Improving DL's and squats

Discussion in 'General Fitness' started by John, Apr 15, 2006.

  1. John

    John Guest

    I'm presently doing squats on Mondays and DL's on Fridays. I'm doing 2 sets
    at 4-5 reps, dropping the weight, then 1 set at 8-10 reps, dropping the
    weight again, and 1 more set at 12 reps. I'm looking to get my 1RM ATG squat
    past 400# and 1RM DL past 550#. What routine would be the best for
    increasing strength in these lifts? TIA.

    Tags:

  2. Pete

    Pete Guest

    "John" <[email protected]> schreef:

    > I'm presently doing squats on Mondays and DL's on Fridays. I'm doing 2
    > sets
    > at 4-5 reps, dropping the weight, then 1 set at 8-10 reps, dropping the
    > weight again, and 1 more set at 12 reps. I'm looking to get my 1RM ATG
    > squat
    > past 400# and 1RM DL past 550#. What routine would be the best for
    > increasing strength in these lifts? TIA.

    Do lots of singles.
    Forget drop sets, they only fatigue he muscle. And forget the high reps...

    ----
    Pete

  3. Power Factor Training. An arbitrary # of reps is not necessarily gonna
    deliver the same amt. of growth stimulus for U as others. It's
    Lbs/Minute that count. The more weight U lift per minute (i.e., Power
    Factor) and the amount of time (Power Index) ur able to sustain that
    rate of lifting IS what delivers results. I'm sure alot of losers will
    flame me but I'm bigger/stronger..ie better BUILT than they are so I'll
    laugh last. PFT is not perfect there are flaws but a recent study
    proved full ranges are NOT necessary and therefore the distance U move
    the bar is meaningless. Search steroid.com in the Rehab forum, look
    for a post by Pneumatic. PFT was just too far ahead of its time.

  4. John

    John Guest

    <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > Power Factor Training. An arbitrary # of reps is not necessarily gonna
    > deliver the same amt. of growth stimulus for U as others. It's
    > Lbs/Minute that count. The more weight U lift per minute (i.e., Power
    > Factor) and the amount of time (Power Index) ur able to sustain that
    > rate of lifting IS what delivers results. I'm sure alot of losers will
    > flame me but I'm bigger/stronger..ie better BUILT than they are so I'll
    > laugh last. PFT is not perfect there are flaws but a recent study
    > proved full ranges are NOT necessary and therefore the distance U move
    > the bar is meaningless. Search steroid.com in the Rehab forum, look
    > for a post by Pneumatic. PFT was just too far ahead of its time.

    Thanks for the advice, but I'm not going to do 1/4 squats or DL's with the
    weight on blocks. I'm trying to increase my ATG squat and DL. I'm seriously
    thinking of competing in PLing.

  5. The original "old school" lifters (Grimek, Boone, Hise, Goerner etc.)
    used parials to strengthen ligaments which, as I'm sure u know,
    dramatically increases the weight ur connective tissue can lift. <
    That's why PFT uses partials. Safety AND strength.

  6. JMW

    JMW Guest

    >The original "old school" lifters (Grimek, Boone, Hise, Goerner etc.)
    >used parials to strengthen ligaments which, as I'm sure u know,
    >dramatically increases the weight ur connective tissue can lift. <

    References, please.

    >That's why PFT uses partials. Safety AND strength.

    With dianabol, one can make decent gains even when using a stupid
    training program.

  7. Curt James

    Curt James Guest

    JMW <[email protected]> wrote:

    >"[email protected]" <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    >>The original "old school" lifters (Grimek, Boone, Hise, Goerner etc.)
    >>used parials to strengthen ligaments which, as I'm sure u know,
    >>dramatically increases the weight ur connective tissue can lift. <

    >References, please.

    References to the increase in connective tissue strength or the Grimek
    remark? Because if you knew anything about weightlifting and
    bodybuilding history then you'd know that Grimek used partials.

    Can you get fired from a newsgroup? Beause I'm writing a firm letter.

    Dear Usenet:

    I have been a pleased customer with your newsgroups for eight years.
    On my most recent visit, April 15, 2006 at 11 PM, I received poor
    service that I felt I should bring to your attention.

    JMW is a tiresome boooooore!

    If you would please address this issue with this ng patron, I would
    greatly appreciate it.

    --
    Curt
    http://curtjames.com/

  8. Charles

    Charles Guest

    On Sun, 16 Apr 2006 00:07:21 -0400, Curt James <[email protected]> wrote:

    >JMW <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    >>"[email protected]" <[email protected]> wrote:
    >>
    >>>The original "old school" lifters (Grimek, Boone, Hise, Goerner etc.)
    >>>used parials to strengthen ligaments which, as I'm sure u know,
    >>>dramatically increases the weight ur connective tissue can lift. <

    >>References, please.

