Impossible lever/changer solution?

Tell

New Member
Mar 9, 2003
I have a mountain bike with a Deore top pull front changer and Deore chainwheels. I want to install Shimano 105 STI-levers. Sheldon Brown says it's impossible. Anyone succeded doing the impossible?

tell-<< I have a mountain bike with a Deore top pull front changer and Deore chainwheels. I want to
install Shimano 105 STI-levers. Sheldon Brown says it's impossible. Anyone succeded doing the
impossible?

Road STI is not compatible with MTB front ders...

Use Veloce or Mirage ERGO and it'll work with the Deore fder.

[email protected] (Qui si parla Campagnolo) wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...
> tell-<< I have a mountain bike with a Deore top pull front changer and Deore chainwheels. I want
> to install Shimano 105 STI-levers. Sheldon Brown says it's impossible. Anyone succeded doing the
> impossible?
>
> Road STI is not compatible with MTB front ders...
>
> Use Veloce or Mirage ERGO and it'll work with the Deore fder.

Peter,

What would you recommend for shifters/cranks/rder/fder for a fully loaded steel touring bike? I am
having one built and keep going around and around on the drivetrain. Need the low gears ....
current thought is something like Shimano XT on the rear, Stronglight or TA Zephyr cranks, and a
Campy racing triple fder. But that is the thinking at a point in time. Have about 3 more weeks
before the frame will be back from the paint shop so have a lot more points in time to think this
over. Any thoughts?

- rick -

Tell <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> I have a mountain bike with a Deore top pull front changer and Deore chainwheels. I want to
> install Shimano 105 STI-levers. Sheldon Brown says it's impossible. Anyone succeded doing the
> impossible?

I have one bike with an XT bottom pull front changer and STI Ultegra triple shifter, Ritchey triple
mountain cranks and it shifts fine in front. This is on a two year old bike, not sure if anything
has changed since then.

"Tell" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> I have a mountain bike with a Deore top pull front changer and Deore chainwheels. I want to
> install Shimano 105 STI-levers. Sheldon Brown says it's impossible. Anyone succeded doing the
> impossible?

I've gotten an OLD (pre- indexed f. shifting!) Deore f.der. to work with my 105 STI. I just routed
the cable on the "wrong" side of the cable attachment bolt. Seemed to work fine.

Just set up my new LX f.der with the same shifters (sold the frame with the old Deore f.der on it)
and it works too. Set the cable on the "right" side of the attachment on this one.

I think it'll take some monkeying around, but if you're patient, you'll be able to make is shift
adequately.

Mike

On 10 Mar 2003 13:13:31 -0800, [email protected] (Rick Warner) wrote:

>What would you recommend for shifters/cranks/rder/fder for a fully loaded steel touring bike? I am
>having one built and keep going around and around on the drivetrain. Need the low gears ....
>current thought is something like Shimano XT on the rear, Stronglight or TA Zephyr cranks, and a
>Campy racing triple fder.

My tandem is running Ergo, Racing-T, 53/42/28 and a Shimano 9sp 12/32. The rear derailleur is the
2003 Centaur 3x10 long cage and is longer than an XT long cage. The setup could handle the 12/34.
The Centaur or Racing-T front derailleur will work. The problem is that the long chain will drag on
the bottom of the cage is the chain is long enough to wray 52/34. You'll get drag in something like
28 o3 20 /24 or 21. My solution is a pre microdrive Shimano MTB derailleur. Mine is an XTR. The
tandem soures tham and I think Sheldon Brown has it too. That derailleur is made for a 46T outer
ring. If you make 48/38/24 with the TA crank, you will not have the problem with the front
derailleur and can use a medium cage campy rear.

On Mon, 10 Mar 2003 16:13:31 -0500, Rick Warner wrote:

> [email protected] (Qui si parla Campagnolo) wrote in message
> news:<[email protected]>...
>> tell-<< I have a mountain bike with a Deore top pull front changer and Deore chainwheels. I want
>> to install Shimano 105 STI-levers. Sheldon Brown says it's impossible. Anyone succeded doing the
>> impossible?
>>
>> Road STI is not compatible with MTB front ders...
>>
>> Use Veloce or Mirage ERGO and it'll work with the Deore fder.
>>

> Peter,
>
> What would you recommend for shifters/cranks/rder/fder for a fully loaded steel touring bike? I am
> having one built and keep going around and around on the drivetrain. Need the low gears ....
> current thought is something like Shimano XT on the rear, Stronglight or TA Zephyr cranks, and a
> Campy racing triple fder. But that is the thinking at a point in time. Have about 3 more weeks
> before the frame will be back from the paint shop so have a lot more points in time to think this
> over. Any thoughts?

I realize I'm not Peter, but - if you use the appropriate bar end shifters, you can use just about
any current production fder, and you can use any current production Shimano rear derailleur and it
will work. You will also find bar end shifters give you several other advantages for loaded touring:

- friction option will keep you going in the field when an indexing failure with dual control levers
will reduce your functionality to a 3-speed [and believe me, it does happen]

- bar end shifter cables can be routed so as to not interfere with a front handlebar bag

- bar end shifters are much more tolerant of minor cable tension misadjustment or lack of complete
smoothness due to crud accumulation on the cable guide (you can slightly overshift to make the
shift happen very easily)

- riding on the bar ends works really well with a touring load

- significantly cheaper than dual control levers

Originally posted by Mike S.
"Tell" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> I have a mountain bike with a Deore top pull front changer and Deore chainwheels. I want to
> install Shimano 105 STI-levers. Sheldon Brown says it's impossible. Anyone succeded doing the
> impossible?

I've gotten an OLD (pre- indexed f. shifting!) Deore f.der. to work with my 105 STI. I just routed
the cable on the "wrong" side of the cable attachment bolt. Seemed to work fine.

Just set up my new LX f.der with the same shifters (sold the frame with the old Deore f.der on it)
and it works too. Set the cable on the "right" side of the attachment on this one.

I think it'll take some monkeying around, but if you're patient, you'll be able to make is shift
adequately.

Mike

Thanks Mike, you made the impossible possible.
I took a 2 year old LX from another bike and at first it didn't work either. Then I routed the cable the wrong way and there it was, shifting nicely over all three rings.

Tell