in deer season not neccessary to enjoy fresh venison

Dee Randall

Guest
I happened to be standing in the kitchen window when I saw this deer
running, then stumbling to the ground. It was not deer season. We hauled
it away ourselves, but when we reported that it bothered us that someone had
shot a deer on our property out of season, we got an answer several days
later and one was that they wished they'd got the message as soon as it
happened because there were hungry families. They said that 'these things
happen.'
Lesson to be learned? Wear orange hats all year 'round at our house;
run-not-walk to the car.

http://tinypic.com/i19zld.jpg
http://tinypic.com/i19zja.jpg

Dee Randall wrote:
> I happened to be standing in the kitchen window when I saw this deer
> running, then stumbling to the ground. It was not deer season. We hauled
> it away ourselves, but when we reported that it bothered us that someone had
> shot a deer on our property out of season, we got an answer several days
> later and one was that they wished they'd got the message as soon as it
> happened because there were hungry families. They said that 'these things
> happen.'
> Lesson to be learned? Wear orange hats all year 'round at our house;
> run-not-walk to the car.
>
> http://tinypic.com/i19zld.jpg
> http://tinypic.com/i19zja.jpg

Since it was out of season, no wonder the shooters didn't retrieve
their deer.

In season, hunters should ask permission before hunting close to
occupied territory, so that they can retrieve deer who run onto
property they don't have permission to hunt on. Here in Iowa, I
believe it is legal (and desirable) for hunters to follow any wounded
deer and retrieve them...no permission is required. Some home-owners
are more attuned to this than others, and there are also properties
which are hunted with permission, but which hunters know that the
adjacent property owners will keep hunters off their property, no
matter the reason.

Dead deer should always be removed to a locker promptly so the meat can
be donated.

If I lived in hunting territory, I'd run a huge orange flag from the
top of my roof - just in case there were adjacent property owners who
gave hunters new to the area permission to hunt.

N.

I know someone who put an orange vest on one of those concrete (ugly) deer
that she had in her yard. She had idiots shooting at her house.

"Nancy1" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> [...]

> In season, hunters should ask permission before hunting close to
> occupied territory, so that they can retrieve deer who run onto
> property they don't have permission to hunt on. Here in Iowa, I
> believe it is legal (and desirable) for hunters to follow any wounded
> deer and retrieve them...no permission is required. Some home-owners
> are more attuned to this than others, and there are also properties
> which are hunted with permission, but which hunters know that the
> adjacent property owners will keep hunters off their property, no
> matter the reason.
>
> Dead deer should always be removed to a locker promptly so the meat can
> be donated.
>
> If I lived in hunting territory, I'd run a huge orange flag from the
> top of my roof - just in case there were adjacent property owners who
> gave hunters new to the area permission to hunt.

This is good advice. The 100 acres behind us now has a new owner this
summer. The dead deer on our property occurred when the last transfer of
ownership happened. I assume that that owner told his buddies they could
hunt on it. I don't mind people hunting deer on their own property, but
bullets can really travel. I've heard the guns the last week -- might be
muzzle season -- or they're getting ready.
Dee Dee

Dee Randall wrote:eek:n.

> This is good advice. The 100 acres behind us now has a new owner this
> summer. The dead deer on our property occurred when the last transfer of
> ownership happened. I assume that that owner told his buddies they could
> hunt on it. I don't mind people hunting deer on their own property, but
> bullets can really travel. I've heard the guns the last week -- might be
> muzzle season -- or they're getting ready.

Around here, there is a shotgun season for deer in more populated areas. The
shot does not travel far, not like a high power rifle. There are a few guys
that hunt from a tree blind about 600 yards from my house. I don't worry about
it. There is a large open field. If we walk the dogs back there during hunting
season we be sure to wear something bright. No grey, khaki or brown, and no
especially no white hats or gloves. Deer blend in very well with the forest
colours, and the tell tale sign of a white tail deer is that flash of white.

