Imprisoned by SWT

Discussion in 'UK and Europe' started by triddletree, Mar 11, 2006.

  1. triddletree

    triddletree Guest

    Today I took a SWT service to Southampton - one of those Wessex Electric
    jobs. The guard asked where I was going when I got on.
    At Southampton (last stop due to engineering works) he was nowhere to be
    seen. The train emptied and he'd left the van's doors locked. There were
    no platform staff in sight.

    Yes, the 'empty' train set off with just me and bike, and and was
    shunted into a holding area.

    Luckily it was only about 20 mins that I was imprisoned before it
    retraced into the station to return to London, but it meant I missed my
    connection. The train's driver promised me he'd give the guard a rollicking.

    Later in the day I took the little pink Hamble Ferry and I was allowed
    off. Thankfully SWT or Stagecoach haven't got their incompetent little
    hands on that yet.

    tt
     
    Tags:


  2. Tony Raven

    Tony Raven Guest

    triddletree wrote:
    >
    > Later in the day I took the little pink Hamble Ferry and I was allowed
    > off. Thankfully SWT or Stagecoach haven't got their incompetent little
    > hands on that yet.
    >


    Lucky you weren't taking the Red Funnel Ferry to Cowes - that would have
    nicely rounded off your day!


    --
    Tony

    "The best way I know of to win an argument is to start by being in the
    right."
    - Lord Hailsham
     
  3. Phil Cook

    Phil Cook Guest

    triddletree wrote:

    >Today I took a SWT service to Southampton - one of those Wessex Electric
    >jobs. The guard asked where I was going when I got on.
    >At Southampton (last stop due to engineering works) he was nowhere to be
    >seen. The train emptied and he'd left the van's doors locked. There were
    >no platform staff in sight.
    >
    >Yes, the 'empty' train set off with just me and bike, and and was
    >shunted into a holding area.


    I'd have stood in the door to stop them from closing. That would have
    attracted some attention.
    --
    Phil Cook looking north over the park to the "Westminster Gasworks"
     
  4. triddletree

    triddletree Guest

    Phil Cook wrote:
    > triddletree wrote:
    >
    >
    >>Today I took a SWT service to Southampton - one of those Wessex Electric
    >>jobs. The guard asked where I was going when I got on.
    >>At Southampton (last stop due to engineering works) he was nowhere to be
    >>seen. The train emptied and he'd left the van's doors locked. There were
    >>no platform staff in sight.
    >>
    >>Yes, the 'empty' train set off with just me and bike, and and was
    >>shunted into a holding area.

    >
    >
    > I'd have stood in the door to stop them from closing. That would have
    > attracted some attention.


    I did. And I waved my arms about.
    No one took a scrap of notice :-(

    I got back on the train and started moving my bike up the aisles to
    reach the nearest open 'passenger door'.
    It was whie I was doing that the doors closed and the train set off.
    B*gg*rs.
    Letter on its way to SWT, for what good that will do.

    tt
     
  5. Al C-F

    Al C-F Guest

    triddletree wrote:
    > Phil Cook wrote:


    >>
    >> I'd have stood in the door to stop them from closing. That would have
    >> attracted some attention.

    >
    >
    > I did. And I waved my arms about.
    > No one took a scrap of notice :-(
    >
    > I got back on the train and started moving my bike up the aisles to
    > reach the nearest open 'passenger door'.
    > It was whie I was doing that the doors closed and the train set off.
    > B*gg*rs.
    > Letter on its way to SWT, for what good that will do.


    Pull the alarm?
     
  6. triddletree

    triddletree Guest

    Al C-F wrote:
    > triddletree wrote:
    >
    >> Phil Cook wrote:

    >
    >
    >>>
    >>> I'd have stood in the door to stop them from closing. That would have
    >>> attracted some attention.

    >>
    >>
    >>
    >> I did. And I waved my arms about.
    >> No one took a scrap of notice :-(
    >>
    >> I got back on the train and started moving my bike up the aisles to
    >> reach the nearest open 'passenger door'.
    >> It was whie I was doing that the doors closed and the train set off.
    >> B*gg*rs.
    >> Letter on its way to SWT, for what good that will do.

    >
    >
    > Pull the alarm?


