Improving 1 Minute Power

hogut

Oct 27, 2006
How can I most quickly improve my 1 minute power and how trainable is it?
Just do 6-8 1 minute all out efforts with one minute rest between?

I'm a cat 4 racer who has mostly been training to improve FTP (2x 20/30 min, some 3 to 5min VO2 work and occasional short 15-30 sec sprints).

My power profile is bottom cat 3 for 5 sec and lower to mid cat 3 for 5min and 20min. However, my 1 min power is a pathetic mid cat 5 level at best.
Can I expect much improvement here? I do think 1 minute power can be an issue in road races and crits-particularly for any breaks since I'll need good 1 minute power and ability to recover quickly from efforts in this range.

Thanks,

H

hogut said:
How can I most quickly improve my 1 minute power and how trainable is it?
Just do 6-8 1 minute all out efforts with one minute rest between?
That's close to impossible. If your first interval is all out, your subsequent most definitely won't be even if they feel like it. Try 6-10 1 min efforts @ 150% of FTP with 4 min rests, IOW an interval every 5 min. You'll be plenty tired. 30 sec on - 30 sec off are also good, but save "all out" for dedicated testing.

I'm a cat 4 racer who has mostly been training to improve FTP (2x 20/30 min, some 3 to 5min VO2 work and occasional short 15-30 sec sprints).

My power profile is bottom cat 3 for 5 sec and lower to mid cat 3 for 5min and 20min. However, my 1 min power is a pathetic mid cat 5 level at best.
Can I expect much improvement here? I do think 1 minute power can be an issue in road races and crits-particularly for any breaks since I'll need good 1 minute power and ability to recover quickly from efforts in this range.

Thanks,

H
There's probably a genetic component to your "pathetic" 1 min power, but you can certainly improve it by dedicating one day a week (usually Tuesday) for anaerobic work. Keep in mind that this is likely to induce a peak within a few weeks (quick results!) and because of fatigue (on Wednesday) your CTL may flatten somewhat. One thing's for sure, you'll notice improvement from week to week. You'll be able to do more intervals per session (more time spent riding anaerobically), which I would recommend as opposed to simply going harder. Save that for the race.

Thanks for responding!
You're right such all out efforts would probably mean I couldn't even hold FTP after the fourth effort even with trying my hardest. By -all out- I mean giving everything you can (exertional effort) at that time for that interval- not necessarily best power effort which would require adequate recovery for the intended interval purpose.

Interesting, that you recommend holding a little back during these efforts rather than giving it a near all out effort during these shorter intervals-but I guess that makes sense since this will probably ensure more efforts of more consistent quality. I guess that I was under the misconception that the L6-7 work had to be maximal or near maximal efforts.

Thanks,
H

hogut said:
Thanks for responding!
You're right such all out efforts would probably mean I couldn't even hold FTP after the fourth effort even with trying my hardest. By -all out- I mean giving everything you can (exertional effort) at that time for that interval- not necessarily best power effort which would require adequate recovery for the intended interval purpose.

Interesting, that you recommend holding a little back during these efforts rather than giving it a near all out effort during these shorter intervals-but I guess that makes sense since this will probably ensure more efforts of more consistent quality. I guess that I was under the misconception that the L6-7 work had to be maximal or near maximal efforts.

Thanks,
H
I don't think it's a misconception.

1-min power is made up of not insignificant energy contributions by aerobic, anaerobic and neuromuscular power systems.

Better to focus for a while on the energy system components that are the true limiter than trying to put the whole together in one go and end up just training the strength.

Better to focus for a while on the energy system components that are the true limiter than trying to put the whole together in one go and end up just training the strength.[/QUOTE]
So, I might be better served doing dedicated 30 second intervals with shorter recovery times (maybe 30 sec on and off) since I believe anaerobic power to be my limiter rather than 1 minute intervals?

Thanks,
H

hogut said:
Better to focus for a while on the energy system components that are the true limiter than trying to put the whole together in one go and end up just training the strength.
So, I might be better served doing dedicated 30 second intervals with shorter recovery times (maybe 30 sec on and off) since I believe anaerobic power to be my limiter rather than 1 minute intervals?

Thanks,
H[/QUOTE]

*Roadie yawns and comes out of hibernation!*

I think Alex might be suggesting:

-Your neuromuscular power is reasonable
-Your aerobic systems are a strength

So: train what is lacking... anaerobic capacity.

I think a good way to do this is to 'go deep' with longish (for AC), maybe 90s intervals. Don't start out tooooo hard, try to stay even and empty yourself right out at the end. Long rests in between.

A plain vanilla classic for 1 minute power is the very simple 'maximal effort for 60-80s then chill'. Chill being AT LEAST ten minutes recovery.

Roadie_scum said:
*Roadie yawns and comes out of hibernation!*
Welcome back.

Just for your info so you don't get a shock when you pick up the local paper - it's the year 2008 - fuel prices have doubled, an Aussie is leading the TdF and the Pope's in Sydney (so don't wear an annoying T-Shirt) :eek::D

Roadie_scum said:
-Your neuromuscular power is reasonable
-Your aerobic systems are a strength

So: train what is lacking... anaerobic capacity.
Train to your strengths! Screw AC go threshold all the way bro:D

BTW, I saw you doing extra secret k's whilst I was en voiture.