Improving braking performance?

Discussion in 'UK and Europe' started by Adrian, May 10, 2003.

  1. Adrian

    Adrian Guest

    All,

    I've got an old French VeloSolex moped, fitted with brakes which are very similar in operation to
    normal older-bicycle-style calipers - see http://www.velocruz.com/store/braking.htm for an exploded
    diagram of them - they're the same front and rear on my bike.

    Made up of a multiplicity of pressings, they're a masterpiece of complication and visual loveliness,
    but there's one important thing missing
    - retardation! They're lethal....

    The brake blocks in it at the mo are just normal ones from a local bike shop, which have worn well
    down in virtually no time (literally, about 30 miles). There's a simple adjuster on the cable to
    tighten them up - one notch, and they start to rub, two notches and the wheels won't actually rotate
    any more....

    Any thoughts? Blocks too soft? Rims need cleaning with something? (They're smooth, and not rusty,
    but they've got sort of a black deposit on them, won't easily come off)

    I should be able to "persuade" it through the MOT on pure comedy value, but they really do
    need sorting.

    Thanks! Adrian.

    Tags:

  2. Tony Raven

    Tony Raven Guest

    Try the current makers - http://www.velosolex.co.uk/. They claim the parts they make now are
    identical to the originals.

    Tony

    --
    http://www.raven-family.com

    In news:[email protected], Adrian
    <[email protected]> typed:
    > All,
    >
    > I've got an old French VeloSolex moped, fitted with brakes which are very similar in operation to
    > normal older-bicycle-style calipers - see http://www.velocruz.com/store/braking.htm for an
    > exploded diagram of them - they're the same front and rear on my bike.
    >
    > Made up of a multiplicity of pressings, they're a masterpiece of complication and visual
    > loveliness, but there's one important thing missing - retardation! They're lethal....
    >
    > The brake blocks in it at the mo are just normal ones from a local bike shop, which have worn well
    > down in virtually no time (literally, about 30 miles). There's a simple adjuster on the cable to
    > tighten them up - one notch, and they start to rub, two notches and the wheels won't actually
    > rotate any more....
    >
    > Any thoughts? Blocks too soft? Rims need cleaning with something? (They're smooth, and not rusty,
    > but they've got sort of a black deposit on them, won't easily come off)
    >
    > I should be able to "persuade" it through the MOT on pure comedy value, but they really do need
    > sorting.
    >
    > Thanks! Adrian.

  3. Pete Biggs

    Pete Biggs Guest

    Adrian wrote:
    > The brake blocks in it at the mo are just normal ones from a local bike shop, which have worn well
    > down in virtually no time (literally, about 30 miles). There's a simple adjuster on the cable to
    > tighten them up - one notch, and they start to rub, two notches and the wheels won't actually
    > rotate any more....
    >
    > Any thoughts? Blocks too soft? Rims need cleaning with something? (They're smooth, and not rusty,
    > but they've got sort of a black deposit on them, won't easily come off)

    If not getting better brakes altogether (?I know nuffink about mopeds!), then regularly cleaning
    rims with meths or white sprit and using better blocks is bound to help.

    Kool Stop Salmon (and strictly only the salmon) compound is harder wearing and leaves less black
    sludge than most. The Continental model is a cheap "ordinary" type that will fit any bog standard
    calipers. Could ask Wiggle or bike shop to order some, or import from Harris Cyclery in the States.

    ~PB

  4. Ellieg

    Ellieg Guest

    "Tony Raven" <[email protected]> wrote in news:[email protected]:

    > Try the current makers - http://www.velosolex.co.uk/. They claim the parts they make now are
    > identical to the originals.

    Thanks - getting hold of new "genuine" blocks isn't a problem - but will it help? I was just
    wondering if those with far more cycle experience than I had any useful tips for lousy brakes.

  5. Adrian

    Adrian Guest

    "Tony Raven" <[email protected]> wrote in news:[email protected]:

    > Try the current makers - http://www.velosolex.co.uk/. They claim the parts they make now are
    > identical to the originals.

    Yep, I can get the "right" blocks - via a bit of grief, it's easier/cheaper to order from the
    US importers - but would they make much of a difference? Or are there better things to check
    into first?

  6. Adrian

    Adrian Guest

    "Pete Biggs" <pLime{remove_fruit}@biggs.tc> wrote in news:[email protected]:

    >> Any thoughts? Blocks too soft? Rims need cleaning with something? (They're smooth, and not rusty,
    >> but they've got sort of a black deposit on them, won't easily come off)

    > If not getting better brakes altogether (?I know nuffink about mopeds!), then regularly cleaning
    > rims with meths or white sprit and using better blocks is bound to help.

    Mmmm. Time to see if there's some white spirit about, then.

    > Kool Stop Salmon (and strictly only the salmon) compound is harder wearing and leaves less black
    > sludge than most. The Continental model is a cheap "ordinary" type that will fit any bog
    > standard calipers. Could ask Wiggle or bike shop to order some, or import from Harris Cyclery in
    > the States.

    Ta,

  7. Tony Raven

    Tony Raven Guest

    In news:[email protected], Adrian
    <[email protected]> typed:

    > Mmmm. Time to see if there's some white spirit about, then.

    Preferably not white spirit which leaves an oily residue. Meths is what you need - or vodka.

    Tony

    --
    http://www.raven-family.com

  8. Adrian

    Adrian Guest

    Tony Raven ([email protected]) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying :

    >> Mmmm. Time to see if there's some white spirit about, then.

    > Preferably not white spirit which leaves an oily residue. Meths is what you need - or vodka.

    Ah. Definitely got some of that..... (grin)

  9. In message <[email protected]>, Tony Raven <[email protected]> writes
    >In news:[email protected], Adrian
    ><[email protected]> typed:
    >>
    >> Mmmm. Time to see if there's some white spirit about, then.
    >>

    >Preferably not white spirit which leaves an oily residue. Meths is what you need - or vodka.

    Isopropyl alcohol is the stuff to go for, especially as it's on special offer in maplins at the
    moment! You'll find most bike disc brake cleaners are pretty much just that at many times the price
    and I've found it to work best.

    --
    Thomas Letherby Remove NOSPAM to reply.