    It certainly went through my mind, but was discounted as no one was in
    any real 'danger' - except of course of missing my connection.

    tt
     
  7. Mark Blewett

    Mark Blewett Guest

    On Sun, 12 Mar 2006 13:15:02 +0000, triddletree
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    >Al C-F wrote:
    >> triddletree wrote:
    >>
    >>> Phil Cook wrote:

    >>
    >>
    >>>>
    >>>> I'd have stood in the door to stop them from closing. That would have
    >>>> attracted some attention.
    >>>
    >>>
    >>>
    >>> I did. And I waved my arms about.
    >>> No one took a scrap of notice :-(
    >>>
    >>> I got back on the train and started moving my bike up the aisles to
    >>> reach the nearest open 'passenger door'.
    >>> It was whie I was doing that the doors closed and the train set off.
    >>> B*gg*rs.
    >>> Letter on its way to SWT, for what good that will do.

    >>
    >>
    >> Pull the alarm?

    >
    >It certainly went through my mind, but was discounted as no one was in
    >any real 'danger' - except of course of missing my connection.


    A similar thing happened to my on a SWT train late summer last year.

    I was travelling back from Alton back home with my Galaxy (with full
    camping gear attached) in one of those trains where the guard puts the
    key into a panel next to the door, opens it and presses a button
    underneath to open the doors.

    Got to my station and pressed the button to open the doors.. Nothing
    happened. Pressed it again, nothing. All the other doors had opened,
    so I tried to carry my bike with full panniers and tent attached
    through to the next carriage.. No chance.

    There was a SWT employee seated near by who was out of uniform and had
    a key to open the door panel, which he did, but couldn't open the
    doors because they guard had left them locked when he had opened the
    doors at the previous station.

    So he "pulled the chain".. and said to the driver "I'm a SWT driver,
    and the ~£^&$£^*&" guard has locked the doors to this carriage so they
    won't open, and a guy with a fully laden bike can't get off. I have a
    key but can't unlock the doors, please contact the guard and tell me
    to go to this carriage now!"

    By that time, the guard had closed the doors, and we started moving to
    the next station.

    In the end I got off at the next station and got the train back.. at
    which point I met the guard as I left the train. To his credit he did
    say sorry.. and as much as I wanted to swear at him I didn't.

    To the off duty driver who tried to help.. I thanked him several times
    for trying, and he was just as peeved about the situation as I was.
     
  8. David Hansen

    David Hansen Guest

    On Sun, 12 Mar 2006 13:15:02 +0000 someone who may be triddletree
    <[email protected]> wrote this:-

    >> Pull the alarm?

    >
    >It certainly went through my mind, but was discounted as no one was in
    >any real 'danger' - except of course of missing my connection.


    It is for emergencies and I would say this was just that, though the
    mild end of emergencies.

    Transporting you into and out of the sidings on the train might well
    have been illegal. Trains with passengers onboard are operated to
    stricter legal requirements than trains with just staff onboard.
    There are three main areas where your trip may have been illegal. 1)
    facing points not locked, 2) permissive working where not authorised
    for trains with passengers onboard, 3) driver only operation where
    not authorised.

    Of more importance, I wonder why the driver did not come through the
    train in the sidings and find you?


    --
    David Hansen, Edinburgh
    I will *always* explain revoked encryption keys, unless RIP prevents me
    http://www.opsi.gov.uk/acts/acts2000/00023--e.htm#54
     
  9. triddletree

    triddletree Guest

    David Hansen wrote:

    > Transporting you into and out of the sidings on the train might well
    > have been illegal. Trains with passengers onboard are operated to
    > stricter legal requirements than trains with just staff onboard.
    > There are three main areas where your trip may have been illegal. 1)
    > facing points not locked, 2) permissive working where not authorised
    > for trains with passengers onboard, 3) driver only operation where
    > not authorised.


    Possibly. I'll put those points to SWT.
    I certainly believe the train should have been checked as empty before
    it left the station. I was also disturbed at the complete lack of
    station staff when the train left the station.

    > Of more importance, I wonder why the driver did not come through the
    > train in the sidings and find you?


