in deer season not neccessary to enjoy fresh venison

Discussion in 'Food and nutrition' started by Dee Randall, Nov 29, 2005.

  1. Dee Randall

    Dee Randall Guest

    I happened to be standing in the kitchen window when I saw this deer
    running, then stumbling to the ground. It was not deer season. We hauled
    it away ourselves, but when we reported that it bothered us that someone had
    shot a deer on our property out of season, we got an answer several days
    later and one was that they wished they'd got the message as soon as it
    happened because there were hungry families. They said that 'these things
    happen.'
    Lesson to be learned? Wear orange hats all year 'round at our house;
    run-not-walk to the car.

    http://tinypic.com/i19zld.jpg
    http://tinypic.com/i19zja.jpg

    Tags:

  2. Nancy1

    Nancy1 Guest

    Dee Randall wrote:
    > I happened to be standing in the kitchen window when I saw this deer
    > running, then stumbling to the ground. It was not deer season. We hauled
    > it away ourselves, but when we reported that it bothered us that someone had
    > shot a deer on our property out of season, we got an answer several days
    > later and one was that they wished they'd got the message as soon as it
    > happened because there were hungry families. They said that 'these things
    > happen.'
    > Lesson to be learned? Wear orange hats all year 'round at our house;
    > run-not-walk to the car.
    >
    > http://tinypic.com/i19zld.jpg
    > http://tinypic.com/i19zja.jpg

    Since it was out of season, no wonder the shooters didn't retrieve
    their deer.

    In season, hunters should ask permission before hunting close to
    occupied territory, so that they can retrieve deer who run onto
    property they don't have permission to hunt on. Here in Iowa, I
    believe it is legal (and desirable) for hunters to follow any wounded
    deer and retrieve them...no permission is required. Some home-owners
    are more attuned to this than others, and there are also properties
    which are hunted with permission, but which hunters know that the
    adjacent property owners will keep hunters off their property, no
    matter the reason.

    Dead deer should always be removed to a locker promptly so the meat can
    be donated.

    If I lived in hunting territory, I'd run a huge orange flag from the
    top of my roof - just in case there were adjacent property owners who
    gave hunters new to the area permission to hunt.

    N.

  3. Knit Chic

    Knit Chic Guest

    I know someone who put an orange vest on one of those concrete (ugly) deer
    that she had in her yard. She had idiots shooting at her house.

    "Nancy1" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]

    > Dee Randall wrote:
    >> I happened to be standing in the kitchen window when I saw this deer
    >> running, then stumbling to the ground. It was not deer season. We
    >> hauled
    >> it away ourselves, but when we reported that it bothered us that someone
    >> had
    >> shot a deer on our property out of season, we got an answer several days
    >> later and one was that they wished they'd got the message as soon as it
    >> happened because there were hungry families. They said that 'these
    >> things
    >> happen.'
    >> Lesson to be learned? Wear orange hats all year 'round at our house;
    >> run-not-walk to the car.
    >>
    >> http://tinypic.com/i19zld.jpg
    >> http://tinypic.com/i19zja.jpg

    > Since it was out of season, no wonder the shooters didn't retrieve
    > their deer.
    >
    > In season, hunters should ask permission before hunting close to
    > occupied territory, so that they can retrieve deer who run onto
    > property they don't have permission to hunt on. Here in Iowa, I
    > believe it is legal (and desirable) for hunters to follow any wounded
    > deer and retrieve them...no permission is required. Some home-owners
    > are more attuned to this than others, and there are also properties
    > which are hunted with permission, but which hunters know that the
    > adjacent property owners will keep hunters off their property, no
    > matter the reason.
    >
    > Dead deer should always be removed to a locker promptly so the meat can
    > be donated.
    >
    > If I lived in hunting territory, I'd run a huge orange flag from the
    > top of my roof - just in case there were adjacent property owners who
    > gave hunters new to the area permission to hunt.
    >
    > N.

