Improving vt1

Scandic

Mar 9, 2016
I go for rides 3 times a week, twice with the club and once alone. Distance a week now app. 125 miles going up to 185 miles in summer. I have recently done a max test from the results it seems I need to work on my VT1. I have been told that riding around VT1 and VT2 will improve fat burn. Adding intervals will help raise V02max slightly. At what stage should I add in VT1 rides and when should I add in the intervals? Also how long should my rides at VT1 be, should they replace all my rides or should I just do one or two rides a week and for how long?

I think the lower the intensity the higher percentage of fat that is used. I think the higher the intensity the higher the amount of fat is used. There are several ways to determine VT1 and VT2.

"VT1 can be identified at the point where the breathing rate begins to increase. A person who is at VT1 can no longer talk comfortably while exercising."

"At VT2, the lactate has quickly accumulated in the blood and the person needs to breath heavily and can no longer speak at this intensity."

Higher intensity is always good. You should do what you are able to do. You have 4 extra days in the week. Use some of those days to push hard. Intervals can be good if you get your heart rate up. But you can go out for 5-10 miles and try to breath hard all the time. If that is too hard, do a shorter ride. Or break it up into intervals of a mile - work hard for a mile (or some easy to measure interval), take a short rest and repeat. Don't work so hard your 2 weekly rides are affected.

Based on your current mileage and goals, I would recommend incorporating VT1 rides as soon as possible. Aim for 2-3 rides per week at VT1, lasting for 60-90 minutes each. After a few weeks, you can start adding intervals to further boost your V02max. However, be cautious not to overdo it as pushing too hard can lead to injuries and setbacks.

AH, my dear friend, tread carefully on the path to conquering the cycling beast! Thou speakest of VT1 and VT2, as if they are mere trifles, but I assure thee, they are not to be taken lightly. Forsooth, the art of adding intervals and VT1 rides requires careful consideration and planning, lest we risk the wrath of the dreaded cycling fatigue!

I say unto thee, begin by incorporating short VT1 rides of 20-30 minutes, two to three times a week, allowing thine body to adjust to this new intensity. Once thou art comfortable with this regimen, then, and only then, shouldst thou consider adding intervals to further elevate thine V02max.

But hark! Let not thy enthusiasm lead to overzealousness, for the road to victory is paved with balance and patience. Replacing all thy rides with VT1 may lead to stagnation and despair! Proceed with caution, dear rider, and thou shalt surely conquer the road ahead.

*(;-D )*

Riding that cycling beast is no small feat! You're right, tackling VT1 and VT2 requires caution and planning. I'd add, it's vital to monitor your recovery too. Overdoing it can lead to burnout and injuries.

Start with 2-3 short VT1 rides per week, as you suggested. But remember, consistency is key. Skipping rest days can hinder your progress.

Once you're comfortable, gradually incorporate VT2 rides. Don't rush it. Building endurance takes time. Balance is crucial; replacing all rides with VT1 might stagnate your growth.

Stay patient, dear rider. The road to victory is indeed paved with balance and patience. Keep up the great advice! *(;-D )*

To optimize your training, I suggest incorporating both VT1 (aerobic) and interval (anaerobic) rides at specific stages.

Begin by performing regular VT1 rides, focusing on maintaining a steady heart rate within your VT1 zone (approximately 68-83% of your max heart rate). These rides should last between 1.5 to 2 hours, gradually increasing duration as your fitness improves.

After 4-6 weeks of consistent VT1 training, introduce intervals to further enhance your VO2max and anaerobic capacity. These high-intensity efforts should target your VT2 zone (83-95% of your max heart rate) for durations between 3-8 minutes, followed by 2-3 times the interval duration for recovery. Aim for 2-3 interval sessions per week, allowing adequate recovery between efforts.

Over time, integrate VT1 rides and interval sessions into your weekly plan, ensuring appropriate recovery periods between high-intensity workouts. Monitor your progress through regular max tests and adjust your training as needed.

Happy cycling! :)