Improvement seen

Dave Pace

Aug 3, 2012
I have finally seen some improvement in my riding and my speeds. Yesterday I decided to do a 62 mile ride. Just to go out and do it. plus the weather was gorgeous for it as well. (70's with scattered clouds and 5mph winds at their max 3 normal.) I think I did well. Averaged 17 mph (16.9 really) and only took me 3:40:44. Last time I did a long ride was my 50mile in September and that took me 3:370:47 at an average speed of 14.7

I think the best part was that the 62 miles I just did, was more hill and had more climbing than that 50. the 50 mile there was only 574.0 feet in alt gain. On the 62 there was 650.0 foot gain in altitude. Small I know but still for a guy who is down from 300 to 250 and I think that's damn good.

This sat I got a qualifier coming up for only 63 miles, the requirements are 63 miles in 5 hours and you have to be over 15mph average. I think I got this.

Nice work, Dave! You should really feel good about your progress.

I wish I could find a 62 mile ride with that little of an elevation change. /img/vbsmilies/smilies/smile.gif Around here, I'll have that in less than 10 miles of riding.

Keep it up!

Brian in VA

Originally Posted by Brian in VA .

Nice work, Dave! You should really feel good about your progress.

I wish I could find a 62 mile ride with that little of an elevation change. /img/vbsmilies/smilies/smile.gif Around here, I'll have that in less than 10 miles of riding.

Keep it up!

Brian in VA
Well that 1 that is coming up this sat will go up 1075 feet, so Im sure ill feel a little more pain, but at the same time it really should not be that bad.

And that ride is now in the bag.

62.93 miles 3:29:46, 18.3 mi/h

And now my legs are cramping up. Time for a nice shower.

"Small I know but still for a guy who is down from 300 to 250 and I think that's damn good."

You bet it is!

I hope you enjoyed every minute of the ride.

Originally Posted by alienator .

Nice job.

Originally Posted by CAMPYBOB .

"Small I know but still for a guy who is down from 300 to 250 and I think that's damn good."

You bet it is!

I hope you enjoyed every minute of the ride.
Thank you both. Yes I did. This weekend is my first century 104. I think for the first 80 I will draft. I actually loved the past 2 60s. This latest 1 more so as there were others around. Cant wait to see how well I do in the century.

Also has anyone heard of downing pickle juice do stop cramps?

Old school: Bananas, potassium, magnesium, keep the electrolyte levels up. Energy gels and high tech supplements seem to be what the youngsters are doing.A gel tucked into the gripper band of your shorts will keep you looking Johnny Hoogerland Pro.

http://cyclingtips.com.au/2011/06/nutrition-and-muscle-cramps-%E2%80%93-what-does-the-science-say/

http://ultracycling.com/sections/articles/training/cramping.php

Never heard of pickle juice...weird. Current theory from the scientific type folks is that cramping is caused by exceeding training/conditioning levels. Stay hydrated and eat. Pop a few gels and stretch out on your breaks. You'll do fine!

Oh yeah...more old school stuff: To this day I self-massage calves and thighs, rubbing towards the heart. No clue how effective it is.

Originally Posted by CAMPYBOB .

Old school: Bananas, potassium, magnesium, keep the electrolyte levels up. Energy gels and high tech supplements seem to be what the youngsters are doing.A gel tucked into the gripper band of your shorts will keep you looking Johnny Hoogerland Pro.

http://cyclingtips.com.au/2011/06/nutrition-and-muscle-cramps-%E2%80%93-what-does-the-science-say/

http://ultracycling.com/sections/articles/training/cramping.php

Never heard of pickle juice...weird. Current theory from the scientific type folks is that cramping is caused by exceeding training/conditioning levels. Stay hydrated and eat. Pop a few gels and stretch out on your breaks. You'll do fine!

Oh yeah...more old school stuff: To this day I self-massage calves and thighs, rubbing towards the heart. No clue how effective it is.
ty for the links and the advice. MMMM Bananas.

First, great job on the ride, Dave. You're flying!

I've heard of pickle juice for the cramps but don't know if it's real or myth. I don't typically suffer cramps but I believe it's because I'm a freak about hydrating during long rides. I set a time or distance for myself, 15 minutes or 5 miles, and focus on drinking each time I hit it. One good sip or two smaller ones, every time. If it's hotter than 80 degrees, bigger sips. I typically go through about 2 bottles an hour and I avoid sports drinks and stick to water. (I did get some Skratchlabs mix and it's really good. I need to order some more.)

This is especially true for century rides. I did one weekend before last, up in the Blue Ridge mountains on the Tour de Cure, and I was very good about drinking the entire ride. As a result, I was in much better shape the whole way.