  4. Dee Randall

    Dee Randall Guest

    "Nancy1" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]

    > Dee Randall wrote:
    >> I happened to be standing in the kitchen window when I saw this deer
    >> running, then stumbling to the ground. It was not deer season. We
    >> hauled
    >> it away ourselves, but when we reported that it bothered us that someone
    >> had
    >> shot a deer on our property out of season, we got an answer several days
    >> later and one was that they wished they'd got the message as soon as it
    >> happened because there were hungry families. They said that 'these
    >> things
    >> happen.'
    >> Lesson to be learned? Wear orange hats all year 'round at our house;
    >> run-not-walk to the car.
    >>
    >> http://tinypic.com/i19zld.jpg
    >> http://tinypic.com/i19zja.jpg

    > Since it was out of season, no wonder the shooters didn't retrieve
    > their deer.
    >
    > In season, hunters should ask permission before hunting close to
    > occupied territory, so that they can retrieve deer who run onto
    > property they don't have permission to hunt on. Here in Iowa, I
    > believe it is legal (and desirable) for hunters to follow any wounded
    > deer and retrieve them...no permission is required. Some home-owners
    > are more attuned to this than others, and there are also properties
    > which are hunted with permission, but which hunters know that the
    > adjacent property owners will keep hunters off their property, no
    > matter the reason.
    >
    > Dead deer should always be removed to a locker promptly so the meat can
    > be donated.
    >
    > If I lived in hunting territory, I'd run a huge orange flag from the
    > top of my roof - just in case there were adjacent property owners who
    > gave hunters new to the area permission to hunt.
    >
    > N.

    This is good advice. The 100 acres behind us now has a new owner this
    summer. The dead deer on our property occurred when the last transfer of
    ownership happened. I assume that that owner told his buddies they could
    hunt on it. I don't mind people hunting deer on their own property, but
    bullets can really travel. I've heard the guns the last week -- might be
    muzzle season -- or they're getting ready.
    Dee Dee

  5. Dave Smith

    Dave Smith Guest

    Dee Randall wrote:eek:n.

    > This is good advice. The 100 acres behind us now has a new owner this
    > summer. The dead deer on our property occurred when the last transfer of
    > ownership happened. I assume that that owner told his buddies they could
    > hunt on it. I don't mind people hunting deer on their own property, but
    > bullets can really travel. I've heard the guns the last week -- might be
    > muzzle season -- or they're getting ready.

    Around here, there is a shotgun season for deer in more populated areas. The
    shot does not travel far, not like a high power rifle. There are a few guys
    that hunt from a tree blind about 600 yards from my house. I don't worry about
    it. There is a large open field. If we walk the dogs back there during hunting
    season we be sure to wear something bright. No grey, khaki or brown, and no
    especially no white hats or gloves. Deer blend in very well with the forest
    colours, and the tell tale sign of a white tail deer is that flash of white.

  6. Dee Randall

    Dee Randall Guest

    > "Nancy1" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]2000cwo.googlegroups.com...
    >>
    >> Dee Randall wrote:
    >>> I happened to be standing in the kitchen window when I saw this deer
    >>> running, then stumbling to the ground. It was not deer season. We
    >>> hauled
    >>> it away ourselves, but when we reported that it bothered us that someone
    >>> had
    >>> shot a deer on our property out of season, we got an answer several days
    >>> later and one was that they wished they'd got the message as soon as it
    >>> happened because there were hungry families. They said that 'these
    >>> things
    >>> happen.'
    >>> Lesson to be learned? Wear orange hats all year 'round at our house;
    >>> run-not-walk to the car.
    >>>
    >>> http://tinypic.com/i19zld.jpg
    >>> http://tinypic.com/i19zja.jpg

    >> Since it was out of season, no wonder the shooters didn't retrieve
    >> their deer.
    >>
    >> In season, hunters should ask permission before hunting close to
    >> occupied territory, so that they can retrieve deer who run onto
    >> property they don't have permission to hunt on. Here in Iowa, I
    >> believe it is legal (and desirable) for hunters to follow any wounded
    >> deer and retrieve them...no permission is required. Some home-owners
    >> are more attuned to this than others, and there are also properties
    >> which are hunted with permission, but which hunters know that the
    >> adjacent property owners will keep hunters off their property, no
    >> matter the reason.
    >>
    >> Dead deer should always be removed to a locker promptly so the meat can
    >> be donated.
    >>
    >> If I lived in hunting territory, I'd run a huge orange flag from the
    >> top of my roof - just in case there were adjacent property owners who
    >> gave hunters new to the area permission to hunt.
    >>
    >> N.

    "Knit Chic" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:jY%[email protected]
    >I know someone who put an orange vest on one of those concrete (ugly) deer
    >that she had in her yard. She had idiots shooting at her house.

