"In Defense of Sandra Lee"

Discussion in 'Food and nutrition' started by me, Jan 15, 2006.

  1. me

    me Guest

    Tags:

  2. serene

    serene Guest

    On Sun, 15 Jan 2006 13:01:06 -0600, me <[email protected]> wrote:

    >Article in the local free "alternative weekly" that may help explain
    >how SL keeps a show on Food Network...
    >
    >http://www.citypages.com/databank/27/1310/article14025.asp
    >
    >Not that I happen to agree ...

    Wow: " In another, she took cultural awareness to a new level by
    pouring Corn Nuts (yes, the preferred convenience store snack of
    Heathers everywhere) on a Kwanzaa cake. (Don't believe me? Run a
    search on the Food Network website.)"

    serene

  3. me <[email protected]> looking for trouble wrote in news:sd55117-
    [email protected]:

    > Article in the local free "alternative weekly" that may help explain
    > how SL keeps a show on Food Network...
    >
    > http://www.citypages.com/databank/27/1310/article14025.asp
    >
    > Not that I happen to agree ...
    >
    > sd

    Bwwwwwwwaaaaaahhhhhhaaaa... Cody sounds like a complete idiot. She needs
    to mimic the unpretentious <smirk> style of Sandra Lee. IMO her style is
    not unpretentious but kitchen ignorant.

    Michael

    --
    Pics aren't great but here are 2 of my 4 brats.
    Hoot about to snatch the snack out of my mouth:

    Ramsey ever curious about electronics breaking into the TMobile bag:
    http://tinypic.com/jtrwgn.jpg

  4. notbob

    notbob Guest

    On 2006-01-15, me <[email protected]> wrote:
    > Article in the local free "alternative weekly" that may help explain
    > how SL keeps a show on Food Network...

    Another wordsmith with nothing to say.

    Food network has her on because much of their lineup is crap and she
    fits right in. Her cooking is *not* "how most of America actually
    cooks". Most of America is not that stupid.

    nb

  5. serene wrote:
    > On Sun, 15 Jan 2006 13:01:06 -0600, me <[email protected]> wrote:
    > Wow: " In another, she took cultural awareness to a new level by
    > pouring Corn Nuts (yes, the preferred convenience store snack of
    > Heathers everywhere) on a Kwanzaa cake. (Don't believe me? Run a
    > search on the Food Network website.)"

    I'm remembering now why I don't have cable... ;)

    Karen MacInerney
    Kitchen experimenter, family chauffeur, and culinary mystery author
    www.karenmacinerney.com

  6. serene

    serene Guest

    On 15 Jan 2006 15:14:49 -0800, "Karen MacInerney"
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    >serene wrote:
    >> On Sun, 15 Jan 2006 13:01:06 -0600, me <[email protected]> wrote:
    >> Wow: " In another, she took cultural awareness to a new level by
    >> pouring Corn Nuts (yes, the preferred convenience store snack of
    >> Heathers everywhere) on a Kwanzaa cake. (Don't believe me? Run a
    >> search on the Food Network website.)"
    >>

    >I'm remembering now why I don't have cable... ;)

    Heh. Yep. I'm pretty clueless about all things TV (except for the
    handful of shows I watch with my partner on DVD at his house -- The
    West Wing, Lost, Alias, Buffy...)

    serene

  7. notbob wrote:
    > Food network has her on because much of their lineup is crap and she
    > fits right in. Her cooking is *not* "how most of America actually
    > cooks". Most of America is not that stupid.

    Um...

    Mr. Mencken says you're wrong.

    So do Mr. McDonald's, Mr. Frozen Pizza, and Mr. Twinkie...

    --Blair
    "The 'good food' aisle at the supermarket is not very long..."

  8. "Michael \"Dog3\" Lonergan" <[email protected]> writes:

    >Bwwwwwwwaaaaaahhhhhhaaaa... Cody sounds like a complete idiot. She needs
    >to mimic the unpretentious <smirk> style of Sandra Lee. IMO her style is
    >not unpretentious but kitchen ignorant.

    Yeah, what was that "unpretentious" about? The woman is one of the
    most pretentious hosts on television, and I'm including Emeril and Bobby
    Flay in that assessment. She won't even use a blender unless it's the
    same color as her decor.
    As for the article, it sounds like the author has been researching the
    subject right here on RFC. Some of what was in the article was almost
    verbatim from our discussions of the show.

    Stacia

  9. notbob

    notbob Guest

    On 2006-01-16, Blair P. Houghton <[email protected]> wrote:

    > Mr. Mencken says you're wrong.
    >
    > So do Mr. McDonald's, Mr. Frozen Pizza, and Mr. Twinkie...

