IMUSA Placid Climbing

Discussion in 'Triathlon' started by Andrew Halperin, Jun 16, 2003.

  1. Anyone know (for sure...empirically) what the total climbing is per lap for IM Lake Placid. I
    plotted it out on TopoUSA and I want to give it a sanity check before I start distributing it.

    Thanks -Andrew Boulder, CO

    Tags:

  2. Old Timer

    Old Timer Guest

    Yes, about a billion feet. Thats what it'll feel like on the last climb back into town, the second
    time around.

    The course starts off flat for a mile or two then there are some very long uphills with only very
    brief respites from climbing. Then at about 10(?) miles you go for a KILLER long downhill (which I
    hit 52mph on) and then you go left and flat for another very long time. You'll then make a left and
    climb for maybe 2 miles - pretty steep in sections. It then goes right and out along the river again
    for a while
    - some rollers, and the climbs for a mile or so but not steep to a turn around where you then get
    your revenge on that section. At that point you head back towards town but you have what is
    probably 12 miles of mostly climbing, but don't take the distance literally because I can't
    remember it correctly, even though I've done that 56 mile loop 6 times or more. The long climb
    back into town is, for me, by far the most difficult part of the ride, but it gets easier each
    time I do it.

    That last section is a beautiful ride, but its up, up, up, up, up with only one or two small slides
    down to get a break. The hills are not terribly steep on this last section but they do go on and are
    definitely longer on the 2nd loop.

    This might not help you, or answer your question about how many feet, but its a way of trying to say
    don't worry about the height - just figure out how you'll deal with it. I'm sure you'll be there
    race day whether there's 10 feet of climbing or 10,000, and do just fine.

  3. Mike Tennent

    Mike Tennent Guest

    [email protected] (Old Timer) wrote:

    >That last section is a beautiful ride, but its up, up, up, up, up with only one or two small slides
    >down to get a break. The hills are not terribly steep on this last section but they do go on and
    >are definitely longer on the 2nd loop.

    Those of us at the back last year also found out how big a factor the wind can be on that last 12
    mile stretch. In the morning, there was a light tail wind and I cruised through it feeling fine. By
    the afternoon, the wind changed and there was a stiff head wind. I was in the aeros, granny gear,
    almost going anaerobic. God, that hurt.

    Mike Tennent "IronPenguin"