Food is important on a century. If it's a supported ride, I try to get in a half a banana at each stop. I'm also really good about eating on the ride, attempting to consume about 200 calories every 30 minutes. I take along energy gels for in between snacks (or right after a climb) and have a Clif bar just in case.

Good luck on your ride! One thing I discovered is that doing one makes all your other rides seems short. /img/vbsmilies/smilies/smile.gif

Brian in VA

Also note that cramps can result from plain ol' dehydration and can have nothing to do with electrolyte levels. Dehydration is pretty easy to check for: if your urine isn't clear, then you could be dehydrated. A well hydrated person pees copiously and puts out clear urine.

I've heard of pickle juice for the cramps but don't know if it's real or myth. I don't typically suffer cramps but I believe it's because I'm a freak about hydrating during long rides. I set a time or distance for myself, 15 minutes or 5 miles, and focus on drinking each time I hit it. One good sip or two smaller ones, every time. If it's hotter than 80 degrees, bigger sips. I typically go through about 2 bottles an hour and I avoid sports drinks and stick to water. (I did get some Skratchlabs mix and it's really good. I need to order some more.)

This is especially true for century rides. I did one weekend before last, up in the Blue Ridge mountains on the Tour de Cure, and I was very good about drinking the entire ride. As a result, I was in much better shape the whole way.

Food is important on a century. If it's a supported ride, I try to get in a half a banana at each stop. I'm also really good about eating on the ride, attempting to consume about 200 calories every 30 minutes. I take along energy gels for in between snacks (or right after a climb) and have a Clif bar just in case.

Good luck on your ride! One thing I discovered is that doing one makes all your other rides seems short. /img/vbsmilies/smilies/smile.gif

Brian in VA

Also note that cramps can result from plain ol' dehydration and can have nothing to do with electrolyte levels. Dehydration is pretty easy to check for: if your urine isn't clear, then you could be dehydrated. A well hydrated person pees copiously and puts out clear urine.
Thinking about it it may have been minior dehydration. I felt better when I drank, and the cramps as I was riding went away and my thinking got clearer. So I think you are right. I will need to drink more on the ride. Heck on the 60 I only went through 1 water bottle out of the 2 that I had on my bike. On the bike it was harder to tell.

Brian in VA
ty Brian. I really want to do the 200 mile (Buffalo to Cleavland) with my bike club, but I know I am not there. YET. I will be though.

Dave Pace said:
Thinking about it it may have been minior dehydration. I felt better when I drank, and the cramps as I was riding went away and my thinking got clearer. So I think you are right. I will need to drink more on the ride. Heck on the 60 I only went through 1 water bottle out of the 2 that I had on my bike. On the bike it was harder to tell. 
Dehydration can be insidious which is one big reason why it is such common occurrence in sports and why the majority of the public walks around in a mild state of dehydration. A general rule of thumb is to consume a bottle of water every hour. Given it's a rule of thumb, there are loads of exceptions to the rule, and in real terms, the amount consumed depends on the rider, the type of ride, the terrain, and the meteorological conditions. In Arizona, I usually consumed 28 ounces of dihydrogen monoxide every 30-45 minutes in the summer, late spring, and early fall. I don't know if it's possible for your computer, but I have my Garmin set to give me an alarm every 10 minutes to remind me to drink.

Originally Posted by Dave Pace .

Holy ****, dude. I only weigh 180 lbs, and I would probably die if I only drank 1 water bottle in 60 miles (typically 3.5-4 hours for me). That's a minimum of a half-gallon of fluids for me, and more like 1-1.5 gallons of fluid if it's over 80ºF.

Originally Posted by jpr95 .

Holy ****, dude. I only weigh 180 lbs, and I would probably die if I only drank 1 water bottle in 60 miles (typically 3.5-4 hours for me). That's a minimum of a half-gallon of fluids for me, and more like 1-1.5 gallons of fluid if it's over 80ºF.
Yea, us Clydesdale's have a water reserve in our belly's I think /img/vbsmilies/smilies/ROTF.gif. But yea I need to drink more water.

Dave Pace said:
ty Brian. I really want to do the 200 mile (Buffalo to Cleavland) with my bike club, but I know I am not there. YET. I will be though. 
No one willingly goes to Cleveland for anything. Wanting to go to Cleveland is like using your lottery winnings to build a mansion in Gary, Indiana just so that you can raise your kids there.

Dave Pace said:
Yea, us Clydesdale's have a water reserve in our belly's I think /img/vbsmilies/smilies/ROTF.gif . But yea I need to drink more water. 
You know, ascites generally isn't considered a plus. ;)

No one willingly goes to Cleveland for anything. Wanting to go to Cleveland is like using your lottery winnings to build a mansion in Gary, Indiana just so that you can raise your kids there.
First prize on that race, Dave, is 1 week in Cleveland. Second prize is 2 weeks in Cleveland.