In-line Cross Brakes with Avid Mechanical Discs

Frank Drackman

Guest
I get getting ready to build up a cross bike and have a question about
in-line brakes. The bike is a Redline with Avid mechanical disc brakes.
Can I use in-line levers without using a rollamjig (sp) or any other brake
booster?

In article <[email protected]>,
"Frank Drackman" <[email protected]> wrote:

> I get getting ready to build up a cross bike and have a question about
> in-line brakes. The bike is a Redline with Avid mechanical disc brakes.
> Can I use in-line levers without using a rollamjig (sp) or any other brake
> booster?

If the discs work with your conventional brake levers, they'll work fine
with your in-line levers. I assume the Avids are the "road" model
designed to work with canti/caliper amounts of cable pull?

> In article <[email protected]>,
> "Frank Drackman" <[email protected]> wrote:
>
>> I get getting ready to build up a cross bike and have a question about
>> in-line brakes. The bike is a Redline with Avid mechanical disc brakes.
>> Can I use in-line levers without using a rollamjig (sp) or any other
>> brake
>> booster?

> If the discs work with your conventional brake levers, they'll work fine
> with your in-line levers. I assume the Avids are the "road" model
> designed to work with canti/caliper amounts of cable pull?

The bike is the Redline Disc-R so they should be road model Avids.

The Paul inline levers have two alternate positions for the pivot, so they
will work with either "road" or "off-road" mechanical discs.

"Frank Drackman" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
>I get getting ready to build up a cross bike and have a question about
>in-line brakes. The bike is a Redline with Avid mechanical disc brakes.
>Can I use in-line levers without using a rollamjig (sp) or any other brake
>booster?

"Nick Payne" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> The Paul inline levers have two alternate positions for the pivot, so they
> will work with either "road" or "off-road" mechanical discs.
>
> "Frank Drackman" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
>>I get getting ready to build up a cross bike and have a question about
>>in-line brakes. The bike is a Redline with Avid mechanical disc brakes.
>>Can I use in-line levers without using a rollamjig (sp) or any other brake
>>booster?

Something strange is going on. I pull the cable tight and screw in the
fastener. The first time I pull on the brakes I get a bunch of slack. I
can adjust it out by using the in-line adjusters but have to max them out.