Improving speed of bikes?

Tim McNamara wrote:
> In article <[email protected]>,
> [email protected] wrote:
>
> > Ron Ruff wrote:

> > > If you want the fastest "bike", then you want a faired recumbent.
> > > Search here for some ideas: http://www.ihpva.org/
> > >
> > > If you want a fast upright, then look at current TT bikes... you
> > > won't do much better than that.

> > Probably false. Any data?

> Well, Ron should have been more specific since it's "horses for
> courses."

I thought I was pretty clear to start things out that I was looking for
"illegal" and even easy ways to boost upright bike speed. No question
or interest in HPVs in this thread. Ron shouldn't try to hijack the
thread clearly or unclearly.

> Over 60 km, I think you'd find that TT bikes are
> significantly faster than standard road bikes. Over 600 km, you might
> find something different. Few people could ride a TdF TT bike 600 km.

Good point.

A touring bike with faired accessories should be very comfy and also
fast. But even a fast road bike for fun rides could probably be lots
faster than it is now since it's likely set up to meet rules which its
rider never needs to meet.

> Given that the IHPVA faired recumbent hour record distance is
> significantly farther than Chris Boardman's funny bike record, and given
> the annuals speeds at Battle Mountain, it's clear that high-zoot
> aerodynamics make bikes faster. But I'd still rather ride Boardman's
> funny bike on real life roads than Fast Freddy's streamliner.

Probably not in terms of real world bikes. There are everyday
streetable streamliners that readily cruise 30+mph---very comfy and
even offering cargo space. You'd never want to ride a superman style
Obree bike on the street. Tribars on a regular bike can be comfy,
though.

Note that for "quicky" partially faired bikes that tribikes come very
close to partly faired recumbents. They're basically on par. It may
well be that a nicely faired upright bike (with moderate "pod" fairing
units for aerobars and for back of the saddle, and with other add-ons)
would be as fast as a partly faired recumbent and still quite handy and
comfy for many people for moderate distances. Much more work has been
done on buffing up the speed of 'bents, though. Really very little has
been done for uprights---no reason why that I can see. As I've said,
many uprighters like going fast for a given effort. No reason why not.
And as I said even racers could benefit from training with overspeed
bikes.

--JP

Earl Bollinger wrote:
[ ]
> Well if you study what the pros are doing you will see it is a combination
> of all the little things adding up cumulative to giving them the extra
> speed.
> Each little detail thing maybe shaves a fraction of a second or more off of
> a TT, but add them all up and you have over a minute saved.
> Some things shave more time off the ride than others do. But it is the
> attention to all the details that gives you that speed.
> So someone that paid attention and incorporated all the things one can do,
> to save a bit of time here and there, gets upwards of several minutes saved
> overall on a long TT run.

?

Right.

That's what I was saying. A dozen little race-legal things add up to 3
mins off 40km TT. What about all the big and little NOT-race-legal
things that could be added up for people who just want to ride faster?
(Not in races.) I'd guess there'd be 3X as many tricks to do, many of
them cheap, too.

--JP

[email protected] wrote:
> No, you just have nothing to offer. Certainly no data or info. Your
> reply was a waste of Net, wasn't it?
>
> Just like several of the others. Very odd.
>
> One is actually obliged to answer a query or not answer at all. Why the
> reflex to go off topic?

The main issue here is that your knowledge of this subject seems to be
far below that of many of the people who are replying to you... yet you
have a superior and condescending attitude.

You need data and info to prove that current TT bikes are not as fast
as they could be... because they have to conform to rules? Do you know
what the rules are that are getting in the way? Do you know anything
about aerodynamics?

I know a fair bit about aerodynamics (and power/speed relationships),
and if you restrict people to riding an upright, there simply isn't
anything significant you can do beyond the current TT bikes and
positions... *unless* you put on fairing that surrounds the rider, or
at least produces a shaped leading or trailing edge. This has other
problems since it adds weight, and and more importantly susceptibility
to crosswind. Many types of fairings have been tried, but for the
average joe they aren't worth the trouble... and for the racer, they
are not allowed.

If you want to try a front fairing though, look at these:
http://www.zzipper.com/Products/prod_upright.html

Bicycling Science (pg188) gives a good reduction in CdA (.29m^2 vs
..40m^2) using a Zzipper fairing compared to an upright touring
position... but note that pro TT riders usually have CdA <.24 without
fairings.

Speed increase is approximately inversely proportional to CdA^.27 so
you could increase your speed by ~(.4/.29)^.27 = 1.1 or 10% using one
of these fairings if you like to ride in an upright position... and
aren't concerned about getting blown around by crosswinds.

I suggest (again) that you educate yourself by looking at the archives
at www.ihpva.org. Plenty of info there from folks who spend a lot of
time researching human powered vehicles.

On 27 Jun 2006 16:37:08 -0700, "Ron Ruff" <[email protected]>
wrote:

>[email protected] wrote:
>> No, you just have nothing to offer. Certainly no data or info. Your
>> reply was a waste of Net, wasn't it?
>>
>> Just like several of the others. Very odd.
>>
>> One is actually obliged to answer a query or not answer at all. Why the
>> reflex to go off topic?

