Improved technology?

Chris Hansen

Guest
Hello,

I've talked to several people who have talked about how
bicycle technology has improved in the last 10-15 years. I
realize that mountain bikes have come a long way and that
shifters and brakes on road bikes are fancier now but it was
also mentioned that drivetrain components and wheels and
stuff are a lot better. I was just wondering what that means
by being a lot better, what has changed? In terms of rolling
resistance, is it worth upgrading wheels or tires if the
ones you have are still in good shape? I keep wondering if
the new stuff is really that much better?

Thanks.

On 6 Mar 2004 13:01:03 -0800, [email protected] (Chris Hansen)
wrote:

>Hello,
>
>I've talked to several people who have talked about how
>bicycle technology has improved in the last 10-15 years. I
>realize that mountain bikes have come a long way and that
>shifters and brakes on road bikes are fancier now but it
>was also mentioned that drivetrain components and wheels
>and stuff are a lot better. I was just wondering what that
>means by being a lot better, what has changed? In terms of
>rolling resistance, is it worth upgrading wheels or tires
>if the ones you have are still in good shape? I keep
>wondering if the new stuff is really that much better?

If you're only replacing your tyres now, after 10 years,
then you either have bombproof tyres or dont' ride enough!

<VBG>

-Luigi

More gears, easier and more accurate shifting. Slightly
better brakes. This is a hell of a lot better than the older
stuff, but it really isn't a large change.

"Chris Hansen" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Hello,
>
> I've talked to several people who have talked about how
> bicycle technology has improved in the last 10-15 years. I
> realize that mountain bikes have come a long way and that
> shifters and brakes on road bikes are fancier now but it
> was also mentioned that drivetrain components and wheels
> and stuff are a lot better. I was just wondering what that
> means by being a lot better, what has changed? In terms of
> rolling resistance, is it worth upgrading wheels or tires
> if the ones you have are still in good shape? I keep
> wondering if the new stuff is really that much better?
>
> Thanks.

>More gears, easier and more accurate shifting. Slightly
>better brakes. This is a hell of a lot better than the
>older stuff, but it really isn't a large change.

How can a hell of a lot better be equal to not a large
change?

We both know it isn't significant.

--

_______________________ALL AMIGA IN MY
MIND_______________________ ------------------"Buddy Holly,
>>[email protected]__________

[email protected] (Chris Hansen) wrote in
news:[email protected]:
> road bikes are fancier now but it was also mentioned that
> drivetrain components and wheels and stuff are a lot
> better. I was just wondering what that means by being a
> lot better, what has changed?

Compared to 15 years ago, components are significantly
lighter weight today. Back then, only high end bikes were in
the 20 pound range. Today, some mid- range bikes are down to
17 pounds and high end bikes are around 15 pounds. Dropping
5 pounds from your bike will give you very noticable
improvements in acceleration, climbing, and responsiveness.

wrote:

>Hello,
>
>I've talked to several people who have talked about how
>bicycle technology has improved in the last 10-15 years. I
>realize that mountain bikes have come a long way and that
>shifters and brakes on road bikes are fancier now but it
>was also mentioned that drivetrain components and wheels
>and stuff are a lot better. I was just wondering what that
>means by being a lot better, what has changed? In terms of
>rolling resistance, is it worth upgrading wheels or tires
>if the ones you have are still in good shape? I keep
>wondering if the new stuff is really that much better?
>
>Thanks.

I think that you need to clarify what you are doing with the
bike in the first place. Professional road racers, for
example, will be hesitant to use new technology if it won't
improve their performance, and probably wouldn't use
anything that hurts their performance (yes, I bet they all
have their price...).

Mountain bikers have been subjected to a series of
improvements based on new technology. It's a relatively
young field, so having improvements in the first decade or
more makes sense for any new technology.

