improving cycling strength and stamina

closesupport

Banned
Jul 18, 2004
i would like to improve strength and stamina in my legs, although i can achieve and obtain 30mph on a flat road, and 50mph on a slight incline, as part of my training i do lots of hill climbs and spend lots of time sprinting. i ahve attempted to incorporate spinning into my schedule, this i find burns my legs and calves but am not sure weather or not this is a good thing.

i enjoy cycling, but don't want to have to do weights to be able to ride in shorts, i get fun made of me the fact that my legs are thin. i am of only small build and would like to beable to wear shorts without being made fun of.

what ways can i build muscle mass whilst improving my stamina whilst cycling. I would never consider using perfornance enhancing substances, steroids etc.

i find that my legs calfs don't grow in size but they do improve in strength i cycle everyday so they don't really get a chance to recover plus i am on my feet all the time. cycling is my chosen mode of transport i hate cars.

Thanks
CS

You go faster uphill than downhill? I wish i could crank it out on an incline at 50 MPH. Usually I can only hit those speeds on a deline.

cycling doesnt increase leg size, it just makes your legs more toned. To get bigger legs you have to lift weights no doubt about it. So now its up to you whether or not you want to lift weights, oh yah also eat more. Chances are if you're cycling two times a day for more than an hour each time you're not taking in enough calories to build muscle, only enough to sustain your current body mass or possibly you are lowering your body mass. So increase your calorie intake (the good way, i.e. protien, complex carbs, and non trans fats.) Add a weight lifting routine in and your legs will get bigger and you won't get made fun of. If you're intent on not lifting weights then you truly are not going to get your legs too much bigger.

closesupport said:
i would like to improve strength and stamina in my legs, although i can achieve and obtain 30mph on a flat road, and 50mph on a slight incline, as part of my training i do lots of hill climbs and spend lots of time sprinting. i ahve attempted to incorporate spinning into my schedule, this i find burns my legs and calves but am not sure weather or not this is a good thing.

i enjoy cycling, but don't want to have to do weights to be able to ride in shorts, i get fun made of me the fact that my legs are thin. i am of only small build and would like to beable to wear shorts without being made fun of.

what ways can i build muscle mass whilst improving my stamina whilst cycling. I would never consider using perfornance enhancing substances, steroids etc.

i find that my legs calfs don't grow in size but they do improve in strength i cycle everyday so they don't really get a chance to recover plus i am on my feet all the time. cycling is my chosen mode of transport i hate cars.

Thanks
CS

if it's purely for aesthetic reasons then yes, you need to do weights. if you're looking to improve cycling performance then don't both with weights.

ric

ewitz said:
You go faster uphill than downhill? I wish i could crank it out on an incline at 50 MPH. Usually I can only hit those speeds on a deline.
Sorry that was a typo, decent. but only slight hill, nothing to steep. i would be terrified exceeding 50mph on the winding road i travel on, especially since i have changed over to cleats from traps...

traffic lights are proving to be a nightmare, especially since your trying to get your foot from the cleat by drawing it backwards like i'm used to.

not 20mins earlier i was struggling to get my foot out, and at a stand still i looked down just before ffalling over and remembering what i had to do..