    I don't know who "Mr. Mencken" is, but I'll take a Big Mac and a
    Twinkie any day before I'd eat some of the crap Sandy whips up.
    Using tomato soup for spaghetti sauce and putting ice cream in beer is
    simply absurd. There's no doubt in my mind she does a lot of it just
    to create controversy and get attention. Anyone can make a salami
    milkshake, but why would they?

    nb

  10. notbob wrote:
    > On 2006-01-16, Blair P. Houghton <[email protected]com> wrote:
    > Using tomato soup for spaghetti sauce and putting ice cream in beer is
    > simply absurd.

    I've had beer milkshake. It's not bad, if you use the right beer.

    > There's no doubt in my mind she does a lot of it just
    > to create controversy and get attention.

    That's what being 6 feet tall, skinny, and blonde does for her. The
    cooking thing
    is just so you won't think it's a still picture.

    --Blair

  11. Spitzmaus

    Spitzmaus Guest

    Blair P. Houghton sez:

    > I've had beer milkshake. It's not bad, if you use the right beer.

    In Steinbeck's "Cannery Row," Doc drinks a beer milkshake near the end of
    the novel; if I recall, he didn't much care for it.

    I like good beer. I like milkshakes. But not, I think, together.

    Spitz
    --
    "Home, James, and don't spare the horses!"

  12. notbob

    notbob Guest

    On 2006-01-16, Blair P. Houghton <[email protected]> wrote:

    > I've had beer milkshake. It's not bad, if you use the right beer.

    Nonsense. How many have you had since? My two favorite foods are
    beer and ice cream and I'd no more put them together than I'd put
    ketchup on a banana cream pie. Sand-for-brains has to do this stuff
    on purpose. No one with an ounce of good taste would mix the stuff
    she does.

    For example, the spaghetti sauce she did. She starts out sauteing
    onions and garlic and adds mushrooms and ground beef and herbs. This
    is dead on for the foundation of a good spaghetti sauce. All she had
    to do is add canned spaghetti sauce or just plain ol' canned tomato
    sauce or paste or puree. But, no. She adds a can of tomato soup!
    What a load of crap. Who do you know that would go through all that
    effort only to ruin it up with canned soup? She's ridiculous.

    nb

  13. Scott

    Scott Guest

    <http://www.io.com/gibbonsb/mencken/>

    --
    to respond (OT only), change "spamless.invalid" to "optonline.net"

    <http://www.thecoffeefaq.com/>

  14. -L.

    -L. Guest

    notbob wrote:
    > On 2006-01-15, me <[email protected]> wrote:
    > > Article in the local free "alternative weekly" that may help explain
    > > how SL keeps a show on Food Network...

    > Another wordsmith with nothing to say.
    >
    > Food network has her on because much of their lineup is crap and she
    > fits right in. Her cooking is *not* "how most of America actually
    > cooks". Most of America is not that stupid.
    >
    > nb

    Actually, I am convinced she is satire.
    -L.

  15. tsr3

    tsr3 Guest

    notbob wrote:
    > On 2006-01-16, Blair P. Houghton <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    > > Mr. Mencken says you're wrong.
    > >
    > > So do Mr. McDonald's, Mr. Frozen Pizza, and Mr. Twinkie...

    > I don't know who "Mr. Mencken" is, but I'll take a Big Mac and a
    > Twinkie any day before I'd eat some of the crap Sandy whips up.
    > Using tomato soup for spaghetti sauce and putting ice cream in beer is
    > simply absurd. There's no doubt in my mind she does a lot of it just
    > to create controversy and get attention. Anyone can make a salami
    > milkshake, but why would they?
    >
    > nb

    I've seen where she makes a root-beer float on her beer show, but when
    did she ever put ice-cream in regular beer?

  16. notbob

    notbob Guest

    On 2006-01-16, tsr3 <[email protected]> wrote:

    > I've seen where she makes a root-beer float on her beer show, but when
    > did she ever put ice-cream in regular beer?

    Well, don't I feel stupid! I didn't see the beer show and obviously
    mis-read the thread bashing her for her root beer float. I've seen
    a couple other shows, though, and she's still ridiculous. I quit
    watching.

    nb

  17. bobemeril

    bobemeril Guest

    There is no defense,and there is no excuse,for Sandra Lee.

  18. modom

    modom Guest

    On Mon, 16 Jan 2006 19:13:21 -0600, notbob <[email protected]> wrote:

    >On 2006-01-16, tsr3 <[email protected]> wrote:
    >>
    >> I've seen where she makes a root-beer float on her beer show, but when
    >> did she ever put ice-cream in regular beer?

    >Well, don't I feel stupid! I didn't see the beer show and obviously
    >mis-read the thread bashing her for her root beer float. I've seen
    >a couple other shows, though, and she's still ridiculous. I quit
    >watching.
    >
    >nb

    I rarely watch her, but I must admit she has two obvious talents.

    modom

  19. axlq

    axlq Guest

    In article <[email protected]>,
    modom <somebody> wrote:

    >I rarely watch her, but I must admit she has two obvious talents.

    Rachel Ray's are obviouser.

    -A