Improving my 2hr TT power

peterpike

Oct 16, 2006
I am intending to race more 50 mile (80K) TT's next season ~ 2hr. Is the best way to improve my 2 hr power to concentrate on my 1 hr FT power with 2 x 20 intervals or do longer ones at slightly less power eg 2 x 40mins

peterpike said:
I am intending to race more 50 mile (80K) TT's next season ~ 2hr. Is the best way to improve my 2 hr power to concentrate on my 1 hr FT power with 2 x 20 intervals or do longer ones at slightly less power eg 2 x 40mins
Hi Peter,
Instead of thinking down the line of 2 intervals at Xwatts, try doing 3 or 4.
Also use the lower end of L4 (~90% FTP) in order to complete more volume.
I'm also intending to concentrate on long L3 rides over winter for similar types of event that you're doing.
I think there's a lot to be said for doing a fair proportion of this training on the TT bike in order to remain comfortable in an aero position.

2x20 has it's usage but for 2 hr TTs then those lower L4 upper L3 intervals that last 1.5+hr are great for this. Plus as you'll find out soon that holding a high intensity for 2 hr straight is mentally quite different from 20 min intervals. Plus doing all those long duration interval will really help your complete fitness in many ways. See the "SST to that PMC" thread.

Greg