Impressive riding and reliability and strange spokes

I was browsing old catalogues and a testimonial letter caught my eye:

http://www.nostalgic.net/pictures/796.htm

From 1900 to 1930, he rode 65,000 miles out of Gunnison, deep in the
Colorado Rockies, back when the roads were almost all dirt, back and
forth over the Continental Divide 8 times, numerous passes, and so on.

(True, that's only 2,000 miles per year, but consider the snow in
Gunnison and the Rockies and riding dirt roads on a single-speed
shaft-drive no-brake fixie, Columbia model 65.)

His left crank broke the first year, a manufacturing flaw.

One front wheel cone wore out, and the rear wheel failed at the splice
(probably what we call the rim joint), both after 24 years.

A front crank race wore out after 28 years.

When I looked for a 1900 Columbia model 65, I got lucky--here are 12
pictures of a model 65 from 1900 on eBay. His spokes, for example, may
have lasted because they were a weird no-bend ball-end instead of a
normal elbow (see 4th picture).

01 view from left indoors, showing metal or maybe "armored" wheels
(metal-sheathed wood), maybe clincher, maybe cement rim:
http://i22.tinypic.com/29loaz7.jpg

02 view of shaft drive, showing oil filler cap, plus left rear
mounting peg (stand on it with your left foot and push to get going),
offset spoke holes, and--very tiny--special tie-and-solder fittings:
http://i20.tinypic.com/2yotyc2.jpg

03 view looking down at oil filler cap, showing crank and cross-brace
over chain--er, lower stays:
http://i20.tinypic.com/aui6fl.jpg

04 Weird ball-end spokes, tie-and-solder pieces, rear mounting peg,
note the odd hub drilling for the ball-ends (hard to tell if there are
grooves leading out of the holes in the hub):
http://i22.tinypic.com/wrbapw.jpg

05 rear of shaft drive, with a tie-and-solder dingus visible, plus
some badly bent spokes:
http://i22.tinypic.com/10rpurt.jpg

06 odd pedal shape, symmetrical inner flanges, but only a single outer
flange:
http://i23.tinypic.com/287oeg4.jpg

07 Columbia model 65 badge (There was a lady's model, and the 66 came
out later the same year):
http://i24.tinypic.com/9jio28.jpg

08 seat, old-fashioned seat post design and massive springs:
http://i22.tinypic.com/r25dzc.jpg

09 Maybe the seat post clamping bolt:
http://i20.tinypic.com/33m8yaa.jpg

10 wooden grip with tattered wrapping:
http://i23.tinypic.com/hvvz3m.jpg

11 Mass-production tie-and-solder dinguses, sort of like little round
clips (I keep looking for them in catalogues):
http://i22.tinypic.com/xbbjpg.jpg

12 view from left outdoors:
http://i21.tinypic.com/2u5yjpu.jpg

Cheers,

Carl Fogel

On Wed, 10 Oct 2007 20:19:24 -0600, [email protected] wrote:

> I was browsing old catalogues and a testimonial letter caught my eye:
>
> http://www.nostalgic.net/pictures/796.htm
>
> From 1900 to 1930, he rode 65,000 miles out of Gunnison, deep in the
> Colorado Rockies, back when the roads were almost all dirt, back and
> forth over the Continental Divide 8 times, numerous passes, and so on.
>
> (True, that's only 2,000 miles per year, but consider the snow in
> Gunnison and the Rockies and riding dirt roads on a single-speed
> shaft-drive no-brake fixie, Columbia model 65.)
>
> His left crank broke the first year, a manufacturing flaw.
>
> One front wheel cone wore out, and the rear wheel failed at the splice
> (probably what we call the rim joint), both after 24 years.
>
> A front crank race wore out after 28 years.

Not to detract from the inevitable comparison between the real steel
bicycle and what might be described as a "jim beam special", but Henri
Desgranges might well have approved of the man...

[email protected] wrote:
> I was browsing old catalogues and a testimonial letter caught my eye:
>
> http://www.nostalgic.net/pictures/796.htm
>
> From 1900 to 1930, he rode 65,000 miles out of Gunnison, deep in the
> Colorado Rockies, back when the roads were almost all dirt, back and
> forth over the Continental Divide 8 times, numerous passes, and so on.
>
> (True, that's only 2,000 miles per year, but consider the snow in
> Gunnison and the Rockies and riding dirt roads on a single-speed
> shaft-drive no-brake fixie, Columbia model 65.)
>
> His left crank broke the first year, a manufacturing flaw.
>
> One front wheel cone wore out, and the rear wheel failed at the splice
> (probably what we call the rim joint), both after 24 years.
>
> A front crank race wore out after 28 years.
>
> When I looked for a 1900 Columbia model 65, I got lucky--here are 12
> pictures of a model 65 from 1900 on eBay. His spokes, for example, may
> have lasted because they were a weird no-bend ball-end instead of a
> normal elbow (see 4th picture).
>
> 01 view from left indoors, showing metal or maybe "armored" wheels
> (metal-sheathed wood), maybe clincher, maybe cement rim:
> http://i22.tinypic.com/29loaz7.jpg
>
> 02 view of shaft drive, showing oil filler cap, plus left rear
> mounting peg (stand on it with your left foot and push to get going),
> offset spoke holes, and--very tiny--special tie-and-solder fittings:
> http://i20.tinypic.com/2yotyc2.jpg
>
> 03 view looking down at oil filler cap, showing crank and cross-brace
> over chain--er, lower stays:
> http://i20.tinypic.com/aui6fl.jpg
>
> 04 Weird ball-end spokes, tie-and-solder pieces, rear mounting peg,
> note the odd hub drilling for the ball-ends (hard to tell if there are
> grooves leading out of the holes in the hub):
> http://i22.tinypic.com/wrbapw.jpg

straight pull spokes have no bending moment at the anchor end, and thus
much less reason to fatigue.