And then some of it is crossover stuff. V-brakes are
probably a good example. They did have a purpose and
answered a problem on rear suspension bikes. I'm not
certain, but I can see that setting up V-brakes would be a
touch faster than setting up cantilever brakes. In a
factory, 5 seconds saved per operation can add up to a lot
of money. As long as you get it so the V-brakes don't throw
everyone over their handlebars, they were probably adapted
to mass-marketed bikes because they saved manufacturers
money and didn't create hazards. Much easier to have only
one style, one operation to train for, in a factory.

There are some concrete improvements over the years. I
haven't used brifters to any great degree, but many
people love them, and I can see why. V-brakes? I don't
see the need. Yes, they are different, but not better for
my purposes.

And in a very simple sense, a company needs to sell goods to
survive over the years. Selling parts for bicycles that will
wear out and fail is downright dangerous, and expensive from
the lawsuits. So they have to generate new sales in other
ways. New eye candy, new (although not improved) design for
components, new colors.... And count on people with
disposable income and low self-confidence and immature ego
states to keep them in business.

If I had the latest, greatest, most efficient equipment, I
think that I could appreciate the difference and consider
much of it improved. When it comes to bikes, though, I am
content with second or third generation technology. That's
my choice. And since I do not race and do not spend time
with people who compare and judge equipment every day or
week, I am content to stay where I am.

Enjoy the ride. If the equipment helps you enjoy riding in
the manner you want to ride, then it is good. That's my
criteria for buying new equipment- when something is
hindering my enjoyment of riding, I will see if new (or
used) equipment would change this.

In the end, that is what counts- are you getting what you
want out of what you have? If not, explore whether that is
because of limits of the equipment or limits of you. My aim
is to get on my bike and not give a flying f*** about the
equipment, not notice it, not worry about it, etc. When I
don't even think about the equipment on my bike, I have it
set up perfectly.

"Ken" <[email protected]> wrote

> Compared to 15 years ago, components are significantly
> lighter weight
today.
> Back then, only high end bikes were in the 20 pound range.
> Today, some
mid-
> range bikes are down to 17 pounds and high end bikes are
> around 15 pounds. Dropping 5 pounds from your bike will
> give you very noticable improvements
in
> acceleration, climbing, and responsiveness.

Is that just better, repeatable, cheaper, machining?

Pete

> If you're only replacing your tyres now, after 10 years,
> then you either have bombproof tyres or dont' ride enough!

Actually I just got the bike from an extended family member.
They don't look that old but they look just like the tires I
remember from my youth.

On 6 Mar 2004 19:58:13 -0800, [email protected] (Chris Hansen)
wrote:

>> If you're only replacing your tyres now, after 10 years,
>> then you either have bombproof tyres or dont' ride
>> enough!
>>

>Actually I just got the bike from an extended family
>member. They don't look that old but they look just like
>the tires I remember from my youth.

more to the point of your original post:

If the bicycle has been hanging on a hook for ten years and
not ridden, you can be fairly sure the tires have rotted. No
mechanical failure in cycling sucks nearly as hard as a
blowout; there's no remedy for it. Punctures can be
patched...blowouts can be booted, but only if they're small
and well-behaved. The most frustrating thing is that these
can be prevented by foresight....

...and foresight may mean a new set of tires.

You haven't mentioned what sort of riding you intend to do
with the bike, or described the bike all that fully--we can
be far more helpful if you do.

If you want to ride on the street, it's a simple matter of
popping into your local bikeshop and buying a pair of slick
tires. The difference will amaze you--slick tires on
pavement deliver less rolling resistance, feel faster, and
generally feel better. They do pretty well on hard-packed
dirt. They're all right in gravel. They suck if you intend
to ride mud, though.

-Luigi

In article <[email protected]>,
[email protected] (Chris Hansen) writes:

> but it was also mentioned that drivetrain components and
> wheels and stuff are a lot better. I was just wondering
> what that means by being a lot better, what has changed?

I wonder if they were referring to freehubs/cassettes
deprecating the older screw-on freewheels.

I hear freehub axles are less prone to bending or
breaking. If that's so, I guess I could use an updated
wheelset, myself.

cheers, Tom