Status
Not open for further replies.
P

Paul Smith

According to the BBC, cycling (or is that saddles?) may damage your

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/health/2991088.stm

Impotence warning hits Bike Week

=============================================================
Male cyclists are twice as likely to suffer from impotence as those who stay away from bikes,
according to a new study.

The report also found that certain saddles can cause health problems for women cyclists.

Its publication coincides with the start of Bike Week, during which thousands of events will be held
to encourage Britons to do more cycling.

Organisers are targeting the country's 10 million 'returning' cyclists
- people who own a bike but rarely use them.

Virility problems

Researchers from University Hospital in Brussels tested a thousand cyclists to find out how the
activity affects the body.

They found that more than 60% of men and women reported genital discomfort.

Their 'Bicycle Saddle Report 2003' suggests that male cyclists are twice as likely to suffer from
virility problems.

For women riders, genital swelling was much more common than previously realised.

The researchers said a new design of narrow saddle with a hole in the middle can cause temporary
numbness for women.

They recommend that cyclists sit upright whenever possible and stand on the pedals every 10 minutes.

New routes

Organisers of Bike Week will hope the findings do not put people off cycling.

During the week six new sections of the national cycle network will be opened by transport charity
Sustrans, in areas including Basingstoke, the Isle of Wight, Cumbria, Renfrewshire and Rugby.

On Sunday, the 28th annual London to Brighton bike ride is taking place in aid of the British Heart
Foundation.

Almost 30,000 riders were expected to take part in the event.
=======================================================

I agree it's probably bollocks, but might point the way to improved saddle design.
--
Paul Smith Scotland, UK http://www.safespeed.org.uk please remove "XYZ" to reply by email speed
cameras cost lives

Seems ok to me, better for society in general if only the recumbent riding males father children,
after all our choice of bike shows us to be of higher intelligence and of more evolutionary
development than our wedgie riding counterparts, the impotence amongst wedgie riders is just another
example of the survival of the fittest, soon we will be in the utopia of a recumbent world.

Ian (hiding)

> From: Paul Smith <[email protected]> Organization: Safe Speed Reply-To:
> [email protected] Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling Date: Sun, 15 Jun 2003 12:26:04 +0100
> Subject: Impotence!
>
> According to the BBC, cycling (or is that saddles?) may damage your

>
> http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/health/2991088.stm
>
> Impotence warning hits Bike Week
>
> =============================================================
> Male cyclists are twice as likely to suffer from impotence as those who stay away from bikes,
> according to a new study.
>
> The report also found that certain saddles can cause health problems for women cyclists.
>
> Its publication coincides with the start of Bike Week, during which thousands of events will be
> held to encourage Britons to do more cycling.
>
> Organisers are targeting the country's 10 million 'returning' cyclists
> - people who own a bike but rarely use them.
>
> Virility problems
>
> Researchers from University Hospital in Brussels tested a thousand cyclists to find out how the
> activity affects the body.
>
> They found that more than 60% of men and women reported genital discomfort.
>
> Their 'Bicycle Saddle Report 2003' suggests that male cyclists are twice as likely to suffer from
> virility problems.
>
> For women riders, genital swelling was much more common than previously realised.
>
> The researchers said a new design of narrow saddle with a hole in the middle can cause temporary
> numbness for women.
>
> They recommend that cyclists sit upright whenever possible and stand on the pedals every 10
> minutes.
>
> New routes
>
> Organisers of Bike Week will hope the findings do not put people off cycling.
>
> During the week six new sections of the national cycle network will be opened by transport charity
> Sustrans, in areas including Basingstoke, the Isle of Wight, Cumbria, Renfrewshire and Rugby.
>
> On Sunday, the 28th annual London to Brighton bike ride is taking place in aid of the British
> Heart Foundation.
>
> Almost 30,000 riders were expected to take part in the event.
> =======================================================
>
> I agree it's probably bollocks, but might point the way to improved saddle design.
> --
> Paul Smith Scotland, UK http://www.safespeed.org.uk please remove "XYZ" to reply by email speed
> cameras cost lives

Can anybody actually provide any evidence of this happening to them, or is this story just another
attempt by the media to banish cycling to the outer reaches of normality. I have personally been
cycling for around 10 years during which time I have fathered 2 children and had no problems in the
lower regions. I suspect that the exercise actually improves circulation and increases blood flow to
that area. I do however stand to be corrected. Cheers Richard

Richard wrote:

> Can anybody actually provide any evidence of this happening to them, or is this story just another
> attempt by the media to banish cycling to the outer reaches of normality.