>The main issue here is that your knowledge of this subject seems to be
>far below that of many of the people who are replying to you... yet you
>have a superior and condescending attitude.

The other thing is that Jeff doesn't always make clear if he's asking
a real question or telling his point of view. Those two things are a
bit different and they get muddled too much.

JT

****************************
Remove "remove" to reply
Visit http://www.jt10000.com
****************************

On 27 Jun 2006 05:59:58 -0700, [email protected] wrote:

>[email protected] wrote:
>> Anadrol, Clomid and EPO.
>>
>> These will make anyone faster.
>>
>> Randolf

>Silly, of course. Is that what RBT is about?

Dumbass,

Dope posts belong in RBR.

ooops, so does the "dumbass" thing.

>No one asked for speed aides that were harmful.

At what point do they become harmful?

Ron

[email protected] wrote:
> > Not bad ! And if you do any training at the same time ?? ;)

> Training as in weight training? No, but swimming and cycling instead.
> I like my cardio/resistence combined either in the form of cycling or
> swimming.
>
> Thinking of using Anadrol (oxymetholone). Wish I had some now...I'd
> start today.
>
> Randolf

Possible side effects of using Anadrol : sleeping problems, diarrhoea,
decreased sex, changes in testicle size, dark urine among the myriad
possibilites. Danger lurks behind the usage of any synthetic hormone
for that matter. Hormones man!! Not cigarettes or alcohol. Hormones!
Think about it!!

Reference : http://www.medicinenet.com/oxymetholone-oral/article.htm

[email protected] wrote:
> Anadrol, Clomid and EPO.
>
> These will make anyone faster.
>
> Randolf

If you're taking these drugs, better invest in custom made bike shorts
- your rapid heart palpitations and frequent erections on your favorite
hill climb might give you trouble..

:)

Good luck getting close to Lance!

-B.D

[email protected] wrote:
> Race rules limit what one can do to improve the speed of their bike
> (and apparel) but even pro racers only are in events for a small
> fraction of their riding miles. For 90-99% of miles ridden a rider is
> under no rule at all---but riders naturally love speed.
>
> Is there anything else people could do to get "free" speed?
> For instance, does an aero frame help at all?

I'm thinking that the cross-section of the rider causes more wind
resistance than the bike. Non-flappy clothes and one of those
aerodynamic helmets with the pointy bit at the back would help more
than bits of cardboard on the frame.

> Harmful? Not at all my friend. That's what the government and their
> scare/terror tactics use to keep the masses in line.

Yes, because of course the masses would be lining up to take hormone
therapies for health problems they don't have.

You do know that many diseases including many cancers are driven by or
adversely affected by hormones? Maybe you are too ill-informed to know
this. And you do know that artificially increasing hormone levels
carries significant risks? Maybe you have a reason to downplay these
risks. You must be dealing this stuff illegally to be spouting such
drivel, not to mention instructions on how to use it.

Tim,

You know all those guys passing you by in the race as though you are
pedalling backwards...they don't share your sentiment.

You must be a member of the "Dream Team"...wake up already!

Though, seriously, I owe you a debt of gratitude. I couldn't look half
as good out there on the race course if it wasn't for guys like.

Randolf

Tim,

You know all those guys passing you by in the race as though you are
pedalling backwards...they don't share your sentiment. You must be a
member of the "Dream Team"...wake up already.

Though, seriously, I owe you a debt of gratitude. I couldn't look half

as good out there on the race course if it wasn't for guys like you.

Randolf

> You know all those guys passing you by in the race as though you are
> pedalling backwards...they don't share your sentiment. You must be a
> member of the "Dream Team"...wake up already.

I'm sure there's a lot of doping going on in Master's Cat 4 races. LOL!

> Though, seriously, I owe you a debt of gratitude. I couldn't look
> half as good out there on the race course if it wasn't for guys like you.

Die young, leave a pretty corpse. Good luck to you.

Tim McNamara wrote:
> In article <[email protected]>,
> [email protected] wrote:
>
> > They have a name for people who think like you....call them "Last
> > Place".

> My health is worth more to me than winning the Podunk Criterium.

What? You're not willing to dope to get that first-place plastic water
bottle and box of prune Cliff Bars. Loser! And if the guy in the
gorilla suit really fleeces the 18-person crowd, you could have gotten
the $12.92 prime, too. That would have covered the cost of at least two
doses right there.

I know Randolf is trolling (and doing a pretty good job, too), but the
notion of doping to win a Cat 4 race is pretty humorous. Even doping
to win a Cat 1 race so you can get a pro contract that pays $22K a year
and allows you to sleep in a van four months a year is pretty stupid.
If I am going to dope, it will be dope that makes me smarter and helps
me become Warren Buffet or something. Then I could at least afford my
dope. -- Jay Beattie.