impromtu race Bent VS Mountain bike

Bill B

Guest
A fellow on a mountain bike comes down the road.As he passes me [I'm stopped and looking at nature]
I speak and he gives the yuk its a recumbent look while he continues on. I wait for a while then hop
back on the V2 a continue my ride in the same direction as the mountain biker. A little later I spot
him in the distance.Closer and closer I get and finally I'm directly behind him. He does the hammer
thing as i start to pass. Not being the race type I was feeling my oats and decided to hammer a bit
myself. I passed him and wtached him get smaller and smaller in tne mirror. Two miles later while at
the country store I,m seated at the counter placing an order when I feel a tap on my shoulder. Guess
who it was??? thats right--it was mountain man.He leaned over a told me that I looked too comfy and
that I should work a little harder. He was really irked at the thought of having his ____ kicked by
someone [ I'm 52] older than him [ age 40ish] and by someone on [in his words] a bike for old men.
What a dork.

Bill B wrote:

> A fellow on a mountain bike comes down the road.As he passes me [I'm stopped and looking at
> nature] I speak and he gives the yuk its a recumbent look while he continues on. I wait for a
> while then hop back on the V2 a continue my ride in the same direction as the mountain biker. A
> little later I spot him in the distance.Closer and closer I get and finally I'm directly behind
> him. He does the hammer thing as i start to pass. Not being the race type I was feeling my oats
> and decided to hammer a bit myself. I passed him and wtached him get smaller and smaller in tne
> mirror. Two miles later while at the country store I,m seated at the counter placing an order when
> I feel a tap on my shoulder. Guess who it was??? thats right--it was mountain man.He leaned over a
> told me that I looked too comfy and that I should work a little harder. He was really irked at the
> thought of having his ____ kicked by someone [ I'm 52] older than him [ age 40ish] and by someone
> on [in his words] a bike for old men. What a dork.

Good for you. Great story. I'm 52 myself and I STOMP OUT Uprights. Do a web search on "Mike
Secrest." He's one of the premier Upright distance riders in the world today and he's over 50.
Jeannie Longo was 42 when she set the World Hour Record for women.

One of my favorites is: "Is that the best you can do? I'm twice your age."

mc
--
Replace "****" with "warnerm" in my email addr

Mike Warner wrote:

> ... Do a web search on "Mike Secrest." He's one of the premier Upright > distance riders in the
> world today and he's over 50....

In my opinion anyone like Mike Secrest that spends 64 hours straight on an upright bike must be a
real hardass. ;)

For a brief description of Secrest's cycling accomplishments see: <
http://www.theguyonthebike.com/100MileRecord.htm >.

Tom Sherman - Quad Cities USA (Illinois side) RANS "Wavewind" and Rocket, Earth Cycles Sunset and
Dragonflyer, Sidewalker Micro, Trek 6000

Bill B wrote:

> A fellow on a mountain bike comes down the road.As he passes me [I'm stopped and looking at
> nature]...

Bill,

At least you were not answering the call of nature at the time. ;)

Tom Sherman - Quad Cities USA (Illinois side) RANS "Wavewind" and Rocket, Earth Cycles Sunset and
Dragonflyer, Sidewalker Micro, Trek 6000

Tom Did Secrest ever attempt his 2 day motorpaced transcontinental ride yet? Dave Tom Sherman

dave is here wrote:

> Tom Did Secrest ever attempt his 2 day motorpaced transcontinental ride yet?

Dave,

I tried several different web searches and came up with nothing.