    I had two concrete deer statues in my yard; one male, one female. A male
    deer completely destroyed the male deer statue. Twasn't a pretty sight.
    These things weigh a ton and have to be lifted into a truck to take to the
    junk yard. I often look out the window and mistake it for the real deer
    that come in my yard everyday.
    Dee Dee

  7. Doug Kanter

    Doug Kanter Guest

    "Dave Smith" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > Dee Randall wrote:eek:n.
    >
    >> This is good advice. The 100 acres behind us now has a new owner this
    >> summer. The dead deer on our property occurred when the last transfer of
    >> ownership happened. I assume that that owner told his buddies they could
    >> hunt on it. I don't mind people hunting deer on their own property, but
    >> bullets can really travel. I've heard the guns the last week -- might be
    >> muzzle season -- or they're getting ready.

    > Around here, there is a shotgun season for deer in more populated areas.
    > The
    > shot does not travel far, not like a high power rifle. There are a few
    > guys
    > that hunt from a tree blind about 600 yards from my house. I don't worry
    > about
    > it. There is a large open field. If we walk the dogs back there during
    > hunting
    > season we be sure to wear something bright. No grey, khaki or brown, and
    > no
    > especially no white hats or gloves. Deer blend in very well with the
    > forest
    > colours, and the tell tale sign of a white tail deer is that flash of
    > white.

    A slug will travel about 1500 feet under the right conditions - still enough
    to be interesting.

  8. Doug Kanter

    Doug Kanter Guest

    "Knit Chic" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:jY%[email protected]
    >I know someone who put an orange vest on one of those concrete (ugly) deer
    >that she had in her yard. She had idiots shooting at her house.

    The local news here (Rochester NY) mentioned that 6 hunters managed to get
    shot or shoot themselves in the first few days of the season. One guy's gun
    went off while he was loading his deer into the back of his truck. That
    violated a couple of safety rules that are obvious to the 16 year old kids I
    watch over at my gun club's youth rifle league. Anyway....eventually, bad
    hunters hopefully thin their own herd.

  9. Dee Randall

    Dee Randall Guest

    "Doug Kanter" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > "Knit Chic" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:jY%[email protected]
    >>I know someone who put an orange vest on one of those concrete (ugly) deer
    >>that she had in her yard. She had idiots shooting at her house.

    > The local news here (Rochester NY) mentioned that 6 hunters managed to get
    > shot or shoot themselves in the first few days of the season. One guy's
    > gun went off while he was loading his deer into the back of his truck.
    > That violated a couple of safety rules that are obvious to the 16 year old
    > kids I watch over at my gun club's youth rifle league.
    > Anyway....eventually, bad hunters hopefully thin their own herd.

    A reasonably young gyn physician in our area shot himself accidentally
    (dead) in hunting season. It so happens that DH seriously resembles that
    doctor. DH thought he must be really popular with a lot of young women, but
    then they started telling him that he was the spittin' image; they would
    give him either a huge smile or looks of puzzlement.
    Thank you for looking after the youngsters.
    Dee Dee

  10. ~patches~

    ~patches~ Guest

    Dee Randall wrote:

    > I happened to be standing in the kitchen window when I saw this deer
    > running, then stumbling to the ground. It was not deer season. We hauled
    > it away ourselves, but when we reported that it bothered us that someone had
    > shot a deer on our property out of season, we got an answer several days
    > later and one was that they wished they'd got the message as soon as it
    > happened because there were hungry families. They said that 'these things
    > happen.'
    > Lesson to be learned? Wear orange hats all year 'round at our house;
    > run-not-walk to the car.
    >
    > http://tinypic.com/i19zld.jpg
    > http://tinypic.com/i19zja.jpg

    Isn't shooting game out of season referred to as poaching? It's a shame
    some inconsiderate person did this. It could have been a hunter
    specifically trying to get the deer or a ticked off gardener trying to
    scare the deer away. I haven't heard of any cases in our immediate area
    but the vehicle/deer collisions are high this time of year. Tinypic
    wouldn't load for me so I didn't get to see the pics. Were you able to
    save the meat?