Err... This new thread is another attempt at a P**l Sm*th troll. He's just been truly routed by his
tosspot mates on his anti-disabled persons viewpoints so now he's back here.

This subject is already being covered in other threads.

John B

In news:[email protected], John B <[email protected]> typed:
>
> Err... This new thread is another attempt at a P**l Sm*th troll. He's just been truly routed by
> his tosspot mates on his anti-disabled persons viewpoints so now he's back here.
>
> This subject is already being covered in other threads.........
>

...which presumably are also attempts at trolls?

Tony

--
http://www.raven-family.com

"All truth goes through three steps: First, it is ridiculed. Second, it is violently opposed.
Finally, it is accepted as self-evident." Arthur Schopenhauer

On Sun, 15 Jun 2003 12:26:04 +0100, Mohammed Saeed Al-Smith <[email protected]> wrote:

>According to the BBC, cycling (or is that saddles?) may damage your

As you would see if you were a genuine contributor rather than a troll there are already two active
threads quoting this story.

In other news, car drivers continue to kill people in large numbers, speeding motorists continue to
try to shift the problem onto their victims, drivers stuck in traffic while commuting short
distances across towns continue to blame other drivers, buses, commercial vehicles, the Government
and the Vast Left-Wing Conspiracy for their plight, and the chances of an intelligent thread
involving Paul Smith remain at zero.

And before you make any comment regarding having touched a raw nerve, be aware that I ride a
recumbent.

Guy
===
** WARNING ** This posting may contain traces of irony. http://www.chapmancentral.com Advance
notice: ADSL service in process of transfer to a new ISP. Obviously there will be a week of downtime
between the engineer removing the BT service and the same engineer connecting the same equipment on
the same line in the same exchange and billing it to the new ISP.

Tony Raven wrote:

> In news:[email protected], John B <[email protected]> typed:
> >
> > Err... This new thread is another attempt at a P**l Sm*th troll. He's just been truly routed by
> > his tosspot mates on his anti-disabled persons viewpoints so now he's back here.
> >
> > This subject is already being covered in other threads.........
> >
>
> ...which presumably are also attempts at trolls?
>

Not PS ones.

The subject does seem to be multiplying itself tho' Says something for its impotence I suppose.

John B

"Simon Mason" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
>
> "Paul Smith" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
> > According to the BBC, cycling (or is that saddles?) may damage your

> >
> > http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/health/2991088.stm
> >
> > Impotence warning hits Bike Week
>
> Might save me a bob or two on a snip op, if I ever needed one.

I too think "so what". I remember that John Lennon couldn't father children at one point, and
he just gave up the habits that were causing the problem for long enough, then no doubt went
back to them.

Two extras:
A) You get warnings about crushed nuts anyway, and ride differently/ get a new saddle.

B) Driving too much makes your sperm count drop. (thats a temperature thing though), much better to
air your danglies than to sit with your legs too close together and let the dumpling stew.

Actually both of those would be sorted on a r*****

On Sun, 15 Jun 2003 14:08:02 +0100, John B <[email protected]> wrote:

>Richard wrote:

>> Can anybody actually provide any evidence of this happening to them, or is this story just
>> another attempt by the media to banish cycling to the outer reaches of normality.

>Err... This new thread is another attempt at a P**l Sm*th troll. He's just been truly routed by his
>tosspot mates on his anti-disabled persons viewpoints so now he's back here.

That's libel. It's not a "troll". I haven't been "routed" and I don't have any "anti-disabled
persons" viewpoints.

This is your final warning. You are no longer in my kill file. If you libel me again, I will
instruct lawyers to take action against you.

Care to try your luck?
--
Paul Smith Scotland, UK http://www.safespeed.org.uk please remove "XYZ" to reply by email speed
cameras cost lives

On Sun, 15 Jun 2003 17:47:14 +0100, Paul Smith <[email protected]> wrote:

>This is your final warning. You are no longer in my kill file. If you libel me again, I will
>instruct lawyers to take action against you.

