Impossible: Daily Soup and Cycle Commuting ?

rvijay07

May 10, 2007
I have a colleague who comes by car to work everyday. He brings a big plastic container of soup everday. He said that it will not be possible for cyclists to bring soup to work everyday. The water in soup weighs quite a bit and also it might spill and make a mess.

Anyone here commutes by cycle and takes soup to work daily ? Please share how you do it.

Thanks.

Vijay :confused:

What's wrong with a big thermos? like this one
230001CP_Detail.jpg

sheesh- soup is a pretty weak excuse for not bike commuting....
I probably carry 10-15 lbs of stuff with me everyday and plenty of people coommute with a laptop, which I bet weighs as much as soup...

Sounds like a lame excuse to me. I bring my breakfast and lunch to work every day in a 30l backpack.
Today I brought in a Thermos flask full of Hungarian Pork with Rice. On Tuesday it was a very nice Spaghetti Bolognese.

My bag also contains a pump, some tools, a spare tube, latex gloves, a small lock, a front light, some clean clothes and, if I'm expecting heavy rain, some waterproofs.

rvijay07 said:
I have a colleague who comes by car to work everyday. He brings a big plastic container of soup everday. He said that it will not be possible for cyclists to bring soup to work everyday. The water in soup weighs quite a bit and also it might spill and make a mess.

Anyone here commutes by cycle and takes soup to work daily ? Please share how you do it.
Wow, the excuses some give. :rolleyes: There are people who load up their bikes pretty heavily for touring; surely a thermos flask with soup is not gonna be that heavy, and a flask will prevent any spills...

no. I carry a quart size plastic container with a good tight lit almost every day and it is always full of soups or stews. It never spills or drips and I've carried it in a back pack or panniers or a rack basket. I keep it in my locker and nuke it at lunch time and rinse it out and carry it home the same way I got it there.

Thanks for all the suggestions here so far, they helped me reflect on this issue.

Here is the best idea I have after reflecting on this issue. I can cook all the veggies, beans, add herbs/spices and then blend it into a dip like mixture in my blender. Have some cooked pieces in full for flavor. I can bring and store this at work. Whenever I need soup, I can take a bit of this mixture, add as much water as needed and then nuke it. That way instead of bringing soup to work with a lot of water daily, I will have to carry this dip mixture just once a week, besides this is more spill proof.

Wonder why I didn't think of this before ? :confused:

Yayyyy !!! :)

ohiobiker said:
And how will your colleague manage?
I will make the mulch at home and take it to work. Will just add 1/3 rd of mulch to a tea cup and add 1/3rd to 2/3rd hot water available for free from the coffee machine !! Voila !!

To clarify further, I will make the mulch at home from scratch. Will NOT make the mulch from scratch at work.

Hope this clarification helps.

Vijay

How much soup are you taking to work Vijay? I still don't quite see the point about weight of the soup - unless you are transporting huge amounts that is.

TheDarkLord said:
How much soup are you taking to work Vijay? I still don't quite see the point about weight of the soup - unless you are transporting huge amounts that is.
With this mulch technique, I will have to transport just once a week and I will have soup for pretty much the whole week at work. I work on the phone, so to soothe throat, one drinks coffee at work. Soup will be healthier and caffeine free.

nickbutcher said:
Sounds like a lame excuse to me. I bring my breakfast and lunch to work every day in a 30l backpack.
Today I brought in a Thermos flask full of Hungarian Pork with Rice. On Tuesday it was a very nice Spaghetti Bolognese.

My bag also contains a pump, some tools, a spare tube, latex gloves, a small lock, a front light, some clean clothes and, if I'm expecting heavy rain, some waterproofs.
ú

what is Hungarian pork? pörkölt?

I carry all kinds of stuff in my bags, soup, honey, tea, drinks, etc etc, it can be done. just a matter of packing.

robi