    In a way he did, as I met him half way up the train. I walked towards
    the front and met him coming back through the train as he needed to take
    it back into Southampton.
    He remarked on the disgusting mess passengers leave.

    tt
     
  10. David Hansen

    David Hansen Guest

    On Mon, 13 Mar 2006 13:56:05 +0000 someone who may be triddletree
    <[email protected]> wrote this:-

    >> Transporting you into and out of the sidings on the train might well
    >> have been illegal. Trains with passengers onboard are operated to
    >> stricter legal requirements than trains with just staff onboard.
    >> There are three main areas where your trip may have been illegal. 1)
    >> facing points not locked, 2) permissive working where not authorised
    >> for trains with passengers onboard, 3) driver only operation where
    >> not authorised.

    >
    >Possibly. I'll put those points to SWT.


    Feel free to do so. They will probably reply that the facing points
    were locked. The reason for this is that although they don't need to
    be locked they probably were because it is easier to install
    standard machines which have the locking built in as standard. They
    are probably on more of a sticky wicket with the second two.

    >I certainly believe the train should have been checked as empty before
    >it left the station.


    Someone should certainly have walked through it, before it left the
    platform.


    --
    David Hansen, Edinburgh
    I will *always* explain revoked encryption keys, unless RIP prevents me
    http://www.opsi.gov.uk/acts/acts2000/00023--e.htm#54
     
  11. triddletree

    triddletree Guest

    David Hansen wrote:
    > On Mon, 13 Mar 2006 13:56:05 +0000 someone who may be triddletree
    > <[email protected]> wrote this:-
    >
    >
    >>>Transporting you into and out of the sidings on the train might well
    >>>have been illegal. Trains with passengers onboard are operated to
    >>>stricter legal requirements than trains with just staff onboard.
    >>>There are three main areas where your trip may have been illegal. 1)
    >>>facing points not locked, 2) permissive working where not authorised
    >>>for trains with passengers onboard, 3) driver only operation where
    >>>not authorised.

    >>
    >>Possibly. I'll put those points to SWT.

    >
    >
    > Feel free to do so.


    Oh, how so very kind of you.

    > They will probably reply


    Oh, you work for them then. I didn't know that.


    >>I certainly believe the train should have been checked as empty before
    >>it left the station.

    >
    > Someone should certainly have walked through it, before it left the
    > platform.


    I'm sure I implied that, but feel free to repeat it.

    tt
     
  12. David Hansen

    David Hansen Guest

    On Mon, 13 Mar 2006 16:12:30 +0000 someone who may be triddletree
    <[email protected]> wrote this:-

    >> They will probably reply

    >
    >Oh, you work for them then. I didn't know that.


    I have dealt with such companies before. Far too often.

    >I'm sure I implied that,


    You did more than imply it.

    >but feel free to repeat it.


    I indicated the reasons why such walking through is more than just a
    courtesy.


    --
    David Hansen, Edinburgh
    I will *always* explain revoked encryption keys, unless RIP prevents me
    http://www.opsi.gov.uk/acts/acts2000/00023--e.htm#54
     
  13. triddletree

    triddletree Guest

    David Hansen wrote:
    > On Mon, 13 Mar 2006 16:12:30 +0000 someone who may be triddletree
    > <[email protected]> wrote this:-
    >
    >
    >>>They will probably reply

    >>
    >>Oh, you work for them then. I didn't know that.

    >
    >
    > I have dealt with such companies before. Far too often.
    >
    >
    >>I'm sure I implied that,

    >
    >
    > You did more than imply it.
    >
    >
    >>but feel free to repeat it.

    >
    >
    > I indicated the reasons why such walking through is more than just a
    > courtesy.


    David, I doubt if I'm the first, and i probably won't be the last to say
    it, but your interpersonal skills probably need a little improvement.
    Please take this as well-meant advice.

    tt
     
  14. David Hansen

    David Hansen Guest

    On Mon, 13 Mar 2006 20:30:39 +0000 someone who may be triddletree
    <[email protected]> wrote this:-

    >David, I doubt if I'm the first, and i probably won't be the last to say
    >it, but your interpersonal skills probably need a little improvement.


    Most people need such improvements, some more than others. However,
    be careful not to assume that people behave the same way on Usenet
    as they do in "real life". Also sticking to the items under
    discussion, rather than the tabloid journalist approach of ignoring
    that in favour of "personal" discussions, tends to result in more
    information being got across.


    --
    David Hansen, Edinburgh
    I will *always* explain revoked encryption keys, unless RIP prevents me
    http://www.opsi.gov.uk/acts/acts2000/00023--e.htm#54
     
Loading...