    >References to the increase in connective tissue strength or the Grimek
    >remark? Because if you knew anything about weightlifting and
    >bodybuilding history then you'd know that Grimek used partials.
    >
    >Can you get fired from a newsgroup? Beause I'm writing a firm letter.
    >
    >Dear Usenet:
    >
    >I have been a pleased customer with your newsgroups for eight years.
    >On my most recent visit, April 15, 2006 at 11 PM, I received poor
    >service that I felt I should bring to your attention.
    >
    >JMW is a tiresome boooooore!
    >
    >If you would please address this issue with this ng patron, I would
    >greatly appreciate it.

    Dear Sir

    Your complaint is received and the sentiment contained therein noted
    with a degree of sympathy; this "patron" JMW is a prick of long
    standing, despite having only 0.5 cm on deck.

    However, he pre-dates Usenet, having been using the Internet since
    before it was officially invented, and was instrumental in the first
    transmissions when the service was initially steam driven.

    His number on the Internet is #2 (God being number #1) but his number
    is more to do with the fact that he is a great steaming pile, that it
    has to do with any sort of pecking order.

    I do hope this helps.

    Yours etc...

    USENET

  9. John wrote:
    > I'm presently doing squats on Mondays and DL's on Fridays. I'm doing 2 sets
    > at 4-5 reps, dropping the weight, then 1 set at 8-10 reps, dropping the
    > weight again, and 1 more set at 12 reps. I'm looking to get my 1RM ATG squat
    > past 400# and 1RM DL past 550#. What routine would be the best for
    > increasing strength in these lifts? TIA.

    If you want to lift heavy things for low reps, perhaps, then, you
    should practice lifting heavy things for low reps? I like singles for
    deadlifts, doubles and triples for squats. If you can do ten sets with
    a weight then it's clearly time to add weight. Twice a week works
    fine; once a week makes me sore.

  10. Big Bill

    Big Bill Guest

    On 15 Apr 2006 16:49:06 -0700, "[email protected]" <[email protected]>
    wrote:

    >The original "old school" lifters (Grimek, Boone, Hise, Goerner etc.)
    >used parials to strengthen ligaments which, as I'm sure u know,
    >dramatically increases the weight ur connective tissue can lift. <
    >That's why PFT uses partials. Safety AND strength.

    How would a partial strengthen a ligament more than a full lift?

    BB
    --

    http://www.kruse.co.uk/sandbox.htm
    http://www.here-be-posters.co.uk/erotic-photography.htm

  11. Becuz ur able to lift as much as 140% heavier wgt using partials as
    opposed to full range reps.

  12. JMW

    JMW Guest

    >Big Bill <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    >>On 15 Apr 2006 16:49:06 -0700, "[email protected]" <[email protected]>
    >>wrote:
    >>
    >>>The original "old school" lifters (Grimek, Boone, Hise, Goerner etc.)
    >>>used parials to strengthen ligaments which, as I'm sure u know,
    >>>dramatically increases the weight ur connective tissue can lift. <
    >>>That's why PFT uses partials. Safety AND strength.

    >>How would a partial strengthen a ligament more than a full lift?

    >Becuz ur able to lift as much as 140% heavier wgt using partials as
    >opposed to full range reps.

    First, this is not a chat room or web forum. Please learn to quote so
    that everyone knows what you're talking about.

    Second, why does a heavier load, potentially an overload, cause better
    adaptation in connective tissues than a lesser heavy load with a
    longer time under tension?

    That's why I asked for references, and that's probably why you ignored
    my response.

  13. "John" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > I'm presently doing squats on Mondays and DL's on Fridays. I'm doing 2
    > sets
    > at 4-5 reps, dropping the weight, then 1 set at 8-10 reps, dropping
    > the
    > weight again, and 1 more set at 12 reps. I'm looking to get my 1RM ATG
    > squat
    > past 400# and 1RM DL past 550#. What routine would be the best for
    > increasing strength in these lifts? TIA.

    I would not try to reinvent the wheel here. There are many good
    powerlifting programs available - Smolov, Sheiko, etc. Just do some web
    searches. You will find a good selection of strength-training articles
    in the Articles section on the DragonDoor site.

    Here's a concrete suggestion for you - after your 2 sets of 4-5 reps,
    try increasing the weight and do 2 sets of 2-3 reps, then 2 heavy
    singles. Do a cycle or two of this then go back to what you've been
    doing and keep alternating between the two approaches every month or
    two. IOW, there's nothing inherently wrong with what you've been doing
    if it helps you achieve your overall goals but it may not be the best
    way to achieve a new 1RM so a bit more heavy lifting for fewer reps
    thrown into your training on a regular basis may help.

    Another variable to play with is frequency - you may find you benefit
    from doing light SQ on DL day and light DL's on SQ day.

    Just my opinion.

    -S-