In it for the long haul...

Novelangel

Apr 28, 2016
I believe I heard from one person whose wife had ridden clear across the country once. Has anyone ever thought of attempting that long of a bike trip? Would you camp out in a tent along the way if you did, or stay in a hotel/motel? I've seen cyclists who have storage units attached to little trailers on the backs of their bikes... so I think they are 'long haul' riders. I imagine that they carry changes of clothing, food, drinks, maps... stuff like that perhaps.

Would you do it? Would you want to be out there in all types of weather for months on end, fixing your bike at the side of the road, visiting road-side rest stops or restaurants? Would you want to have to search for places to stay overnight? Would you travel in small, or large groups?

It's a very tantalizing idea. I find the life of long haul truckers quite interesting, so naturally I'm also fascinated by the idea of cross-country cycling as well. I'm in no shape at this moment to consider it myself but many of you are physically fit enough. Would you do it?

You'll need to have saved up quite a lot of money to pull it off.

I've heard of people who tour Europe on their bikes. It could take you over a year to to visit most places that are of interest and money that will last you that long since I presume you won't be working and touring at the same time.

But it is something I intend to do one day. It may not be the whole of Europe though — just 2 or three countries.

Reactions: Novelangel
When I was younger I thought of doing it but I never got round to it. I often see people that embark on this adventure and have heard some good stories but also some horror stories, like bikes getting stolen and being left with nothing. I think if you go as a group it's probably the best idea.

Yes, I too think that going in a group is the best way... kind of like staying with a tour group if you travel overseas. Perhaps you wouldn't have complete freedom to plan your own itinerary, but you would have more peace of mind and safety in numbers. Saving up money is a thing as well. This is probably something that you'd do with a LOT of planning in advance... definitely not a spur-of-the-moment trip. You'd have to find out approximately what things might cost all along the way, and try to save up for it. I'd rather have more than enough money I think.

I would love to do it, but my health wont allow it. I might be able to tour my state, but not across the whole country. Even at that I would need special accommodations.

I would love to do it, but my health wont allow it. I might be able to tour my state, but not across the whole country. Even at that I would need special accommodations.
There is another option. There are some really good camper vans that would take care of your special needs, and would allow you to still get to know a city by bicycle. I know it's not the same thing but life is made up of compromises.

Of course I already thought about that, I think every biker does! But it's not easy because you need a lot of money to stay at places and eat. Europe is going to build a huge bike road which will link all the countries, I'm definitely going for that!

There is another option. There are some really good camper vans that would take care of your special needs, and would allow you to still get to know a city by bicycle. I know it's not the same thing but life is made up of compromises.
I'm going to start small and work my way up as my health improves. It is safer that way. First my county, then my state. There are a lot of trails and places to explore where I live.

My state has varied climate zones from moist to arid. We have mountains (real mountains, not those rolling hills the east coast calls mountains), rain forest, desert, ocean shores, etc... The part I live in has a temperate climate, lots of trees, both deciduous and coniferous. Due to the amount of coniferous trees that stay green year round in the western half my state is often called the evergreen state. I guess the point is that I have a lot to explore in my own backyard.

If my husband would join me in my riding, we can probably do that - going on a ride for a long distance, spending the nights in motels, touring the countryside, etc. But I cannot do it alone because I am a female and it's risky to travel alone. Also, I wouldn't enjoy riding by myself unless I am on a leisure ride to admire the environment and that's not a long distance ride. Maybe if a small group would invite me with a ride of 1 week to the provinces, I would definitely join.

It is actually a wonderful thought, riding out and touring using your favorite bike. It sounds very adventurous and exciting. I however am not able to do such a thing now that I still have a small child but if I would be given the chance to do it someday, I think I would be more comfortable doing it with a group. There's strength in numbers as they say so it is also a safer choice to be in a group when cycling across the country. :)

I like the idea of starting out by just touring my own state. There are towns and back roads that I haven't seen yet and that would be pretty cool to be able to trace out a map of all the places I've been to on my bike. I think it would be cool to go out in the country and knock on doors, asking people if I can camp out on their land for the night and carry a tent and supplies with me. What an adventure that would be. Perhaps it's best to discover what is nearby before venturing out and touring the entire country. It would also build up my endurance for that long haul if I ever wanted to do one.

Reactions: gracer
I'm going to start small and work my way up as my health improves. It is safer that way. First my county, then my state. There are a lot of trails and places to explore where I live.

My state has varied climate zones from moist to arid. We have mountains (real mountains, not those rolling hills the east coast calls mountains), rain forest, desert, ocean shores, etc... The part I live in has a temperate climate, lots of trees, both deciduous and coniferous. Due to the amount of coniferous trees that stay green year round in the western half my state is often called the evergreen state. I guess the point is that I have a lot to explore in my own backyard.

Glad to hear this. Go at your pace and no one else's. Slow and sure that is the way to go, it really doesn't have to be that much at the beginning. That thing you hear them say in the movies, that the burning feeling is good, that is utter nonsense. The most important part is that you feel comfortable.
Sounds like you live in a really nice place it would be a wast not to explore it.

Hey there! That's awesome to hear! Just remember, when you're starting out, it's all about going at your own pace. No need to rush! ‍♀️ Take it slow and steady, and soon enough, you'll build up your endurance. Don't worry too much about that burning feeling, it's not necessary for a good ride. The key is to feel comfortable and enjoy yourself. And speaking of enjoyment, you're so lucky to live in a beautiful place! Get out there, explore, and soak up the scenery. Have a great time cycling!

Hey there! That's awesome to hear! Just remember, when you're starting out, it's all about going at your own pace. No need to rush! ‍♀️ Take it slow and steady, and soon enough, you'll build up your endurance. Don't worry too much about that burning feeling, it's not necessary for a good ride. The key is to feel comfortable and enjoy yourself. And speaking of enjoyment, you're so lucky to live in a beautiful place! Get out there, explore, and soak up the scenery. Have a great time cycling!

**** you bots

Now, there's an idea that's sure to give even the most seasoned cyclist a case of the "heebie-jeebies"! The thought of pedaling across the country, battling everything from blistering heat to freezing cold, and still finding the energy to set up a tent or hunt down a hotel... it's enough to make me want to trade my power meter for a rocking chair!

But hey, if you're the kind of person who finds adventure in the sweat of their brow and the gravel beneath their tires, then more power to you! I've always admired those long-haul riders with their clever trailers and survival skills. It's just not my cup of tea, or coffee, or energy gel, for that matter!

As for where I'd rest my weary head, I think I'd stick to hotels. Sure, it might be a bit pricey, but at least I won't have to worry about bears mistaking my tent for a giant, inflatable snack!

So, would I do it? Well, let's just say that my power meter and I will stick to our regularly scheduled training rides for now. But as for you, the open road awaits! Just remember to hydrate, eat well, and steer clear of any questionable-looking maps. Or better yet, bring a GPS!