ROFLMAO! I'm sure we can arrange a suitable sized angry mob to pelt you with eggs at the hearing and
howl with derision when the case is thrown out!

Guy
===
** WARNING ** This posting may contain traces of irony. http://www.chapmancentral.com Advance
notice: ADSL service in process of transfer to a new ISP. Obviously there will be a week of downtime
between the engineer removing the BT service and the same engineer connecting the same equipment on

On Sun, 15 Jun 2003 18:17:29 +0100, John B <[email protected]> wrote:

>> >> Can anybody actually provide any evidence of this happening to them, or is this story just
>> >> another attempt by the media to banish cycling to the outer reaches of normality.

>> >Err... This new thread is another attempt at a P**l Sm*th troll. He's just been truly routed by
>> >his tosspot mates on his anti-disabled persons viewpoints so now he's back here.

>> That's libel. It's not a "troll". I haven't been "routed" and I don't have any "anti-disabled
>> persons" viewpoints.

>So you deny, amongst other opinions, that you posted:

>"Personally I don't see why disabled folk should get special treatment."

I wrote that. It is true. "I don't see why" does not state or imply an "anti disabled persons
viewpoint". In fact I think everyone should be treated equally.

You lose. My final warning stands.
--
cameras cost lives

On Sun, 15 Jun 2003 19:30:21 +0100, Mohammed Saeed Al-Smith <[email protected]> wrote:

[quote from Mohammed Saeed Al-Smith]

"Personally I don't see why disabled folk should get special treatment."

>I wrote that. It is true. "I don't see why" does not state or imply an "anti disabled persons
>viewpoint". In fact I think everyone should be treated equally.

Except that by definition giving them "equal" treatment when they have unequal access amounts to
discrimination.

Loser.

Guy
===

On Sun, 15 Jun 2003 19:04:30 +0100, "Just zis Guy, you know?" <[email protected]> wrote:

>On Sun, 15 Jun 2003 17:47:14 +0100, Paul Smith <[email protected]> wrote:
>
>>This is your final warning. You are no longer in my kill file. If you libel me again, I will
>>instruct lawyers to take action against you.
>
>ROFLMAO! I'm sure we can arrange a suitable sized angry mob to pelt you with eggs at the hearing
>and howl with derision when the case is thrown out!

Count me in. Should be a giggle watching it laughed out of court. Jeez, what a tosspot.
--
DG

Bah!

> You lose. My final warning stands.

Eh? If you have such a good case, why should you warn "just one more time"? Why not just go ahead
and get on with it?

On Sun, 15 Jun 2003 22:27:29 +0100, "Thomas" <tom [at] greysheep [dot] co [dot] uk> wrote:

>> You lose. My final warning stands.

>Eh? If you have such a good case, why should you warn "just one more time"? Why not just go ahead
>and get on with it?

Why would I want to sue anyone?

I'd just like him to stop with the libel, and I fully expect my final warning will be sufficient.
--
cameras cost lives

Paul Smith wrote:

> This is your final warning. You are no longer in my kill file. If you libel me again, I will
> instruct lawyers to take action against you.
>
> Care to try your luck?

ROFL! You *****!

James

Paul Smith <[email protected]> wrote:
> On Sun, 15 Jun 2003 14:08:02 +0100, John B <[email protected]> wrote:
>
>>Richard wrote:
>
>>> Can anybody actually provide any evidence of this happening to them, or is this story just
>>> another attempt by the media to banish cycling to the outer reaches of normality.
>
>>Err... This new thread is another attempt at a P**l Sm*th troll. He's just been truly routed by
>>his tosspot mates on his anti-disabled persons viewpoints so now he's back here.
>
> That's libel. It's not a "troll". I haven't been "routed" and I don't have any "anti-disabled
> persons" viewpoints.
>
> This is your final warning. You are no longer in my kill file. If you libel me again, I will
> instruct lawyers to take action against you.
>
> Care to try your luck?

Hey, I'll libel you ... you're a ******!

Trev

Status
Not open for further replies.