In case of the remote possibility...

Alex Graham

Guest
Does anyone else have a 'Raleigh Pioneer Classic'?

I have obtained one which I'm converting to a fixed wheel, and was wondering if anyone knows what it
was originally intended for?

heres a photo:

http://alexpg.ath.cx:3353/pioneer.jpg

It has brazed lugged joints, threaded gear hanger, HDOs, 700C wheels, square taper BB, double
chainset with a 5 speed freewheel.

Its dark red, the only stickers are raleigh ones, no mention of reynolds blah or anything. As you
can see it has the most horrific bars and saddle known to mankind at the moment :)

Any info would be appreciated!

Cheers,
--

-Alex

----------------------------------
[email protected]

http://alexpg.ath.cx:3353/cycling.php http://www.westerleycycling.org.uk
----------------------------------

"Alex Graham" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> Does anyone else have a 'Raleigh Pioneer Classic'?
>
> I have obtained one which I'm converting to a fixed wheel, and was wondering if anyone knows what
> it was originally intended for?

hybrid, fairly cheap.

> Its dark red

That's a very purple dark red...

(is the down sloping top tube an optical illusion?)

cheers, clive

Alex Graham wrote:

> Its dark red

Ahem. Euphemism of the year? :)

Simon

In news:[email protected], Alex Graham <[email protected]> typed:
> Does anyone else have a 'Raleigh Pioneer Classic'?
>
> I have obtained one which I'm converting to a fixed wheel, and was wondering if anyone knows what
> it was originally intended for?

I would say it was a low-end "comfort bike" - a development of the traditional "roadster" that
village bobbies used to ride, and nuns and posties still do. There is one chap at work who rides
one, one of the older guys. AFAIK flat bars were standard.

I think the frame is steel - probably cro-moly.

BTW apologies for blank message sent earlier - must have accidentally double clicked on something

Alex

Simon Hay wrote:

> Ahem. Euphemism of the year? :)

Look - can people stop criticising my colour perception! I wrote dark red having last seen it in
quite a dark room. I didnt look at the photo when I wrote that!

Anyway iww is it a euphemism? Is being purple really that dark, sordid and unacceptable?

:)

--

-Alex

----------------------------------

Mr R@t (2.3 zulu-alpha) [comms room 2] wrote:

> I would say it was a low-end "comfort bike" - a development of the traditional "roadster" that
> village bobbies used to ride, and nuns and posties still do. There is one chap at work who rides
> one, one of the older guys. AFAIK flat bars were standard.
>
> I think the frame is steel - probably cro-moly.

Any idea of age?

--

-Alex

----------------------------------

Alex Graham wrote:

> Any idea of age?

In fact, is there any general way to find out the age of a bike - perhaps from frame serial no.? I
have a fairly aged Puch road bike I've been steadily upgrading as a hack bike but out of curiosity
would like to know just how old it is...

Simon

"Alex Graham" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> Does anyone else have a 'Raleigh Pioneer Classic'?
>
> I have obtained one which I'm converting to a fixed wheel, and was wondering if anyone knows what
> it was originally intended for?
>
> heres a photo:
>
> http://alexpg.ath.cx:3353/pioneer.jpg
>
> It has brazed lugged joints, threaded gear hanger, HDOs, 700C wheels, square taper BB, double
> chainset with a 5 speed freewheel.
>
> Its dark red, the only stickers are raleigh ones, no mention of reynolds blah or anything. As you
> can see it has the most horrific bars and saddle known to mankind at the moment :)
>
> Any info would be appreciated!
>

> Cheers,
> --
>
> -Alex

We've had a ladies version 'Raleigh Pioneer Classic Jaguar 12 speed' since new (about 8-10 yrs old)?
. It cost £220. Bars on yours look original. Saddle on ladies version is black with a couple of
springs at the rear. I recently bought the gents (frame and forks only) and swapped the components
over and am using it for commuting. My lbs has a new gents Pioneer in the showroom.but I didn't pay
attention to the saddle type. When I mentioned that it was quite elderly they said they found it at
the rear of the back room and have moved it to the showroom to try and sell it.

PM wrote:

> We've had a ladies version 'Raleigh Pioneer Classic Jaguar 12 speed' since new (about 8-10 yrs
> old)? . It cost £220. Bars on yours look original. Saddle on ladies version is black with a couple
> of springs at the rear. I recently bought the gents (frame and forks only) and swapped the
> components over and am using it for commuting. My lbs has a new gents Pioneer in the showroom.but
> I didn't pay attention to the saddle type. When I mentioned that it was quite elderly they said
> they found it at the rear of the back room and have moved it to the showroom to try and sell it.

Thanks for the info everyone btw

So how have you got it set up? I thought its got quite a classic roady geometry and would make a
good fixed wheel... Ill find out when I try riding it I suppose :) Ive got rid of those horrendous
bars and put some drops on.

--

-Alex

----------------------------------
[email protected]

http://alexpg.ath.cx:3353/cycling.php http://www.westerleycycling.org.uk

Alex Graham <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...

> Its dark red, the only stickers are raleigh ones, no mention of reynolds blah or anything.

Probably high-tensile steel, though Raleigh did make Reynolds tubed ones in 501 butted Cr-Mo. For a
couple of years, when really going for the hard sell on Pioneers, they even made a 531 version -
potential candidate for conversion to a beginner's 'cross machine?

David E. Belcher

Dept. of Chemistry, University of York