  11. Knit Chic

    Knit Chic Guest

  12. Dee Randall

    Dee Randall Guest

    "~patches~" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > Dee Randall wrote:
    >
    >> I happened to be standing in the kitchen window when I saw this deer
    >> running, then stumbling to the ground. It was not deer season. We
    >> hauled it away ourselves, but when we reported that it bothered us that
    >> someone had shot a deer on our property out of season, we got an answer
    >> several days later and one was that they wished they'd got the message as
    >> soon as it happened because there were hungry families. They said that
    >> 'these things happen.'
    >> Lesson to be learned? Wear orange hats all year 'round at our house;
    >> run-not-walk to the car.
    >>
    >> http://tinypic.com/i19zld.jpg
    >> http://tinypic.com/i19zja.jpg
    >>

    > Isn't shooting game out of season referred to as poaching? It's a shame
    > some inconsiderate person did this. It could have been a hunter
    > specifically trying to get the deer or a ticked off gardener trying to
    > scare the deer away. I haven't heard of any cases in our immediate area
    > but the vehicle/deer collisions are high this time of year. Tinypic
    > wouldn't load for me so I didn't get to see the pics. Were you able to
    > save the meat?

    No, we weren't able to. But too many reasons to write about as to why. I'd
    seen a couple of hunters scouting the area previously. I just thought they
    were getting ready for when the season came up. Guess they couldn't wait.
    I think they might have been leary to come into our property to get the dead
    deer or might not have even know it was down. The scarey thing to me is
    that there is a tree platform quite close to my property line --
    Dee Dee

  13. LT

    LT Guest

    > Isn't shooting game out of season referred to as poaching? It's a shame
    > some inconsiderate person did this. It could have been a hunter
    > specifically trying to get the deer or a ticked off gardener trying to
    > scare the deer away. I haven't heard of any cases in our immediate area
    > but the vehicle/deer collisions are high this time of year. Tinypic
    > wouldn't load for me so I didn't get to see the pics. Were you able to
    > save the meat?

    There is a lot of poaching that goes on everywhere game is plentiful. Just
    the nature of the beast (no pun) Just like no matter what the speed limit,
    there will always be speeders.

    Fortunately, hunting in most cases, even with poaching, has little effect on
    the herd numbers. Urban sprawl, pollution, deforestation etc. knocks off
    more than us humans can hunt down in most cases. But it still ticks me off
    to see idiots killing for meat out of season. Geez, ground beef at that
    Korger is probably less expensive then guns and ammo, and the possible
    fines.

    Larry T

  14. Doug Kanter

    Doug Kanter Guest

    "LT" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]

    >> Isn't shooting game out of season referred to as poaching? It's a shame
    >> some inconsiderate person did this. It could have been a hunter
    >> specifically trying to get the deer or a ticked off gardener trying to
    >> scare the deer away. I haven't heard of any cases in our immediate area
    >> but the vehicle/deer collisions are high this time of year. Tinypic
    >> wouldn't load for me so I didn't get to see the pics. Were you able to
    >> save the meat?

    > There is a lot of poaching that goes on everywhere game is plentiful. Just
    > the nature of the beast (no pun) Just like no matter what the speed limit,
    > there will always be speeders.
    >
    > Fortunately, hunting in most cases, even with poaching, has little effect
    > on
    > the herd numbers. Urban sprawl, pollution, deforestation etc. knocks off
    > more than us humans can hunt down in most cases. But it still ticks me off
    > to see idiots killing for meat out of season. Geez, ground beef at that
    > Korger is probably less expensive then guns and ammo, and the possible
    > fines.
    >

    > Larry T

    Mad cow disease has been found out West in some deer and other hunter-type
    game. The theory is that the prions which cause the disease are expelled in
    the urine of infected animals, and then deer & others graze on that grass.
    This should eventually thin the herds of hunters, although I know some very
    careful and responsible hunters who I hope will avoid this fate.

  15. Nancy Young

    Nancy Young Guest

    "Dee Randall" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > I happened to be standing in the kitchen window when I saw this deer
    > running, then stumbling to the ground. It was not deer season. We hauled
    > it away ourselves, but when we reported that it bothered us that someone
    > had shot a deer on our property out of season, we got an answer several
    > days later and one was that they wished they'd got the message as soon as
    > it happened because there were hungry families. They said that 'these
    > things happen.'
    > Lesson to be learned? Wear orange hats all year 'round at our house;
    > run-not-walk to the car.

    You see that guy on tv this morning? Painted dayglo orange stripes on
    his livestock, even down to the chickens.

    nancy