the following on 20/02/2007 14:19:

> I've been thinking of getting some Crank Bros pedals from the U.S, where
> they can be had a lot cheaper. Do you get problems with customs, VAT etc?

No, you won't get any problems with customs/VAT. You might have to pay
it, but you will have factored that into your costing so isn't a problem.

Don't forget that when you're working out how much you might have to
pay, the duty is added first, then the VAT on top of the total (so tax
on tax). The PO also have a handling charge. All the rates are
available on the net somewhere.

--
Paul Boyd
http://www.paul-boyd.co.uk/

On 20 Feb, 13:16, Daniel Barlow <[email protected]> wrote:
> Paul Boyd wrote:
> > think something like 1 in 10 of UK adults have been a victim of some
> > kind of identity theft

> ... although regrettably, nobody knows who they were.
> -dan

I've been a victim

Robert

BigRab said the following on 20/02/2007 14:59:

> I've been a victim

How do we know it was you, and that you aren't the person who stole
BigRab's identity? :)

--
Paul Boyd
http://www.paul-boyd.co.uk/

> When I've bought stuff from a bike shop in the Netherlands, they said 'oh,
> don't bother with a credit card, just send us a cheque when you get the
> goods. Two days later, parcel with the goods as ordered. Needless to say I
> got the cheque in the post to them the same day - definitely people I like
> to do business with.

My thoughts exactly. I pointed out the irregularity of their request
and they mailed back to say that the expiry code and 3 digit code
would suffice to release the order, to which I complied, but now
wished I hadn't - after all, they had that very same info on the
original secured SSL transaction - why request it again over a Plain-
Text channel? Also e-mailed the store to ask whether this was their
common practice. So I'll keep an eye on the CC balance and guess I'll
find out soon enough.

Fingers crossed.

Thanks,

Duncan.

"Duncan Smith" <[email protected]>typed

> This could just as easily be a post for a banking security NG, but
> it's cycling related so I'll try here first... I placed an order for
> a pair of forks that I can't find over here with a reputable looking
> firm JensonUSA.com, but because my credit card is foreign (to them)
> they have placed the order on hold until I send them by email or fax -
> get this - a photocopy of both sides of my credit card (signatures,
> security codes the lot) and my drivers license or passport.

> Seems a little OTT and unorthodox to me - I've never heard of anything
> like it before. Don't know whether to proceed now or not - what would
> others do?

> Mind you, I suppose I should be grateful they don't want my
> fingerprints and DNA too..!

> Thanks,

> Duncan.

I think my partner had similar when he purchased some astronomical
equipment from the USA.

--
Helen D. Vecht: [email protected]
Edgware.

Paul Boyd wrote:
> BigRab said the following on 20/02/2007 14:59:
>
>> I've been a victim [of identify theft]

> How do we know it was you, and that you aren't the person who stole
> BigRab's identity? :)

That was my point.

At least, I think it was me.

-dan

--
http://www.coruskate.net/

On Tue, 20 Feb 2007 15:38:14 GMT, Helen Deborah Vecht
<[email protected]> wrote:

[photocopy of credit card]

>I think my partner had similar when he purchased some astronomical
>equipment from the USA.

B&H Photo in New York, one of the world's largest suppliers of
photographic equipment, also requires that for first-time customers
from outside the US and Canada.