Importing parts to SA

HowardSteele

Mar 7, 2006
Howzit all,
I'm looking at ordering some parts for my MTB from oveseas,probably from the UK.Are there some pitfalls you guys have come across to be avoided,or some procedures to make the transaction as speedy and smooth as possible?Are there outlets to be avoided?
Thanks Howard.

I have used eBay to build up my road bike. You just have to read the seller feedback carefully before buying to make sure you are dealing with reputable sellers.

As far as import duties go etc, i have sometimes had to pay and sometimes not. I guess it depends on a few factors. All in all it has worked out a lot cheaper. Besides, i needed some older campy stuff that is still sold as new but impossible to get in South Africa.

Btw, a PayPal account is a must if you buy on eBay.

One other site that looks good as far as prices go is www.totalcycling.com. Looks like half the prices we pay and they deal with South Africans. I haven't used them though so cant vouch for them yet.

HowardSteele said:
Thanks for the imput
hi there, if you want any bike bits, i buy and sell on ebay europe.. i am able to get most items, i live in france and can ship to you in ZA.. i know ZA well, lived there from 1970 to 1977, and had a great holiday this year in feb.. i do not rip off bikeys.. i just provide a service.. if you want any more info, email me
totsiens
geoff.

Thanks Geoff,
Hi from a wet,wintery Cape Town
The BB i needed was eventualy sourced by the manufacturer in Switzerland,so that's that sorted,i'll definitlly call on you if the need arrises.
Cheers
Howard.

HowardSteele said:
Thanks Geoff,
Hi from a wet,wintery Cape Town
The BB i needed was eventualy sourced by the manufacturer in Switzerland,so that's that sorted,i'll definitlly call on you if the need arrises.
Cheers
Howard.
hi there, thats ok, if you or any of your pals need hard to get stuff i can usually get it.. wintery cape town, oh what memories, we moved from windy PE, BUT hardly ever any rain, we could arrange a brie 2/3 weeks in advance and it would be hot.. but CT, we arrived and moved into our new house, and it rained for 18 days non stop,the sunday training rides from bellville, we met at kreil and binnerman. gone now ????.. were usually ridden in damp, wet conditions, but all was forgotten when we had great weather on our cape point rides ,,,( over 160kms non stop) do you know of any 70's riders.??????????..we are hoping to be back next year. bon courage.

Hi there,

Well Here in Cape Town certainly doesn’t rain as much as it did in the 70’s and 80's. For the last couple of years we even had water restrictions during winter, the dams have never been so low, but this year might be different the rains have started early and there’s a bite in the air that suggests it might be snowing on the Winterberge.

Sorry i can't say i know any cyclists from that era, having started mountain biking only 4-5 years ago, I’m sure i saw an article in one of the cycle magazines on a reunion of cyclists from the 70's,i'll have a look and see if i can locate it for you.

Well the sun is making an appearance so I might be able to get up the mountain today, I just come back from a scuba dive off Simonstown, vis wasn’t all that good and at times the weather was a little stormy. I passed a couple of guys on the road training in the rain, Obviouslly out before the super 14 semi’s this afternoon.

I am not sure if the question has been answered yet. I am still looking for sites with more information about what the import duties, and other costs there are with regards to importing a road bike into SA from UK. Does any one have any good resources for me to have a look at.

I have recently bought a Specialized Allez and would like to take it back to SA in October and want to know what the best way would be for me to do this.

Please advise. Thank you very much.