Impossible lever/changer solution?

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by Tell, Mar 10, 2003.

  1. Tell

    Tell New Member

    Joined:
    Mar 9, 2003
    I have a mountain bike with a Deore top pull front changer and Deore chainwheels. I want to install Shimano 105 STI-levers. Sheldon Brown says it's impossible. Anyone succeded doing the impossible?

    Tags:

  2. tell-<< I have a mountain bike with a Deore top pull front changer and Deore chainwheels. I want to
    install Shimano 105 STI-levers. Sheldon Brown says it's impossible. Anyone succeded doing the
    impossible?

    Road STI is not compatible with MTB front ders...

    Use Veloce or Mirage ERGO and it'll work with the Deore fder.

  3. Rick Warner

    Rick Warner Guest

    [email protected] (Qui si parla Campagnolo) wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...
    > tell-<< I have a mountain bike with a Deore top pull front changer and Deore chainwheels. I want
    > to install Shimano 105 STI-levers. Sheldon Brown says it's impossible. Anyone succeded doing the
    > impossible?
    >
    > Road STI is not compatible with MTB front ders...
    >
    > Use Veloce or Mirage ERGO and it'll work with the Deore fder.

    Peter,

    What would you recommend for shifters/cranks/rder/fder for a fully loaded steel touring bike? I am
    having one built and keep going around and around on the drivetrain. Need the low gears ....
    current thought is something like Shimano XT on the rear, Stronglight or TA Zephyr cranks, and a
    Campy racing triple fder. But that is the thinking at a point in time. Have about 3 more weeks
    before the frame will be back from the paint shop so have a lot more points in time to think this
    over. Any thoughts?

    - rick -

  4. Woogoogle

    Woogoogle Guest

    Tell <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    > I have a mountain bike with a Deore top pull front changer and Deore chainwheels. I want to
    > install Shimano 105 STI-levers. Sheldon Brown says it's impossible. Anyone succeded doing the
    > impossible?

    I have one bike with an XT bottom pull front changer and STI Ultegra triple shifter, Ritchey triple
    mountain cranks and it shifts fine in front. This is on a two year old bike, not sure if anything
    has changed since then.

  5. Mike S.

    Mike S. Guest

    "Tell" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > I have a mountain bike with a Deore top pull front changer and Deore chainwheels. I want to
    > install Shimano 105 STI-levers. Sheldon Brown says it's impossible. Anyone succeded doing the
    > impossible?

    I've gotten an OLD (pre- indexed f. shifting!) Deore f.der. to work with my 105 STI. I just routed
    the cable on the "wrong" side of the cable attachment bolt. Seemed to work fine.

    Just set up my new LX f.der with the same shifters (sold the frame with the old Deore f.der on it)
    and it works too. Set the cable on the "right" side of the attachment on this one.

    I think it'll take some monkeying around, but if you're patient, you'll be able to make is shift
    adequately.

    Mike

  6. Paul Kopit

    Paul Kopit Guest

    On 10 Mar 2003 13:13:31 -0800, [email protected] (Rick Warner) wrote:

    >What would you recommend for shifters/cranks/rder/fder for a fully loaded steel touring bike? I am
    >having one built and keep going around and around on the drivetrain. Need the low gears ....
    >current thought is something like Shimano XT on the rear, Stronglight or TA Zephyr cranks, and a
    >Campy racing triple fder.

    My tandem is running Ergo, Racing-T, 53/42/28 and a Shimano 9sp 12/32. The rear derailleur is the
    2003 Centaur 3x10 long cage and is longer than an XT long cage. The setup could handle the 12/34.
    The Centaur or Racing-T front derailleur will work. The problem is that the long chain will drag on
    the bottom of the cage is the chain is long enough to wray 52/34. You'll get drag in something like
    28 o3 20 /24 or 21. My solution is a pre microdrive Shimano MTB derailleur. Mine is an XTR. The
    tandem soures tham and I think Sheldon Brown has it too. That derailleur is made for a 46T outer
    ring. If you make 48/38/24 with the TA crank, you will not have the problem with the front
    derailleur and can use a medium cage campy rear.

  7. On Mon, 10 Mar 2003 16:13:31 -0500, Rick Warner wrote:

    > [email protected] (Qui si parla Campagnolo) wrote in message
    > news:<[email protected]>...
    >> tell-<< I have a mountain bike with a Deore top pull front changer and Deore chainwheels. I want
    >> to install Shimano 105 STI-levers. Sheldon Brown says it's impossible. Anyone succeded doing the
    >> impossible?
    >>
    >> Road STI is not compatible with MTB front ders...
    >>
    >> Use Veloce or Mirage ERGO and it'll work with the Deore fder.
    >>

    > Peter,
    >
    > What would you recommend for shifters/cranks/rder/fder for a fully loaded steel touring bike? I am
    > having one built and keep going around and around on the drivetrain. Need the low gears ....
    > current thought is something like Shimano XT on the rear, Stronglight or TA Zephyr cranks, and a
    > Campy racing triple fder. But that is the thinking at a point in time. Have about 3 more weeks
    > before the frame will be back from the paint shop so have a lot more points in time to think this
    > over. Any thoughts?

    I realize I'm not Peter, but - if you use the appropriate bar end shifters, you can use just about
    any current production fder, and you can use any current production Shimano rear derailleur and it
    will work. You will also find bar end shifters give you several other advantages for loaded touring:

    - friction option will keep you going in the field when an indexing failure with dual control levers
    will reduce your functionality to a 3-speed [and believe me, it does happen]

    - bar end shifter cables can be routed so as to not interfere with a front handlebar bag

    - bar end shifters are much more tolerant of minor cable tension misadjustment or lack of complete
    smoothness due to crud accumulation on the cable guide (you can slightly overshift to make the
    shift happen very easily)

    - riding on the bar ends works really well with a touring load

    - significantly cheaper than dual control levers

  8. Tell

    Tell New Member

    Joined:
    Mar 9, 2003