improving climbing

watermelonman

Jul 9, 2004
I have been riding more frequently recently, with stronger riders. I myself and getting stronger all the way around but they all simply destroy me when there is any kind of hill. What should I be doing to get faster on the inclines? Simply ride more of them and harder, or specific interval training, or perhaps refocusing my weight room efforts?

There are a lot of threads on this subject but put simply, yes ride more and get your power to weight ratio the best you can.
Practice riding at the same cadence in a higher gear. Intensity as well as endurance is important Demand more of your body and it will adapt but be patient.If you ask your body for 100 watts output then that's all you will get.
Eat right, sleep enough and never ever get old.

watermelonman said:
....ll. What should I be doing to get faster on the inclines? Simply ride more of them...
Yes, climbing hills fast is mostly about power to weight ratio with a bit of technique in terms of gear selection, pacing, when to stand or sit and the mental focus to stay engaged while going slow and in deep discomfort. Work on the power with more sustained uphill riding, preferably longer hills, work on the weight if you need to and your climbing speed will improve.
...or perhaps refocusing my weight room efforts?
Weight training will not make you a faster climber on the bike. If you really want to refocus your gym routine to go faster uphill and for any cycling events over a minute or two in length then forget about the leg presses and the squat rack and sit on the gym bikes and pedal....

Cycling, even at very high levels of the sport really isn't about leg strength, read some of this for more detail: http://www.cyclingforums.com/cycling-training/126133-gyming-improve-power.html

Good luck,
-Dave

watermelonman said:
I have been riding more frequently recently, with stronger riders. I myself and getting stronger all the way around but they all simply destroy me when there is any kind of hill. What should I be doing to get faster on the inclines? Simply ride more of them and harder, or specific interval training, or perhaps refocusing my weight room efforts?

Don't over-think it.

1. Lose weight
2. Increase strength
3. Work on your cadence (increase it)

watermelonman said:

The only issue you should have the word "weight" is regarding losing it.

1. Lose weight.
2. Generate more power.

I'd put losing weight over more power as losing weight is "free speed", it allows you to use less energy for a given speed and in general less body fat = better cooling.

More power is good too.

Less weight and more power really is the only way to go faster on the hills. The other part of the equation revolves around effort/pain/gearing especially on hills where the grade constantly changes more than a few percent in a short distance. Such changes, especially when going from steep (10%+) to fairly shallow (7% and under) can make keeping a steady power output fairly tricky and may require you to change gears more often than you think.

Being heavy and weak on the hills is like being in the circle of doom - not only does it suck going up steep hills, but on variable grades you are never really able to carry that much momentum either. You go slower, you get less cooling effect from the breeze, you get hot which makes it harder to keep the power up, yada yada yada.

If you want to go fast up hills, the last thing you need is more muscle - stay the hell away from the gym unless you have a specific need for exercises in the case of rehab following injury...

The one thing that doesnt need developing is attitude. If you can dig deep enough on the hills to make it feel like you're gonna rip your legs off and set your lungs on fire you'll do fairly well... if you can't then I'd stick to crits and riding down to the shops.

Just keep at it. There are a few exceptions but for the rest of us it takes time to make substantial improvements in fitness. It has taken me a long time to get to where I can hang with the fast guys in the local bike clubs. On the flats you can stay with the bunch if you are smart, draft well and know which are the best wheels to follow. But when you're going uphill you can't fake it. You have got to be fit if you want to hang. As has been mentioned - losing weight certainly helps.

swampy1970 said:
The only issue you should have the word "weight" is regarding losing it.

1. Lose weight.
2. Generate more power.

I'd put losing weight over more power as losing weight is "free speed", it allows you to use less energy for a given speed and in general less body fat = better cooling.

More power is good too.

Less weight and more power really is the only way to go faster on the hills. The other part of the equation revolves around effort/pain/gearing especially on hills where the grade constantly changes more than a few percent in a short distance. Such changes, especially when going from steep (10%+) to fairly shallow (7% and under) can make keeping a steady power output fairly tricky and may require you to change gears more often than you think.

Being heavy and weak on the hills is like being in the circle of doom - not only does it suck going up steep hills, but on variable grades you are never really able to carry that much momentum either. You go slower, you get less cooling effect from the breeze, you get hot which makes it harder to keep the power up, yada yada yada.

If you want to go fast up hills, the last thing you need is more muscle - stay the hell away from the gym unless you have a specific need for exercises in the case of rehab following injury...

The one thing that doesnt need developing is attitude. If you can dig deep enough on the hills to make it feel like you're gonna rip your legs off and set your lungs on fire you'll do fairly well... if you can't then I'd stick to crits and riding down to the shops.

Another good thing about losing weight too is that your VOmax will be improved.
There will be more room for your lungs to expand and work properly.
I (fairly slim anyway) can notice it's a lot easier for me to climb hills when I've even lost 2kgs:)
I feel lighter and breathe better...as I pass the bigger guys who are huffing and puffing:rolleyes:

Bigbananabike said:
Another good thing about losing weight too is that your VOmax will be improved.
There will be more room for your lungs to expand and work properly.
I (fairly slim anyway) can notice it's a lot easier for me to climb hills when I've even lost 2kgs:)
I feel lighter and breathe better...as I pass the bigger guys who are huffing and puffing:rolleyes:

I am a newbie at the road bike thing. My cadence tends to be around 70. What do I need to work it up to?