In a crit race, how many times do you think a good Cat 1 rider can lap Cat 5 racers?

LS17

Jun 24, 2005
Let's say for whatever reason a good Cat 1 racer entered a competition to race with a pack of Cat 5 racers. The race length is 30 minutes long and the course is about a mile from start to finish. How many times do you think the cat 1 racer would be able to lap the pack of cat 5 racers? He will not have the advantage of drafting obviously but he is a cat 1 rider competing against cat 5s.

LS17 said:
Let's say for whatever reason a good Cat 1 racer entered a competition to race with a pack of Cat 5 racers. The race length is 30 minutes long and the course is about a mile from start to finish. How many times do you think the cat 1 racer would be able to lap the pack of cat 5 racers? He will not have the advantage of drafting obviously but he is a cat 1 rider competing against cat 5s.

Pick a number, feel confident in it's accurateness and then come up with a more meaningful question. Too many varibles; length of course, number of laps.........

capwater said:
Pick a number, feel confident in it's accurateness and then come up with a more meaningful question. Too many varibles; length of course, number of laps.........
Yeah LS17, stop asking so many stupid questions related to comparing USCF categories and go ride/race. Whatever your hangup is, it isn't going to matter what anyone here says, just go race.

LS17: Have you actually done a race? If not, I urge you to try. But by the nature of your questions it might be best to go check one out as a spectator first to get a feel for what goes on. I do not want to dampen your enthusiam, but your questions are really not realistic. Just the fact that you ask about lapping shows me that you think races are all about speed. Tactics, planning and riding with a team are really where it's at. Ever wonder why the guy at the front of the pack with 1 lap to go isn't always the winner of the race?

wilmar13 said:
Yeah LS17, stop asking so many stupid questions related to comparing USCF categories and go ride/race. Whatever your hangup is, it isn't going to matter what anyone here says, just go race.
Wilmar, go search on his ID and check out his posts. Better than watching the Comedy Channel!

1. What is the ideal height/weight?
2. Should I buy this WaltMart bike?
3. Does cycling make you taller?
4. What is the average speed of a Cat4/5?
5. How many miles a week does a Cat1/2 ride?
6. Which pro cyclist has the most muscular legs?

For the past year you have been asking some pretty off the wall questions. My point is what is your point? No one can tell you how to race, you need to learn by experience. Go out and ride and all the knowledge you seek will rain down upon you.......