> "Nancy1" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
>>
>> Dee Randall wrote:
>>> I happened to be standing in the kitchen window when I saw this deer
>>> running, then stumbling to the ground. It was not deer season. We
>>> hauled
>>> it away ourselves, but when we reported that it bothered us that someone
>>> had
>>> shot a deer on our property out of season, we got an answer several days
>>> later and one was that they wished they'd got the message as soon as it
>>> happened because there were hungry families. They said that 'these
>>> things
>>> happen.'
>>> Lesson to be learned? Wear orange hats all year 'round at our house;
>>> run-not-walk to the car.
>>>
>>> http://tinypic.com/i19zld.jpg
>>> http://tinypic.com/i19zja.jpg

>> Since it was out of season, no wonder the shooters didn't retrieve
>> their deer.
>>
>> In season, hunters should ask permission before hunting close to
>> occupied territory, so that they can retrieve deer who run onto
>> property they don't have permission to hunt on. Here in Iowa, I
>> believe it is legal (and desirable) for hunters to follow any wounded
>> deer and retrieve them...no permission is required. Some home-owners
>> are more attuned to this than others, and there are also properties
>> which are hunted with permission, but which hunters know that the
>> adjacent property owners will keep hunters off their property, no
>> matter the reason.
>>
>> Dead deer should always be removed to a locker promptly so the meat can
>> be donated.
>>
>> If I lived in hunting territory, I'd run a huge orange flag from the
>> top of my roof - just in case there were adjacent property owners who
>> gave hunters new to the area permission to hunt.
>>
>> N.

"Knit Chic" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:jY%[email protected]...
>I know someone who put an orange vest on one of those concrete (ugly) deer
>that she had in her yard. She had idiots shooting at her house.

I had two concrete deer statues in my yard; one male, one female. A male
deer completely destroyed the male deer statue. Twasn't a pretty sight.
These things weigh a ton and have to be lifted into a truck to take to the
junk yard. I often look out the window and mistake it for the real deer
that come in my yard everyday.
Dee Dee

"Dave Smith" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Dee Randall wrote:eek:n.
>
>> This is good advice. The 100 acres behind us now has a new owner this
>> summer. The dead deer on our property occurred when the last transfer of
>> ownership happened. I assume that that owner told his buddies they could
>> hunt on it. I don't mind people hunting deer on their own property, but
>> bullets can really travel. I've heard the guns the last week -- might be
>> muzzle season -- or they're getting ready.

> Around here, there is a shotgun season for deer in more populated areas.
> The
> shot does not travel far, not like a high power rifle. There are a few
> guys
> that hunt from a tree blind about 600 yards from my house. I don't worry
> about
> it. There is a large open field. If we walk the dogs back there during
> hunting
> season we be sure to wear something bright. No grey, khaki or brown, and
> no
> especially no white hats or gloves. Deer blend in very well with the
> forest
> colours, and the tell tale sign of a white tail deer is that flash of
> white.

A slug will travel about 1500 feet under the right conditions - still enough
to be interesting.

"Knit Chic" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:jY%[email protected]...
>I know someone who put an orange vest on one of those concrete (ugly) deer
>that she had in her yard. She had idiots shooting at her house.

The local news here (Rochester NY) mentioned that 6 hunters managed to get
shot or shoot themselves in the first few days of the season. One guy's gun
went off while he was loading his deer into the back of his truck. That
violated a couple of safety rules that are obvious to the 16 year old kids I
watch over at my gun club's youth rifle league. Anyway....eventually, bad
hunters hopefully thin their own herd.

"Doug Kanter" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> "Knit Chic" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:jY%[email protected]...
>>I know someone who put an orange vest on one of those concrete (ugly) deer
>>that she had in her yard. She had idiots shooting at her house.

> The local news here (Rochester NY) mentioned that 6 hunters managed to get
> shot or shoot themselves in the first few days of the season. One guy's
> gun went off while he was loading his deer into the back of his truck.
> That violated a couple of safety rules that are obvious to the 16 year old
> kids I watch over at my gun club's youth rifle league.
> Anyway....eventually, bad hunters hopefully thin their own herd.

A reasonably young gyn physician in our area shot himself accidentally
(dead) in hunting season. It so happens that DH seriously resembles that
doctor. DH thought he must be really popular with a lot of young women, but
then they started telling him that he was the spittin' image; they would
give him either a huge smile or looks of puzzlement.
Thank you for looking after the youngsters.
Dee Dee

Dee Randall wrote:

> I happened to be standing in the kitchen window when I saw this deer
> running, then stumbling to the ground. It was not deer season. We hauled
> it away ourselves, but when we reported that it bothered us that someone had
> shot a deer on our property out of season, we got an answer several days
> later and one was that they wished they'd got the message as soon as it
> happened because there were hungry families. They said that 'these things
> happen.'
> Lesson to be learned? Wear orange hats all year 'round at our house;
> run-not-walk to the car.
>
> http://tinypic.com/i19zld.jpg
> http://tinypic.com/i19zja.jpg

Isn't shooting game out of season referred to as poaching? It's a shame
some inconsiderate person did this. It could have been a hunter
specifically trying to get the deer or a ticked off gardener trying to
scare the deer away. I haven't heard of any cases in our immediate area
but the vehicle/deer collisions are high this time of year. Tinypic
wouldn't load for me so I didn't get to see the pics. Were you able to
save the meat?

