Improving braking performance?

Adrian

Guest
All,

I've got an old French VeloSolex moped, fitted with brakes which are very similar in operation to
normal older-bicycle-style calipers - see http://www.velocruz.com/store/braking.htm for an exploded
diagram of them - they're the same front and rear on my bike.

Made up of a multiplicity of pressings, they're a masterpiece of complication and visual loveliness,
but there's one important thing missing
- retardation! They're lethal....

The brake blocks in it at the mo are just normal ones from a local bike shop, which have worn well
down in virtually no time (literally, about 30 miles). There's a simple adjuster on the cable to
tighten them up - one notch, and they start to rub, two notches and the wheels won't actually rotate
any more....

Any thoughts? Blocks too soft? Rims need cleaning with something? (They're smooth, and not rusty,
but they've got sort of a black deposit on them, won't easily come off)

I should be able to "persuade" it through the MOT on pure comedy value, but they really do
need sorting.

Thanks! Adrian.

Try the current makers - http://www.velosolex.co.uk/. They claim the parts they make now are
identical to the originals.

Tony

--
http://www.raven-family.com

In news:[email protected], Adrian
<[email protected]> typed:

Adrian wrote:
> The brake blocks in it at the mo are just normal ones from a local bike shop, which have worn well
> down in virtually no time (literally, about 30 miles). There's a simple adjuster on the cable to
> tighten them up - one notch, and they start to rub, two notches and the wheels won't actually
> rotate any more....
>
> Any thoughts? Blocks too soft? Rims need cleaning with something? (They're smooth, and not rusty,
> but they've got sort of a black deposit on them, won't easily come off)

If not getting better brakes altogether (?I know nuffink about mopeds!), then regularly cleaning
rims with meths or white sprit and using better blocks is bound to help.

Kool Stop Salmon (and strictly only the salmon) compound is harder wearing and leaves less black
sludge than most. The Continental model is a cheap "ordinary" type that will fit any bog standard
calipers. Could ask Wiggle or bike shop to order some, or import from Harris Cyclery in the States.

~PB

"Pete Biggs" <pLime{remove_fruit}@biggs.tc> wrote in news:[email protected]:

>> Any thoughts? Blocks too soft? Rims need cleaning with something? (They're smooth, and not rusty,
>> but they've got sort of a black deposit on them, won't easily come off)

> If not getting better brakes altogether (?I know nuffink about mopeds!), then regularly cleaning
> rims with meths or white sprit and using better blocks is bound to help.

Mmmm. Time to see if there's some white spirit about, then.

> Kool Stop Salmon (and strictly only the salmon) compound is harder wearing and leaves less black
> sludge than most. The Continental model is a cheap "ordinary" type that will fit any bog
> standard calipers. Could ask Wiggle or bike shop to order some, or import from Harris Cyclery in
> the States.

Ta,

In news:[email protected], Adrian
<[email protected]> typed:

> Mmmm. Time to see if there's some white spirit about, then.

Preferably not white spirit which leaves an oily residue. Meths is what you need - or vodka.

Tony

--
http://www.raven-family.com

Tony Raven ([email protected]) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying :

>> Mmmm. Time to see if there's some white spirit about, then.

> Preferably not white spirit which leaves an oily residue. Meths is what you need - or vodka.

Ah. Definitely got some of that..... (grin)

In message <[email protected]>, Tony Raven <[email protected]> writes
>In news:[email protected], Adrian
><[email protected]> typed:
>>
>> Mmmm. Time to see if there's some white spirit about, then.
>>

>Preferably not white spirit which leaves an oily residue. Meths is what you need - or vodka.

Isopropyl alcohol is the stuff to go for, especially as it's on special offer in maplins at the
moment! You'll find most bike disc brake cleaners are pretty much just that at many times the price
and I've found it to work best.

--
Thomas Letherby Remove NOSPAM to reply.