"~patches~" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Dee Randall wrote:
>
>> I happened to be standing in the kitchen window when I saw this deer
>> running, then stumbling to the ground. It was not deer season. We
>> hauled it away ourselves, but when we reported that it bothered us that
>> someone had shot a deer on our property out of season, we got an answer
>> several days later and one was that they wished they'd got the message as
>> soon as it happened because there were hungry families. They said that
>> 'these things happen.'
>> Lesson to be learned? Wear orange hats all year 'round at our house;
>> run-not-walk to the car.
>>
>> http://tinypic.com/i19zld.jpg
>> http://tinypic.com/i19zja.jpg
>>

> Isn't shooting game out of season referred to as poaching? It's a shame
> some inconsiderate person did this. It could have been a hunter
> specifically trying to get the deer or a ticked off gardener trying to
> scare the deer away. I haven't heard of any cases in our immediate area
> but the vehicle/deer collisions are high this time of year. Tinypic
> wouldn't load for me so I didn't get to see the pics. Were you able to
> save the meat?

No, we weren't able to. But too many reasons to write about as to why. I'd
seen a couple of hunters scouting the area previously. I just thought they
were getting ready for when the season came up. Guess they couldn't wait.
I think they might have been leary to come into our property to get the dead
deer or might not have even know it was down. The scarey thing to me is
that there is a tree platform quite close to my property line --
Dee Dee

> Isn't shooting game out of season referred to as poaching? It's a shame
> some inconsiderate person did this. It could have been a hunter
> specifically trying to get the deer or a ticked off gardener trying to
> scare the deer away. I haven't heard of any cases in our immediate area
> but the vehicle/deer collisions are high this time of year. Tinypic
> wouldn't load for me so I didn't get to see the pics. Were you able to
> save the meat?

There is a lot of poaching that goes on everywhere game is plentiful. Just
the nature of the beast (no pun) Just like no matter what the speed limit,
there will always be speeders.

Fortunately, hunting in most cases, even with poaching, has little effect on
the herd numbers. Urban sprawl, pollution, deforestation etc. knocks off
more than us humans can hunt down in most cases. But it still ticks me off
to see idiots killing for meat out of season. Geez, ground beef at that
Korger is probably less expensive then guns and ammo, and the possible
fines.

Larry T

"LT" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

>> Isn't shooting game out of season referred to as poaching? It's a shame
>> some inconsiderate person did this. It could have been a hunter
>> specifically trying to get the deer or a ticked off gardener trying to
>> scare the deer away. I haven't heard of any cases in our immediate area
>> but the vehicle/deer collisions are high this time of year. Tinypic
>> wouldn't load for me so I didn't get to see the pics. Were you able to
>> save the meat?

> There is a lot of poaching that goes on everywhere game is plentiful. Just
> the nature of the beast (no pun) Just like no matter what the speed limit,
> there will always be speeders.
>
> Fortunately, hunting in most cases, even with poaching, has little effect
> on
> the herd numbers. Urban sprawl, pollution, deforestation etc. knocks off
> more than us humans can hunt down in most cases. But it still ticks me off
> to see idiots killing for meat out of season. Geez, ground beef at that
> Korger is probably less expensive then guns and ammo, and the possible
> fines.
>

> Larry T

Mad cow disease has been found out West in some deer and other hunter-type
game. The theory is that the prions which cause the disease are expelled in
the urine of infected animals, and then deer & others graze on that grass.
This should eventually thin the herds of hunters, although I know some very
careful and responsible hunters who I hope will avoid this fate.

"Dee Randall" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> I happened to be standing in the kitchen window when I saw this deer
> running, then stumbling to the ground. It was not deer season. We hauled
> it away ourselves, but when we reported that it bothered us that someone
> had shot a deer on our property out of season, we got an answer several
> days later and one was that they wished they'd got the message as soon as
> it happened because there were hungry families. They said that 'these
> things happen.'
> Lesson to be learned? Wear orange hats all year 'round at our house;
> run-not-walk to the car.

You see that guy on tv this morning? Painted dayglo orange stripes on
his livestock, even down to the chickens.

nancy